If you can do it over, would you have drafted Carson Wentz?

gameshowfan91

I think I would. Without Wentz, Eagles don't have a Super Bowl. And who would be current Eagles QB?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

You answered your own question.  "Without Wentz, Eagles don’t have a Super Bowl.”  That’s is likely an accurate assessment.  So how can any answer not be "yes”?  

• Like 8

I'm fine with the pick because we won the big one, but in a cosmic cheat code hypothetical do over with perfect hindsight, with everything else turning out as it is now?

Then no, in 2016 I stand pat and take Leonard Floyd or whoever falls out of that pretty stellar top 7 when we don't take Wentz (apart from Zeke), and do a smaller trade up in 2017 to take Mahomes, because Mahomes is the QB of his generation that settles the position for 10+ years and Wentz is  riding the pine on his 3rd team in 5 years.

• Like 5

Butterfly effect

We have to in order to assure we get to the SB. Additionally, We possibly don’t win a SB without picking Marcus Smith, Derek Barnett, Nelson Agholor, Mack Hollins, etc due to all the ramifications those picks had and Howie’s reactionary moves to those depleted positions.

• Like 1

I mean if that's the game.. Staying at our draft picks,  taking players that were still available at our pick... and sticking to players that were drafted only in the first 2 rounds...

2012 Nick Foles

2013 Lane Johnson

2014 Demarcus Lawrence

2015 Landon Collins

2016 Jalen Ramsey

2017 TJ Watt

2018 God-dert

2019 Josh Jacob's

2020 Justin Jefferson 

2021 Micah Parsons

2022 Jordan Davis

#dynasty

#8Superbowls

• Haha 1

I think there's a lot that goes in to that... Like do we know what we know now? I.e. he's not very good and his NFL career will soon be over. Or, are we redoing on the basis that we will win a SB even if we don't draft him? 

If the answer is we don't win the SB without Wentz then its an easy answer... Yes you'd draft him 100 times out of 100.

12 hours ago, time2rock said:

You answered your own question.  "Without Wentz, Eagles don’t have a Super Bowl.”  That’s is likely an accurate assessment.  So how can any answer not be "yes”?  

Pretty much.  If there were no championship then the discussion is easier but would not drafting Wentz still put the team on a path to win a championship (whether in 2017 or within another couple of years)?

Having said that, at the time I didn't want to trade that much assets for a QB.  I don't follow college that much but a lot of the usual analysis was that Goff and Wentz weren't that great but teams still take QBs high when they need one.  Back then I wanted to draft other positions especially since the defense lacked young talent, and wait for better QB talent.  The next year the Chiefs drafted Mahomes, then in 2018 Lamar Jackson was the last pick in the 1st round (traded to the Ravens from the Eagles because they didn't have any needs.).  

2 hours ago, Portyansky said:

Do we still win the SB? Bc at the end of the day, that's literally all that matters.

I think that is the crux. I think all else being equal - we don't have a Super Bowl Championship without Wentz as the starter. Ironically, I don't think we win the Super Bowl if Wentz doesn't get hurt. But you can't argue with History, we don't know what happens if Wentz isn't drafted here but we do know what did happen. And that means draft Wentz every time.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NOTW said:

Pretty much.  If there were no championship then the discussion is easier but would not drafting Wentz still put the team on a path to win a championship (whether in 2017 or within another couple of years)?

Having said that, at the time I didn't want to trade that much assets for a QB.  I don't follow college that much but a lot of the usual analysis was that Goff and Wentz weren't that great but teams still take QBs high when they need one.  Back then I wanted to draft other positions especially since the defense lacked young talent, and wait for better QB talent.  The next year the Chiefs drafted Mahomes, then in 2018 Lamar Jackson was the last pick in the 1st round (traded to the Ravens from the Eagles because they didn't have any needs.).  

Mahomes was largely unknown outside of some of the teams' draft rooms. So it isn't a given that he would have been on the Eagles' radar before he was sniped by another team.

22 minutes ago, Devaster said:

Mahomes was largely unknown outside of some of the teams' draft rooms. So it isn't a given that he would have been on the Eagles' radar before he was sniped by another team.

