Bryan Bresee (Clemson DL) -- DRAFTED BY NEW ORLEANS #29

D-Shiznit

Draft Profile: Bio
Bryan Bresee from Damascus High School had a huge 134 career tackles, including 80.5 for loss, with 35 sacks and also made 47 tackles in 2019, including 30.5 tackles for loss with 14 sacks while also adding two forced fumbles, a fumble recovery, and a pass breakup. As a result, he was ranked as the number one overall prospect in the country and was rated a 5-star recruit by both ESPN and 247 Sports. Following high school, Bresee opted to join Clemson where In 2020 as a freshman Bresee saw action in 12 games and played a total of 430 snaps for the Tigers. He recorded 18 tackles, and 3 assists while adding 19 stops. As a pass rusher, he added 26 total pressures, which included 16 QB hurries, 6 QB hits, and 4 sacks on the season. His contribution wasn't ignored as he was named a Freshman All-American by The Athletic, ESPN, and Rivals. Breese also received the ACC Defensive Rookie of the Year award.

As a sophomore for the Tigers in 2021 Bresee played in just 4 games (152 total snaps) after having his season cut short by a torn ACL. During these four games, he recorded 7 tackles, and 4 assists while adding 7 stops. As a pass rusher he chalked up 10 total pressures, 6 QB hurries, 3 QB hits, and one sack during the year.
Bresee was surprisingly awarded a Third-team All-ACC selection despite being limited to four games.

Scouting Report: Strengths
  • Amazing physical attributes with elite power and agility for his size
  • Made Bruce Feldman's Freak's List - ranked #14. He wrote "The former five-star was a third-team All-ACC selection (15 tackles, three TFLs) despite being limited to four games due to a torn ACL in late September. Bresee benched 435 pounds, power-cleaned 330, and deadlifted 585. He has vertical-jumped 30 inches, but the most impressive number is him clocking in the high 4.7s in the 40."
  • Bresee plays with leverage and brings good power, especially in his lower body, consistently holding up against double teams in the run game.
  • Elite strength and balance to sit down, lockout, and create a pile, leading to possibilities inside and out (in the 3-4).
  • Finds the ball well and explodes into the backfield at the snap to disrupt passing lanes and find ball carriers.
  • Plays with leverage at the point of attack whether inside or outside. Keeps eyes in the backfield when inside; moves linemen to either side with strong hands.
  • He has the lateral agility and balance to cover two gaps, and Bresee shows some good closing burst when moving down the line in pursuit.
  • While he can win with leverage and is capable of dipping around the edge, he is better at winning on inside counter moves with a combination of quickness and violent hands.
  • He’s strong at the point of attack against the run, able to hold his own when asked to play inside and battle double teams. Bresee has outstanding lateral movement skills and is quick to slip blocks with the speed to cover a lot of ground in pursuit.
  • He’s very instinctive when it comes to countering and solid with overall hand usage.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
  • Main concern with Bresee is the ACL injury and whether he will be the same player he was prior to the injury
  • Often plays upright and struggles with leverage - technique to shed or redirect blockers is not elite.
  • Possesses excellent weight-room strength, although it doesn't always translate onto his play - change of direction skills are only average.
  • Needs to do a better job of being the aggressor and tossing blockers aside.
Scouting Report: Summary
Bryan Bresee was destined to be a potential NFL star until an ACL injury cut his season short. He has an elite combination of strength and speed that reminds us a little of Ndamukong Suh. 2022 will be massive for him as it will determine whether he will be a top selection or merely a late first/second-round pick.

He is one of 4 D-Lineman I want with the Saints pick.
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, D-Shiznit said:

He is one of 4 D-Lineman I want with the Saints pick.

Who’s your #3 DT? There’s some NT types I like later - but I haven’t worked out who I’d like later on day 1/2.

1 hour ago, Waiting4Someday said:

Who’s your #3 DT? There’s some NT types I like later - but I haven’t worked out who I’d like later on day 1/2.

Marlon’s little brother, Tuli Tuipulotu. He’s not the athlete Carter or Bresee are, but he’s relentless and plays with great leverage.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

Marlon’s little brother, Tuli Tuipulotu. He’s not the athlete Carter or Bresee are, but he’s relentless and plays with great leverage.

