Player discussion - Miles Sanders

T-1000

If you take out the Giants game which Sanders left early, he averaged 18.6 touches per game over the last 8 games including the playoff game against Seattle.

Let's say he averages 19 touches per game this coming season which I think is a very reasonable number.

He averaged 4.6 YPC last season which is really high. So we will give him a slight regression to 4.3 YPC.

He averaged 10 YPR last season which seems about right.

So if he gets 16 rushes per game at 4.3 a pop that is 68.8 rushing yards per game.

Three receptions a game at 10 yards per gives him 30 yards per game.

That gives a pretty fair projection in my opinion of 1,100 rushing yards and 480 yards receiving.

I also don't believe that if the Eagles bring in a veteran RB it's going to effect his touches much if at all. They aren't signing Freeman who turned down 4 million from the Seahawks. If they sign Shady he will be insurance and maybe get a few touches per game. The same goes for anyone else available that they could possibly bring in. This is Sanders back field and the breakout year is happening. Quite honestly, I think if anything my projection could be a bit conservative as I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him go for 1,200 and 500.

Curious as to what everyone else thinks.

35 minutes ago, T-1000 said:

If you take out the Giants game which Sanders left early, he averaged 18.6 touches per game over the last 8 games including the playoff game against Seattle.

Let's say he averages 19 touches per game this coming season which I think is a very reasonable number.

He averaged 4.6 YPC last season which is really high. So we will give him a slight regression to 4.3 YPC.

So if he gets 16 rushes per game at 4.3 a pop that is 68.8 rushing yards per game.

That gives a pretty fair projection in my opinion of 1,100 rushing yards and 480 yards receiving.

I also don't believe that if the Eagles bring in a veteran RB it's going to effect his touches much if at all. They aren't signing Freeman who turned down 4 million from the Seahawks. If they sign Shady he will be insurance and maybe get a few touches per game. The same goes for anyone else available that they could possibly bring in. This is Sanders back field and the breakout year is happening. Quite honestly, I think if anything my projection could be a bit conservative as I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him go for 1,200 and 500.

Guess it depends. Doug hasnt ever had a back like Sanders since with the eagles.

In 2016 Ryan Mathews was the main ball carrier but he couldnt play 16 games and was also hampered by heavy boxes as the passing game with a rookie qb with DGB and jordan matthews scared no one.

2017 had an older Blount ,trade for ajayi after a few games and rookie undrafted Clement all sharing carries blount was leading rusher with 700 something yards.

2018 Ajayi looked like he was going to be a workhorse and gets hurt early eagles go with rookie Josh Adams as leading rusher with something 500+ yards.😒

Last year Howard and Sanders split carries Howard gets hurt Sanders gets bulk until last 4 games where Scott is sprinkled in mind you with zero WRs 

This year if jackson can be healthy and any body else can step up and be accounted for the running lanes should bigger and i think if doug sticks to the run like he did in 2017 well see Sanders get the Bulk and Scott get some, whoever the 3rd Back is will get some scraps but i imagine it will be thr sanders and scott show.

Hopefully Marty Morhinwhig isnt in pedersons ear telling him to pass 60 times a game😡

If doug sticks to the run i think the last 4 games of last year are a good projective measure.

1 hour ago, Utebird said:

Hopefully Marty Morhinwhig isnt in pedersons ear telling him to pass 60 times a game😡

Doug does enough on his own to pass 60 a game. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Need an RB who can carry the load if Sanders gets hurt.  Not sure Scott can do that and Clement has to get healthy and make the team first.  Most teams carry two, sometimes three, legit backs for this reason.  Problem is the Eagles don't like to invest a lot at RB and Sanders may not be thick enough to withstand a heavy pounding.  In fantasy, every year, backups come out of the woodwork and have a good or even great season.  We need a guy like that at RB.  Just not sure who it is yet.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Miami said:

Need an RB who can carry the load if Sanders gets hurt.  Not sure Scott can do that and Clement has to get healthy and make the team first.  Most teams carry two, sometimes three, legit backs for this reason.  Problem is the Eagles don't like to invest a lot at RB and Sanders may not be thick enough to withstand a heavy pounding.  In fantasy, every year, backups come out of the woodwork and have a good or even great season.  We need a guy like that at RB.  Just not sure who it is yet.

This team made the playoffs with Josh Adams as the lead back. While it would be nice to have a group of RBs 3 or 4 deep to carry the load its not realistic.

If Sanders goes down then eagles will have to find a way to effectively run the ball.

I think improved weapons in the passing game will lead to a more effective run game regardless of who the back is.

I think Sander's stats last year are not reflective of what his true potential is.  If you remember, he was pretty much invisible out there despite a lot of touches for the first 1/3 of the season.  Once he took off though, he was unstoppable.  I expect a pro bowl caliber performance from him this year in this offense. 