Perhaps.  But at the time, Howie hired 3 former QBs or QB coaches for the offense:  HC, OC and QB Coach.  He wanted a "QB University" to coach and train QBs (before his QB Factory comment, he wanted a University).  So if they didn't draft a QB that year, you would think they'd be evaluating all the QBs closely.  I also said the following year Lamar came out.  Just saying that they traded up for either Goff or Wentz and neither were worth it, they could have waited to draft a franchise QB another year.

The only point in time where I might do things differently, begins during the 2018 season. Pre-2018, I do nothing differently. Go back and have Carson get a haircut an hour before the Rams game and maybe he doesn't get hurt. Maybe we still go on to win the Super Bowl, but Nick never plays in 2017 and we likely never get the Philly Special. Having the Philly Special in our history is well worth Carson's ACL.

Win the Super Bowl this coming February and I wouldn't even change anything post-2018.

12 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Win the Super Bowl this coming February and I wouldn't even change anything post-2018.

I always say everything that has happened to me previously, whether good or bad, has led to what I am today.  I feel the same about this team with all events it has experienced … I think they all add up to having won a championship 5 years ago and have us positioned really well to potentially get another.  So no, I definitely wouldn’t change a thing.  

2 minutes ago, time2rock said:

I always say everything that has happened to me previously, whether good or bad, has led to what I am today.  I feel the same about this team with all events it has experienced … I think they all add up to having won a championship 5 years ago and have us positioned really well to potentially get another.  So no, I definitely wouldn’t change a thing.  

I think that the only thing that I'd have wanted done differently (in hindsight), is keep Nick, trade Carson and let Nick play out whatever he could become with the Eagles. 

• Like 3

I was a Foles guy. I would have traded Wentz that 2018 Superbowl offseason for a boatload of picks and recoup what you gave up originally. It was his team after that Superbowl and Foles was barely 29 years old. He deserved that opportunity in bringing us our only Superbowl Championship ever. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

I think that the only thing that I'd have wanted done differently (in hindsight), is keep Nick, trade Carson and let Nick play out whatever he could become with the Eagles. 

I love Foles and how he always presented and handled himself.  Knowing what we know now I definitely would have chosen him to continue his career here over Ginger Jesus.  Do have to wonder how the butterfly effect would have altered things.  Would Hurts even be here and if so would he have gotten a chance to play?  Would we be sitting here 11 weeks into the season with the best record.  Etc.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, time2rock said:

I love Foles and how he always presented and handled himself.  Knowing what we know now I definitely would have chosen him to continue his career here over Ginger Jesus.  Do have to wonder how the butterfly effect would have altered things.  Would Hurts even be here and if so would he have gotten a chance to play?  Would we be sitting here 11 weeks into the season with the best record.  Etc.

Who would be head coach in this case: Pederson? Sirianni? Someone else? Does Doug get his wish to promote Press Taylor?

3 hours ago, gameshowfan91 said:

Who would be head coach in this case: Pederson? Sirianni? Someone else? Does Doug get his wish to promote Press Taylor?

Yep, would include those on the same list of  butterfly effect questions.  

If I knew everything that I know now. Of course I would have done it differently . I would not have moved up....With players like Joey Bosa, Michael Thomas, Jalen Ramsey, Tyreek Hill available I would have selected the best of the bunch. And gotten some better picks in another rounds. Wentz cost us. The only thing that I am grateful for is that Colts took him off our hands. He was bad juju in the locker room from the very beginning.

8 minutes ago, Traveler Vic said:

If I knew everything that I know now. Of course I would have done it differently . I would not have moved up....With players like Joey Bosa, Michael Thomas, Jalen Ramsey, Tyreek Hill available I would have selected the best of the bunch. And gotten some better picks in another rounds. Wentz cost us. The only thing that I am grateful for is that Colts took him off our hands. He was bad juju in the locker room from the very beginning.

Do you think Eagles win Super Bowl without drafting Wentz?

2 hours ago, Traveler Vic said:

But they don't win the SB without him. So yeah OK maybe they've have ended up with a better player who would have been here for longer but they don't win the SB in 2017. Is that a trade off you're willing to make?

4 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

But they don't win the SB without him. So yeah OK maybe they've have ended up with a better player who would have been here for longer but they don't win the SB in 2017. Is that a trade off you're willing to make?

Assuming that is indeed the case (i.e. that we don't win the Super Bowl if we hadn't taken Wentz ... likely a safe assumption), that is a ridiculous trade off.  

• Like 1