Weekly line thread: Eagles -5.5 vs. Titans

Hawkeye

This line opened at Eagles -6, then immediately dropped to -5.5.  The Titans have been money this season, going 8-3 ATS, including 4-2 on the road.  They're near the bottom of the league in most offensive categories, including points scored. Their run game, however, is 12th, and Derrick Henry is having another terrific year, starting all 11 games. He's run for over 1,000 yards and 10 TDs.  The Eagles could get Jordan Davis back this week, but Chauncey Gardner-Johnson may be out for a while. Tennessee QB Ryan Tannehill is the definition of mediocrity. 

The Eagles need to avoid a letdown - this is a sneaky tough spot coming between the prime-time matchup with Rodgers and their first game against the hated Giants.  Keep an eye on the ML as a potential gauge of sharp action.   

Line: Eagles -5.5
Total: 44.5
Moneyline: Eagles -240/Titans +200

CJGJ may be out but I think I trust Blankenship’s tackling ability more.  He may not offer the same playmaking ability CJGJ does but against a mediocre passing / more of a run-based offense Blankenship should be fine.  

I'm surprised by the -5 because we haven't been good against the run and Henry is one of the best

I still think we win though

16 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

Our defense might not be able to stop them, but our offense can outscore them.

This.

Eagles 31

Titans 23

• Like 1

Tough game against a tough opponent.  Eagles have always had trouble with this team after it moved from Houston.  Against the Tenn. Titans, Eagles are 1-5, only win being by a Chip Kelly team in 2014

• Like 2

Tennessee QB Ryan Tannehill is the definition of mediocrity. 

This should be irrelevant. Gannon will make him look like an all-pro

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

I think he Henry is gonna torch our bad tackling Lb and secondary if he gets past the d line.  God I hope not but let’s be real our defense can’t tackle!

-5.5 on the road... Hmm. 

Titans are coming off a bad loss but Henry is absolutely going to have his way with our defense. He's going to go off for over 200 yards.

• Sad 1

I think people need to pump the brakes on the 'Henry is going to brutalise our defense' a bit,  in the last 3 games Henry has struggled to break 3 yards a carry, and one of those games was the Packers, who are pretty much the worst rushing defense in the league that we just whomped for a franchise record, Henry's a great back but he isn't unstoppable right now.

5 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

-5.5 on the road... Hmm. 

Titans are coming off a bad loss but Henry is absolutely going to have his way with our defense. He's going to go off for over 200 yards.

It's in Philly 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

I think people need to pump the brakes on the 'Henry is going to brutalise our defense' a bit,  in the last 3 games Henry has struggled to break 3 yards a carry, and one of those games was the Packers, who are pretty much the worst rushing defense in the league that we just whomped for a franchise record, Henry's a great back but he isn't unstoppable right now.

I agree. Think teams with a decent secondary can load the box all game and dare them to throw.

14 hours ago, wrestlevessel said:

How about our special teams? Bring back David Fipp.

Don’t think it would matter. The biggest issue with special teams is they don’t prioritize ST at the back end of the roster like they used to. They’d always keep a few guys who were special teams demons but not so much defensive players. Now STs is made up of guys they’re just keeping on the roster to develop as future starters(like Dean) and role players for the defense. 

30 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Is it? Oh... Oh yeah we then have 3 straight road games right?

Indeed, giants Chicago then Dallas 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NJWolverEagle11 said:

Indeed, giants Chicago then Dallas 

Got to think if we win Sunday we can get to 13 wins by Christmas...

20 hours ago, Prime said:

Catch an L against some AFC team and keep it moving. No worries. 

Heck no, our one loss is in the division, so losing to TN would put us only one game up on Dallas (assuming they beat the Colts), and then the Christmas Eve game would become a must win, since Dallas is ahead of us on the Division record tiebreaker, in the event that we end the season with them with the same record.

23 hours ago, Greenakers2 said:

Eagles - 5 and under I think.

The over hit before halftime Sunday night...that's wild. 

6 hours ago, jsdarkstar said:

I'm concerned this could be a trap game. ;)

I don't think playing teams 3 games over 0.500 are considered "trap games". 

The Titans may be the greatest 12th in yards per game rushing and 22nd in yards per carry run offense in NFL History.

2022 King Henry is the best 4.2 per carry runner there ever was.

We are doomed!

The Titans ran for 307 on the Texans (and scored 17). They average 104.5 per game in the other 10 games.

• Like 1

Can anyone name a starting OL for the Titans without looking them up?

PFF grades

•  sub in a 73.0 if the concussed guy comes back

Titans wins:

• Texans
  • Colts x2
  • Bad Commanders (Wentz)
  • Vegas
  • Broncos
  • Packers

They are not the steamroller run game boogeyman of the past.