Yeah, I like him. Watched him during the PAC championship - seems kind of in the mold of Milton… 3T, play some DE, etc. Not a 5T per say, more of an attacking type player.

• Like 1

I'm not a fan. Looks sluggish and heavy on his feet. Doesn't go well in the run game

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

The more I think about it, I think the Eagles should seriously consider Bresee at 10. He would be a perfect 5 technique if we are indeed going towards a 3-4 base defense. I expect the Eagles to do a ton of homework on Bresee. I think the Eagles could resign Cox. So Bresee, Davis and Cox on the front would be very good.

• Like 1

I've seen a good deal of Bresee and he's solid, but not at 10 for me. Good hustle player, but I see him in the 20 to 25 range ... 10 is too rich.

On 3/3/2023 at 11:16 AM, philafan4o8 said:

The more I think about it, I think the Eagles should seriously consider Bresee at 10. He would be a perfect 5 technique if we are indeed going towards a 3-4 base defense. I expect the Eagles to do a ton of homework on Bresee. I think the Eagles could resign Cox. So Bresee, Davis and Cox on the front would be very good.

Could probably trade down a little and still get him. 

• Like 1

Outside Witherspoon and Paris Johnson as the two realistic options at 10. If both are gone, I would not mind the Eagles trading back from 10 into the 12-15 range and securing Bresee. If they drafted Bresee at 10, I would not mind either. Athletic freak with all the tools to be great in the NFL. Injuries are a concern but you have to trust your medical staff if they think he passes their pre-draft physical. Bresee is a top 10 talent and I would not be upset with him next to Jordan Davis. Run defense up the middle would be stout for years!

21 minutes ago, philafan4o8 said:

Outside Witherspoon and Paris Johnson as the two realistic options at 10. If both are gone, I would not mind the Eagles trading back from 10 into the 12-15 range and securing Bresee. If they drafted Bresee at 10, I would not mind either. Athletic freak with all the tools to be great in the NFL. Injuries are a concern but you have to trust your medical staff if they think he passes their pre-draft physical. Bresee is a top 10 talent and I would not be upset with him next to Jordan Davis. Run defense up the middle would be stout for years!

Since we already have Davis would Klancey bet a better fit?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, judunno said:

Since we already have Davis would Klancey bet a better fit?

Bresee isn’t a nose tackle. But it will all depend on the defense. Bresee can be a 5 technique or a 3. Klancey is a pass rusher. Bresee has shown flashes or pass rush ability when not hurt. Very solid against the run too. I think he is better overall but I could be wrong 

Just now, philafan4o8 said:

Bresee isn’t a nose tackle. But it will all depend on the defense. Bresee can be a 5 technique or a 3. Klancey is a pass rusher. Bresee has shown flashes or pass rush ability when not hurt. Very solid against the run too. I think he is better overall but I could be wrong 

Getting a lot of Donald comparisons with Klancey. Explosive and disruptive. If i had to choose I'd go Klancey based on that and his medical history.

11 minutes ago, judunno said:

Getting a lot of Donald comparisons with Klancey. Explosive and disruptive. If i had to choose I'd go Klancey based on that and his medical history.

If you are draft Klancey expecting Donald, that’s a risky game. Donald was more consistent and put up better numbers with two double digit sack season. Last season almost 28.5 TFL compared to Kancey’s 14.5. Again Kancey could end up being really good but he is not that great in the run game. We will see Forsure

To be fair, Bresee is going to be more of a projection given his injury history. But his tape is solid and the Eagles need players that can do it all.

Again, Kancey could be all world but I am not buying the hype and them comparing him to Donald is a disservice and almost disrespectful to Donald

1 hour ago, philafan4o8 said:

If you are draft Klancey expecting Donald, that’s a risky game. Donald was more consistent and put up better numbers with two double digit sack season. Last season almost 28.5 TFL compared to Kancey’s 14.5. Again Kancey could end up being really good but he is not that great in the run game. We will see Forsure

To be fair, Bresee is going to be more of a projection given his injury history. But his tape is solid and the Eagles need players that can do it all.

Again, Kancey could be all world but I am not buying the hype and them comparing him to Donald is a disservice and almost disrespectful to Donald

Guess I need to learn how to spell his name 😆

• 1 month later...