Devonta Smith

Quez Watkins

Miles Sanders

Avonte Maddox

Jordan Davis

Fletcher Cox

Brandon Graham

Josh Sweat

That is by and large, the starters on practically the entire offense, and the defensive line plus Maddox.  Pretty impressive if you ask me. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

So 15 players that you need to go back over a decade to fully get while some of them were drafted by Chip and not Howie.

Yeah, super impressed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Procus said:

Impact starters drafted by the Eagles:

Jalen Hurts

Lane Johnson

Jason Kelce

Jordan Mailata

Landon Dickerson

Isaac Semulo

Dallas Goeddert

Devonta Smith

Quez Watkins

Miles Sanders

Avonte Maddox

Jordan Davis

Fletcher Cox

Brandon Graham

Josh Sweat

That is by and large, the starters on practically the entire offense, and the defensive line plus Maddox.  Pretty impressive if you ask me. 

Happy Holidays, Howie. Thanks for checking in. 

• Haha 9

41 minutes ago, Swoop said:

So 15 players that you need to go back over a decade to fully get while some of them were drafted by Chip and not Howie.

Yeah, super impressed.

Who was drafted by Chip?  Lane Johnson was a Howie pick.  Who cares when they were drafted for that matter.  Retaining veteran talented players for their entire careers speaks well of the organization, not poorly.  They were all picked by the Eagles, they're home grown, and they occupy the starting positions on a large part of the team, a 10-1 team at the moment. 

10 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

2013 was Howie's draft. You can assign 2014 and 2015 to Chip or mostly Chip or whatever.

Thank you.  FWIW, I don't see anyone on that list who was drafted in 2014 or 2015.

Just now, Road to Victory said:

Howie still hasn’t drafted an All-Pro. 

Lane Johnson is a two time All-Pro

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Procus said:

Thank you.  FWIW, I don't see anyone on that list who was drafted in 2014 or 2015.

I always attributed Lane as a Chip pick, because there was split power there, that eventually Chip took over. 

Especially because he was so sweaty for Dion Jordan, but Miami took him.

1 minute ago, Swoop said:

I always attributed Lane as a Chip pick, because there was split power there, that eventually Chip took over. 

Remember when Miami traded up to draft Dion Jordan so the Eagles wouldn't draft him :roll:

• Like 1

The trick to all these people who put Howie in the middle of the pack is they never tell you who the top 10 GMs are for comparison.

There is not a GM on any team who has built 2+ SB winners in the last 10 years that is not mostly on the GoaT Brady elevating some mediocre players.

• Jerry Reese had 2 SB wins, but he just got there in 2007. He had what? 2 good 1st round picks in 11 years? (left after 2017)
  • Kevin Colbert was great in the 2000s. Pittsburgh has not won a playoff game in 5 years and their team is a mess now.
  • Ozzie Newsome was the man in Baltimore. He's a legend. He is gone and the new guy is not getting it done.

The clown in LA is hilarious. He hit big on 3 players in the draft in 11 years (Donald, Gurley, Kupp). He's 89-82-1 and falling fast. F dem picks, baby!

Howie > Les Snead. Howie is 110-93-1 and rising. 2 of his 4 losing seasons in 13 years are on Chump Kelly's fire sale.

Its fair to put Schneider in Seattle ahead of him for now but that team is trending way down.

Brandon Beane did great for his first 3 drafts in Buffalo including Josh Allen. The last 3, not so much. If he wins a SB this year maybe he steps ahead of Howie?

Brett Veach got to KC in 2017 after Kelce and Hill.  Mahomes was a great pick. Who else? Maybe a couple OLs in 2021?

Veach also picked Mahomes the same way Howie picked Foles. (Andy is the QB guy with final say)

Let me know if anyone has another GM to put ahead of Howie.

• Like 7

22 minutes ago, Road to Victory said:

Howie still hasn’t drafted an All-Pro. 

Jordan Poyer also says hello.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

The trick to all these people who put Howie in the middle of the pack is they never tell you who the top 10 GMs are for comparison.

There is not a GM on any team who has built 2+ SB winners in the last 10 years that is not mostly on the GoaT Brady elevating some mediocre players.

• Jerry Reese had 2 SB wins, but he just got there in 2007. He had what? 2 good 1st round picks in 11 years? (left after 2017)
  • Kevin Colbert was great in the 2000s. Pittsburgh has not won a playoff game in 5 years and their team is a mess now.
  • Ozzie Newsome was the man in Baltimore. He's a legend. He is gone and the new guy is not getting it done.

The clown in LA is hilarious. He hit big on 3 players in the draft in 11 years (Donald, Gurley, Kupp). He's 89-82-1 and falling fast. F dem picks, baby!

Howie > Les Snead. Howie is 110-93-1 and rising. 2 of his 4 losing seasons in 13 years are on Chump Kelly's fire sale.

Its fair to put Schneider in Seattle ahead of him for now but that team is trending way down.

Brandon Beane did great for his first 3 drafts in Buffalo including Josh Allen. The last 3, not so much. If he wins a SB this year maybe he steps ahead of Howie?

Brett Veach got to KC in 2017 after Kelce and Hill.  Mahomes was a great pick. Who else? Maybe a couple OLs in 2021?

