Frank Reich (ex-Colts HC) -- HIRED BY CAROLINA AS HC

Hawkeye

Now that the Colts have fired Frank Reich, he's there's speculation that he might come back to the Eagles in some sort of consulting role.  He has a strong relationship with Siriani from their time together in Indy and could be a candidate for OC if Steichen leaves for a HC gig after the season. He's remained close to Howie and Lurie

Personally, I wouldn't do a thing that might upset the chemistry the Eagles have developed on offense. Reich is a big personality and was Nick's boss just two seasons ago.  I'm sure he'd be fine and know his role, but just having the guy who was so important in winning the Super Bowl could be a distraction.  It ain't broke.  Let's not fix it, Howie/Nick.

• Like 1

Doug should consider bringing him in to help develop Lawrence down in Jacksonville.  

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Doug should consider bringing him in to help develop Lawrence down in Jacksonville.  

That's a great idea. Because Lawrence is trending down big time. 

• Like 1

I would say No too. Leave the Coaching Staff as is. 

Wasn’t it just a couple of seasons ago that they had a few Consultants and seemed to be a disaster?

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, LacesOut said:

I would say No too. Leave the Coaching Staff as is. 

Wasn’t it just a couple of seasons ago that they had a few Consultants and seemed to be a disaster?

Yup, eleventy billion problems but an OC isn't one of them...

I'd only want Reich here if Sirianni made the call to do so.  As the HC, I think he should be allowed full control over being able to choose his own staff.  

My own personal feeling is, he isn't needed though.  Why mess with something that is clicking the way it has been.  

No thanks. Not on face value anyway. But if Sirianni wanted it and he cleared it with his coaches etc then maybe. But I think his role would need to be very clear and would have to ensure that he doesn't undermine anyone. And to be honest I'm not really convinced what he could bring? He was great here before but that was a different dynamic there. 

Not this year. Next year if Steichen gets a job as HC - I can see this happening, albeit Patullo or Johnson would be internal candidates for a promo as well.

11 hours ago, time2rock said:

Pretty much my thought.  Could be a toss up - especially if the Eagles lose Streichen this off season.  Reich has the Sirianni connection and past connection with the Eagles.  Nothing leads me to think he left on bad terms.

2023 would be fine. Especially if we loose our current OC.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Traveler Vic said:

2023 would be fine. Especially if we loose our current OC.

Maybe... I'm not sure I'm on board with any kind of run it back scenario. Reich was great in 2017 but I think a lot of that was down to the set up and the dynamic here. I'm not sure bringing him back to work for his former OC would yield the same results. 

• 1 month later...

Well if Steichen gets a job then it probably will be room, but that won’t happen until the off-season. I wonder if he is able to work this offense the same way Shane did though. 

I thought the FO brought in the Colt's OC that was fired with Reich - I wouldn't doubt that Reich could come in like Fangio as a consultant and still collect his Indy money.

• 1 month later...
On 12/9/2022 at 10:17 AM, EazyEaglez said:

Well if Steichen gets a job then it probably will be room, but that won’t happen until the off-season. I wonder if he is able to work this offense the same way Shane did though. 

If Steichen gets a HC job, and I think he will, it should be Brian Johnson as OC. I’m betting if they don’t promote him, some other team will look at him for their OC position. I’d rather not lose both coaches (Johnson and Steichen) that have been so instrumental in Jalen’s development. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nipples said:

If Steichen gets a HC job, and I think he will, it should be Brian Johnson as OC. I’m betting if they don’t promote him, some other team will look at him for their OC position. I’d rather not lose both coaches (Johnson and Steichen) that have been so instrumental in Jalen’s development. 

I know that Sirianni is willing to give up play calling, but he did come here to eventually call plays. I wonder if he resumes that role.

I don't want to say no outright.  We did win a SB with him as the OC,  but if Steichen leaves, I'm hoping we can do better. 

3 hours ago, JamesK said:

I don't want to say no outright.  We did win a SB with him as the OC,  but if Steichen leaves, I'm hoping we can do better. 

Reich was special in 2017 and he's a good OC and possibly HC (with the right set up). But we shouldn't go over old ground there I agree. 

18 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Reich was special in 2017 and he's a good OC and possibly HC (with the right set up). But we shouldn't go over old ground there I agree. 

Not only that, but Reich is still getting HC interviews even now... if he comes here as OC and has a good year, it's a pretty good bet that he's one-and-done before he is hired as a HC somewhere else. IMO it's not worth losing our top in-house candidate (Johnson) to rent Reich for one year.

• Like 1

On 1/13/2023 at 12:18 PM, nipples said:

Not only that, but Reich is still getting HC interviews even now... if he comes here as OC and has a good year, it's a pretty good bet that he's one-and-done before he is hired as a HC somewhere else. IMO it's not worth losing our top in-house candidate (Johnson) to rent Reich for one year.

I agree. If Steichen gets a HC job elsewhere, look for him to try to take Johnson with him as an OC. Only way to try to stop that is by promoting him to OC first. 

Now that scenario would leave an opening at QB coach, but I doubt Reich would go for that, even if it was something like assistant HC/QB coach. I'm sure someone will take him as an OC even if the HC interviews don't result in a hire for him. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I'm pleased for him. I think he deserved another chance at a HC gig. Mind you they have a QB issue just like the Colts did. 

Me too, I did want to see him sign with us for the remainder of the season, if for no other reason than the possibility of a second ring. I've been a Frank Reich fan since his college days (I'm a big Maryland fan, grew up 5 minutes from the campus).

• Like 2