Jeff Cook, co-founder of Alabama, dead at 73

VaBeach_Eagle

Many here may not be familiar with Alabama (the group), unless you like Country music. They were my favorite group, growing up in the 80's. So it's sad to see this news, though not exactly a shock, knowing his diagnosis from 2012. 

I was able to see them in concert 3 or 4 times, between 1982 and 2004.

Jeff Cook, co-founder of Alabama, dead at 73

Jeff Cook died Monday in Destin, Florida; band co-founder was diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease in 2012

By Janelle Ash | Fox News

Jeff Cook, the guitarist who co-founded the country supergroup Alabama, has died. He was 73.

The Hall of Famer was diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease in 2012 and disclosed his diagnosis in 2017. 

He died peacefully in his home in Destin, Florida Monday, his rep, Don Murry Grubbs, confirmed to Fox News Digital. 

"Cook was a champion in all he attempted, and he courageously faced his battle with a positive attitude," a press release announcing Cook's death stated.

Jeff Cook of Alabama died Monday. He was 73.

Jeff Cook of Alabama died Monday. He was 73. (Getty Images)

Tributes poured in from country stars, including Travis Tritt, who called Cook "a great guy and one heckuva bass fisherman."

Kenny Chesney shared a statement with The Associated Press regarding Cook’s passing.

"Jeff Cook, and all of the guys in Alabama, were so generous with wisdom and fun when I got to tour with them as a young artist," he said. "They showed a kid in a T-shirt that country music could be rock, could be real, could be someone who looked like me. Growing up in East Tennessee, that gave me the heart to chase this dream."

Jason Aldean took to Twitter Tuesday and shared an image of Cook and Alabama.

"So sad to hear of the passing of Jeff Cook. I spent a lot of my life listening to him play guitar, what an iconic sound he had. I got a chance to perform with him multiple times over the years and I will never forget it," he wrote.

Aldean shared a follow-up tweet that said, "RIP Mr. Jeff, you are a legend to many of us and your influence will be felt forever in country music."

(L-R) Alabama's Randy Owen, Jeff Cook and Teddy Gentry backstage at the Country Music Hall of Fame in 2016.

(L-R) Alabama's Randy Owen, Jeff Cook and Teddy Gentry backstage at the Country Music Hall of Fame in 2016. (Rick Diamond)

As a guitarist, fiddle player and vocalist, Cook — alongside cousins Randy Owen and Teddy Gentry — landed eight No. 1 songs on the country charts between spring 1980 and summer 1982, according to the Country Music Hall of Fame. 

The band’s biggest hits included "Song of the South" and "Dixieland Delight."

Cook went solo later on in his career. He also collaborated with the late Charlie Daniels as well as "Star Trek" star William Shatner. 

Jeff Cook, second from right, battled Parkinson's disease.

Jeff Cook, second from right, battled Parkinson's disease. (Jason Kempin/Getty Images)

He was inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame in 2005.

Survivors include his wife, Lisa, whom he married in 1995.

• Thanks 1

Greatest country band of all time - saw them at the York fair a few years back.  Even at that age they still had it.

RIP