• Like 1

Providing the Sanders we get (and in fact perhaps even slightly better as he will have more experience and a greater understanding) is the one from those last 8 games then he could be on for a huge year. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Utebird said:

This team made the playoffs with Josh Adams as the lead back. While it would be nice to have a group of RBs 3 or 4 deep to carry the load its not realistic.

If Sanders goes down then eagles will have to find a way to effectively run the ball.

I think improved weapons in the passing game will lead to a more effective run game regardless of who the back is.

Only took 4 posts for someone to start complaining about the back ups lol. Not even what this thread is about. 

• Like 1

With 12 personnel and this offensive line, I could see Sanders dominating this year.  He struggled in the beginning of his rookie season (as many rookies do), because he wasn't seeing the right holes, and he had a few costly fumbles.  You could still see the explosion and talent was there.  His confidence is through the roof right now, and with more speed/weapons on offense this year, he should have even more space to make plays.  

I predict way more than 480 receiving yards.  I'll say 750.  I think they really want to utilize him in the passing game rather than run him into the ground.   

4 hours ago, Utebird said:

Josh Adams was the lead back in that season, but that was not by design and there was no other options.  Glad that worked out OK.  But surely not as the standard to go with.

Sanders will be the lead RB and he is expected to have a good season.  The concern is who is there if Sanders is hurt.  The back-ups on the roster now don't provide a lot of confidence to fill in.  FA is other way to go.  They need to fit in the system and in reasonable price.  The FO does not seem to be in a hurry to do that.  Perhaps they have more confidence in the guys already here than the fans feel.

Doug will do what Doug always does- start the 1st 3-5 games throwing too much and losing 2 games because of it, then as EVERYONE and their mother start screaming "Run the damn ball!", he starts balancing the offense, with good results. Happens every year with Doug.

21 hours ago, T-1000 said:

I think 1,500 total would be great.  I don't want him getting the ball 25 times a game and wearing down at the end of.the season.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MediterraneanDiet said:

I think 1,500 total would be great.  I don't want him getting the ball 25 times a game and wearing down at the end of.the season.  

I certainly think 1,500 is achievable for him. I can see 900 rushing yards and 600 receiving yards. Or perhaps slightly less rushing yards but add in a few decent returns. 

He's got a nice balanced skill set and had a great rookie year.  He'll have all the opportunity to excel this year and should have a monster year.

8 hours ago, NOTW said:

He's got a nice balanced skill set and had a great rookie year.  He'll have all the opportunity to excel this year and should have a monster year.

But what about his fumbling issue?

1 hour ago, EagleVA said:

ESPN and NFL.com have his stats at 2 fumbles but I thought there were a couple more.

Regardless, they were earlier in his rookie year. He had the issue at PSU. The Eagles have been working with him on it. He had a fantastic end to the season. 

The fumbles don't negate everything else he's done. Definitely need to watch the fumbles though. 

Screenshot_20200611-201352_Chrome.jpg

1 hour ago, EagleVA said:

Dalvin Cook had 5 fumbles last year. Didn't you want him? Derrick Henry also had 5.

Kamara, Carlos Hyde had 4. Zeke and Gurley 3.

Sanders: 2

2 minutes ago, NOTW said:

ESPN and NFL.com have his stats at 2 fumbles but I thought there were a couple more.

No, there weren't a couple of more, those two fumbles came in the same game.

Point being, everyone jumped over me, including you when I said he wouldn't have a fumbling problem.

1 minute ago, EagleVA said:

Point being, everyone jumped over me, including you when I said he wouldn't have a fumbling problem.

2 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Dalvin Cook had 5 fumbles last year. Didn't you want him? Derrick Henry also had 5.

Kamara, Carlos Hyde had 4. Zeke and Gurley 3.

Sanders: 2

8 hours ago, EagleVA said:

You didn't say he  "wouldn't" have a fumbling problem. You said he "didn't" have a fumbling problem in college

12 hours ago, EagleVA said:

3 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

You didn't say he  "wouldn't" have a fumbling problem. You said he "didn't" have a fumbling problem in college

Exactly.  Then he said his fumbles were from behind after long runs.  I then posted all the plays he fumbled on at Penn State, and the majority of them happened on plays less than 5 yards.  

Here is an example.

image.png.17ffc109d00004acdc7e8d46d3281b16.png

On 6/9/2020 at 7:50 PM, T-1000 said:

The Eagles' offense couldn't stretch the field last year without Jackson. We addressed that potential issue this year. There should actually be a little more running room this year and I actually expect the YPC to go up. I'm not so sure I expect Sanders' touches to increase. The offense can be much more efficient this year if enough players stay healthy. If it is, they will probably try to keep players healthy.

At this point and with this team let’s just hope he finishes a full season without injuries, cause this groups seems snake bitten.