Weekly line thread: Eagles -13/13.5 at Texans

Hawkeye

Another week, another double-digit line.  This time, it's the second-largest spread of the year (behind Bills -14 vs Steelers), and don't be surprised if it moves up. On the one hand, it's a short week on the road against a team the Eagles rarely see, and the OTHER Houston/Philadelphia game will be on at the same time.  That's an easy spot for a big underdog to make things interesting.  On the other hand, Jalen Hurts is from Houston and has never played in front of his hometown crowd before and he is the unquestioned leader of this team. I don't see a let-up.

Remember when double-digit NFL favorites were almost always a loss ATS? Then, a few years ago, as analytics and technology cut into home-field advantage,  double-digit favorites started covering at a clip of around 53%.  Well, this season, road teams are covering 54%, but road favorites are only covering 46%.  This might be the first double-digit road favorite of the year, which lowers the degree of confidence even more.  

Side: Eagles -13/13.5
Total: 43.5
Moneyline: Eagles -750 - Texans +525

10 minutes ago, Hawkeye said:

Another week, another double-digit line.  This time, it's the second-largest spread of the year (behind Bills -14 vs Steelers), and don't be surprised if it moves up. On the one hand, it's a short week on the road against a team the Eagles rarely see, and the OTHER Houston/Philadelphia game will be on at the same time

No world series game on Thursday ... games in Philly today, tomorrow, and Wednesday and then travel day on Thursday (if needed to continue series in Houston for games 6 and 7 on Friday and Saturday).  

10 minutes ago, time2rock said:

No world series game on Thursday ... games in Philly today, tomorrow, and Wednesday and then travel day on Thursday (if needed to continue series in Houston for games 6 and 7 on Friday and Saturday).  

Good catch.  

• Thanks 1

Hmm another big line there but at this point I'm not going to go against the Eagles. I mean not that I'd back it anyway but yeah they keep proving me wrong. 

2 hours ago, time2rock said:

Unless it gets rained out tonight, but would be in Philly.

Phillies will be World Series Champs before the Eagles next game!!!! LFG!!!!

4 minutes ago, Portyansky said:

Good point.  

14 minutes ago, Portyansky said:

I was just going to ask what the weather is there.  I'm traveling and the only thing I saw was a tweet saying MLB and both teams are meeting to decide if it's a go.  They hope to have a decision by 6:30pm. 

6 hours ago, Hawkeye said:

Good catch.  

Now due to tonight’s game being postponed, there will be a World Series game on Thursday but will be in Philly.  

BC1AB5D5-954C-4FD5-AA16-406A12EDED23.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Now due to tonight’s game being postponed, there will be a World Series game on Thursday but will be in Philly.  

I enjoy 2-3-2 so much better than 2-2-1-1-1. If you’re the higher seed and you lose 4-1 because it never went back home, changing the layout wasn’t going to help you anyway. Getting games 6-7 in a close series at home is the true advantage. Plus the drop in jet lag and travel for the teams is huge. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Aerolithe_Lion said:

I enjoy 2-3-2 so much better than 2-2-1-1-1. If you’re the higher seed and you lose 4-1 because it never went back home, changing the layout wasn’t going to help you anyway. Getting games 6-7 in a close series at home is the true advantage. Plus the drop in jet lag and travel for the teams is huge. 

Yep.  Being the lesser seeded team the biggest advantage comes with being able to steal one of the first 2 games on the road.  Further helps to have THE best fan base in baseball!  :flex:

**Fingers crossed** we take care of business at home and this doesn’t need to go back to Houston.  

1 hour ago, time2rock said:

Weird how the Eagles are playing against Houston at the same time the Phillies are in the World Series, but Phillies will be at home celebrating the win by Nov 5!

• Like 1

Have seen many Texans fans say their game against the Titans the other day was one of the worst they’ve experienced. The only player Houston has that might do something is their rookie RB. That’s a guy I would like on the Eagles squad

13 hours ago, time2rock said:

I keep forgetting that the MLB season started late this year because of the lockout so the World Series is mostly in November.  Their TV partners are certainly unhappy.  Splits the audience.

Over their last 17 games against non-divisional opponents, the Houston Texans are 1-16

On 11/1/2022 at 10:34 AM, DaEagles4Life said:

It was at - 9 on Sunday afternoon and I didn't grab it, dummy 

It's now up to -14 and the total has risen 2 full points to 45.  Those numbers are prevailing at almost every book I track. There's a little bit of 45.5 out there if you're looking to go under.