NFL official on controversial Dallas Goedert no-call in Eagles loss: 'We didn't see a face mask on the field'

time2rock

NFL official on controversial Dallas Goedert no-call in Eagles loss: 'We didn't see a face mask on the field'

Eagles coach Nick Sirianni said regardless of the call, 'we have to protect the ball better'

Kerr.png.d41b1ebac8ebf209337d7e2227d63308.png

facemask.jpg

Getty Images

PHILADELPHIA -- The Philadelphia Eagles made plenty of mistakes to cost them a potential 9-0 start to the season, but one of those mistakes could have turned out differently. Officials missed a potential face mask penalty on the Commanders' Jamin Davis that resulted in a Dallas Goedert fumble midway through the fourth quarter, which significantly damaged the Eagles' chances of pulling off one of the biggest comebacks for the franchise in over a decade.  

Instead, Washington caused a turnover at Philadelphia's 31-yard line and got three points on the board as a result, ultimately beating the Eagles 32-21. Official Alex Kemp explained the no-call.

"We didn't see a face mask on the field," Kemp told PFWA pool reporter Zack Berman after the game. "As far as the review, we were reviewing whether he was down by contact or whether it was a fumble and then whether the Washington player who recovered the ball was also down by contact."

The CommandersJohn Ridgeway forced the fumble, which was a crucial turnover in a 23-21 game. 

"We have to have better ball security there," Eagles head coach Nick Sirianni said describing the controversial no-call. "We take a lot of pride in the way we protect the football. We were obviously loose with it there, that's how they got it out. The defense did a nice job of stopping them there, so we held them to three."

"Whether it was a face mask or whether it wasn't a face mask, it's hard for them to see at that time. I get it. We have to protect the ball better, and we didn't do a good job of that all game. We were loose with the football, and it came out and they got it."

Facing a 26-21 deficit with 7:38 to play, the Eagles had opportunities to score the go-ahead touchdown regardless of the penalty. A Quez Watkins fumble with 5:58 left and a controversial unnecessary roughness penalty on Brandon Graham after a third down sack with 1:45 left ultimately doomed Philadelphia and handed the Eagles their first loss of the year. 

Eagles quarterback Jalen Hurts won't look at the Goedert no-call as a reason the Eagles lost, especially with Philly having four turnovers -- three in the fourth quarter. There was too much food left on the table that went to waste. 

"We can go all day about that," Hurts said. "I think in reality, in the end, it's about us doing the things that we can and controlling the things that we can. I think tonight we weren't doing that at a high level. Today it got us. 

"It doesn't get you until it gets you and today it got us. We learn from it and we move forward."

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-official-on-controversial-dallas-goedert-no-call-in-eagles-loss-we-didnt-see-a-face-mask-on-the-field/

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, nipples said:

What’s infuriating about the missed face mask is the back judge had a CLEAR line of sight to that. 

during the replay it is also evident that the side judge, who was positioned right at the yard marker (and closer to the play) had a clear view of the play. so both officials missed a blatant and obvious infraction? i call BS. but even if they did "miss” the face mask, it borders incompetence on their part. that’s their efen job and they should at least be held accountable. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nipples said:

What’s infuriating about the missed face mask is the back judge had a CLEAR line of sight to that. 

But they had no trouble calling the late hit on the sideline where the runners foot was clearly still in bounds

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nipples said:

image.png.1cd1ed74830d918bb04506a4344b1016.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

They can see a holding from 20 - 30 yards away, but yet can't see an obvious facemask right in front of them. SMH.

How many sets of eyes do you need out there??!! I would assume that a few of the Refs are watching the ball and therefore would be able to see a blatant facemask.

Ugh!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Asg 15 said:

But they had no trouble calling the late hit on the sideline where the runners foot was clearly still in bounds

I'm angrier about the late hit call on Heinicke. 

How is the NFL trying to claim to take player safety into account when you allowed one of the top TEs in the league to be dragged down by his face mask with no call?  This also happened on a play that actually did result in injury.  

• Like 1

It's ridiculous that you can't challenge the play and reverse the decision. It was a huge factor in swinging the game. If you review a play to see if the player was down by contact then you should see the face mask grab. It's crazy that you can't then reverse the turnover and it makes zero sense. Without that face mask grab there is no fumble and no turnover.

It should have been a 15 yard penalty to WAS defense and Eagles keep the ball. It is agregious that by the rules they can't do that. 

4 hours ago, time2rock said:

image.png.1cd1ed74830d918bb04506a4344b1016.png

See what happens when people don't read carefully. The NFL wanted diversity and ended up with disability. It's like the blind leading the blind up there in Manhattan.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, PoconoDon said:

See what happens when people don't read carefully. The NFL wanted diversity and ended up with disability. It's like the blind leading the blind up there in Manhattan.

Refs are going to miss calls and not every call can be reviewable (otherwise the games would take 5 hours to complete).  However, for obvious and egregious misses like this they should be allowed to make or correct a call based on review so as not to have further impact on the outcomes of games.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, time2rock said:

Refs are going to miss calls and not every call can be reviewable (otherwise the games would take 5 hours to complete).  However, for obvious and egregious misses like this they should be allowed to make or correct a call based on review so as not to have further impact on the outcomes of games.  

It makes no sense that they could review the play to determine if the player was down but can't reverse when they see the face mask. I mean that's just outrageous. It's a very clear and obvious penalty there is no doubt. 

Like the BG one at the end, I think it was soft and I think they could have let it go. I'm not saying it was a terrible call but I think it was marginal and I think it was a matter of opinion. But the face mask one is just so bleeping obvious.