Let me know if anyone has another GM to put ahead of Howie.

I always hear people slobbering over Dallas draft. 

Could you put Jerry/Stephen over Howie?

30 minutes ago, 315Eagles said:

I always hear people slobbering over Dallas draft. 

Could you put Jerry/Stephen over Howie?

No. They kill it in round 1 (more than most) and then fall on their faces after that.

They also have 2 playoff wins since 1997.

2016 was a good draft but in retrospect maybe drafting a bad QB and later moving on to one better than Dak would have been good for them.

If there was an award for drafting a QB who can only dominate DC and NY then give them that award.

There are also lots of ways to grade a draft.

Big V and Mills were not 2 of my favorites but they were 5th and 7th round picks heading towards 100+ games played.

That's mostly what those rounds are for. Richard Sherman, Jason Kelce, George Kittle,  and Jordan Mailata types are pretty rare that low.

Is 1st round Dillard a bust because 7th round Mailata took his job after an injury? You won't be able to judge him for another few years.

• Like 1

Just misses on absolute elite stud WRs. No offense to Smith. Other than that, I'm not too upset with him. He's a much better in season and FA guy. And money guy obviously.

But we talking about the draft, not the game, but the draft... (AI voice)

11 hours ago, Procus said:

Lane Johnson is a two time All-Pro

Chip Kelly pick. 

11 hours ago, SkippyX said:

Jordan Poyer also says hello.

Chip Kelly pick. 

1 minute ago, Road to Victory said:

Chip Kelly pick. 

Chip Kelly pick. 

Wrong and Wrong.

Chip took over in 2014

• Like 1

Just so everyone is on the same page. No GM in NFL history picks players by himself. There are probably 10-15 people involved in the process.

Brett Veach deserves credit for every player he drafted for the Chiefs just like Howie does. John Schneider does not show up with a copy of the NFL.com player rankings and wing it and nail the LoB in rounds 1,5, and 5.

We can understand that Andy was heavily involved in the process and even more so with QBs.

Chip very publicly demoted Howie in 2014-2015. That was a very specific period of time where a GM was taken out of the process by a madman.

The lunatic finished up 8-23 in his last 2 years as HC in the NFL (Kotite Lite) and those 2014 and 2015 drafts were not very good.

• Like 1

I don't think anyone has argued us being good at drafting offensive players (outside of WR). A lot of our woes come from unsuccessfully addressing the defensive side of the ball through the draft and keep having to pay out in FA. This will have to change moving forward if we want to keep our offensive group together. Need an overhaul on the DL badly with cheap contracts.

12 hours ago, Procus said:

Who was drafted by Chip?  Lane Johnson was a Howie pick.  Who cares when they were drafted for that matter.  Retaining veteran talented players for their entire careers speaks well of the organization, not poorly.  They were all picked by the Eagles, they're home grown, and they occupy the starting positions on a large part of the team, a 10-1 team at the moment. 

12 hours ago, SkippyX said:

2013 was Howie's draft. You can assign 2014 and 2015 to Chip or mostly Chip or whatever.

12 hours ago, Swoop said:

Especially because he was so sweaty for Dion Jordan, but Miami took him.

34 minutes ago, Road to Victory said:

Chip Kelly pick. 

Chip Kelly pick. 

32 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

Wrong and Wrong.

Chip took over in 2014

Here's the thing about Chip and Howie.  When they fired Reid and went after the innovative offensive mind that originally turned down an NFL offer and had to be sold by the Eagles on taking the job, Howie noted (as he does for any new Head Coach) that he's going to find out what kind of players the Head Coach wants for his scheme and draft them.  The consensus was that there would be "the big 3" OTs drafted in the top 4 plus Jordan.  They said whichever OT fell they would take.  There were talks Chip wanted Dion Jordan of course.

It's a collaboration of the scouts, coaches and GM of course, but the GM has "the final say."  But look at the rest of the 2013 draft and then the 2014 draft before Chip was in power.  He drafted from the PAC conference he came from.  At the time, people criticized taking Zach Ertz because he was from the PAC and fans wanted a tougher TE.  Chip also drafted Matt Barkley from USC, Poyer from Oregon St.  The next year Chip's influence was even more obvious when they drafted Jordan Matthews, Josh Huff from Oregon, Taylor Hart from Oregon, Ed Reynolds from Stanford.

Also with Lane Johnson, it was the #4 pick.  Howie has done better in the top 12 when the talent was more obvious, he's done poorly later in the round.  Lane Johnson was a no-brainer pick, albeit a great one for the franchise.

12 hours ago, Procus said:

Remember when Miami traded up to draft Dion Jordan so the Eagles wouldn't draft him :roll:

I think Chip would have traded the entire draft to Tennessee to take Mariota...could you imagine if that had happened?

Actually, based on the 2015 Eagles draft class, I guess it would have had no effect!

All coaches and GMs miss on picks, whether early, late, or mid rounds. Take a look at any list of 1st round draft picks from any draft you can name. Chances are, you will look at that list, and ask: Who TF is that? Fairly often.  I'm happy with Howie. He gets things wrong sometimes, but his cap and trade wizadry make up for that. He's doing fine, especially since Chip left.