We should have locked up TJ Edwards long term

Cochis_Calhoun

It's looking likely that Edwards is going to be in the All Pro conversations (Statistically in terms of cover linebacker he's pacing Fred Warner who's considered a benchmark) and more and more it looks a mistake that we only gave him a one year deal for peanuts last year (he's the dead lowest paid LB on the team), the guy was playing solid football last year with a couple of outstanding games and we probably could have got him for 2 or 3 years even if we offered him $5mill a year (which isn't even top 30), instead looking at the cap situation, barring some sort of miracle on the cap number the guys going to make bank next year and likely play his prime years somewhere else. It's no way to build a long term roster.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

It's looking likely that Edwards is going to be in the All Pro conversations (Statistically in terms of cover linebacker he's pacing Fred Warner who's considered a benchmark) and more and more it looks a mistake that we only gave him a one year deal for peanuts last year (he's the dead lowest paid LB on the team), the guy was playing solid football last year with a couple of outstanding games and we probably could have got him for 2 or 3 years even if we offered him $5mill a year (which isn't even top 30), instead looking at the cap situation, barring some sort of miracle on the cap number the guys going to make bank next year and likely play his prime years somewhere else. It's no way to build a long term roster.

I like Edwards but I can't imagine he'd be in the all pro conversation.

Sure he has a lot of tackles and how many of those are 5 yards down field?

He had a stretch of about 3 games where he and the eagles were getting shredded in the  run game 

Some of that can be attributed to the loss of Davis but even with Davis eagles were still only 15th against the run.

I've been Impressed with his improvement in coverage he's improved there but I don't think to the point he's an all pro.

Be interesting to see what Howie does, Edwards and kyzir white are both FAs at years end 

Kyzir has been solid in coverage but has made zero splash plays all year🤷‍♂️

And Edwards is the green dot guy and I'm not as high on Dean as some but if it came down to white or Edwards I'm re signing Edwards.

If he wants to test FA we have Nkobe Dean who is going to be pretty good. 

They can’t re-sign everyone and who knows what Edwards can command in a contract. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Utebird said:

I like Edwards but I can't imagine he'd be in the all pro conversation.

Sure he has a lot of tackles and how many of those are 5 yards down field?

He had a stretch of about 3 games where he and the eagles were getting shredded in the  run game 

Some of that can be attributed to the loss of Davis but even with Davis eagles were still only 15th against the run.

I've been Impressed with his improvement in coverage he's improved there but I don't think to the point he's an all pro.

Be interesting to see what Howie does, Edwards and kyzir white are both FAs at years end 

Kyzir has been solid in coverage but has made zero splash plays all year🤷‍♂️

And Edwards is the green dot guy and I'm not as high on Dean as some but if it came down to white or Edwards I'm re signing Edwards.

PFF have him in their team of the year so far and rated 3rd overall of all linebackers, in terms of coverage stats (passer rating allowed, completion percentage, yards allowed per catch etc) he's first or second in the big ones.

He's done it quietly but he has done it.

• Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

PFF have him in their team of the year so far and rated 3rd overall of all linebackers, in terms of coverage stats (passer rating allowed, completion percentage, yards allowed per catch etc) he's first or second in the big ones.

He's done it quietly but he has done it.

That's great that TJ is up there in coverage stats but all pro LBs need to be all pro against the run, and I'm not sure TJ is.

Eagles and TJ have just been so inconsistent against the run that I couldn't in good conscience say TJ has played at an all pro level.

• Like 2

I like TJ in coverage but I feel like he's been a liability in the run game. His pursuit angle/attempted tackle to allow Tannehill to pick up the 1st on the 4th down scramble yesterday was embarrassing.

1 hour ago, GoEagles614 said:

If he wants to test FA we have Nkobe Dean who is going to be pretty good. 

They can’t re-sign everyone and who knows what Edwards can command in a contract. 

Was somewhat hopeful we'd retain Edwards and let White walk (with Dean sliding into his spot).  Don't like the thought of losing 2 starting LBs and if only losing 1 would prefer it not be Edwards.  

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Was somewhat hopeful we'd retain Edwards and let White walk (with Dean sliding into his spot).  Don't like the thought of losing 2 starting LBs and if only losing 1 would prefer it not be Edwards.  

Sure. It’s not even the off-season yet. Who knows what kind of deals these guys take, especially after walking into the playoffs. 

41 minutes ago, time2rock said:

I agree

I’m 100% okay with Reddick-Dean-White if it means we dodge a super contract someone gives to TJ

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, LacesOut said:

They cannot pay everyone. So some of these good D players will leave.

I think I would take TJ over White. 

Indeed.  Without a doubt.  But I would also take Bradberry and/or CJGJ over TJ.  It really is a matter of how much they will want and what we can afford to do since, like you said, we won't be able to pay everyone.  

If some team decided to way overpay TJ then hopefully that leads to a decent comp pick in 2024.

• Like 3

I really hope Hurts takes a somewhat team-friendly contract. That'd be huge to keep many FAs.

6 hours ago, beto_eagles said:

I really hope Hurts takes a somewhat team-friendly contract. That'd be huge to keep many FAs.

Next man up

19 hours ago, time2rock said:

Indeed.  Without a doubt.  But I would also take Bradberry and/or CJGJ over TJ.  It really is a matter of how much they will want and what we can afford to do since, like you said, we won't be able to pay everyone.  

If some team decided to way overpay TJ then hopefully that leads to a decent comp pick in 2024.

This is a good reason why the Eagles have a top five pick with the Saints (they probably trade down and get another first or two) and their own. They can’t pay everyone, but at least they can draft some guys to fill some holes too. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, beto_eagles said:

I've been saying it for a while now.... I wonder if Hurts takes a page out of the TB12 playbook and doesn't ask to be the highest paid QB and instead allows the team to have cap to build the team. TB12 GOAT never been highest paid. 10 SBs 7 rings later, I'm pretty sure that's worth it. And for the Karens...don't give me any crap his wife was rich too. He obviously didn't give a crap about that.

10 minutes ago, Portyansky said:

I've been saying it for a while now.... I wonder if Hurts takes a page out of the TB12 playbook and doesn't ask to be the highest paid QB and instead allows the team to have cap to build the team. TB12 GOAT never been highest paid. 10 SBs 7 rings later, I'm pretty sure that's worth it. And for the Karens...don't give me any crap his wife was rich too. He obviously didn't give a crap about that.

You will know where this stands if Jalen signs after this season of if he waits till the following season. People may have forgotten, but the Wentz contract was lauded by some as this great deal for the Eagles too when it happened. Regardless of the size of the contract, Howie can and will manipulate it to how he sees fit anyways. Still if Jalen takes a deal after this year then it’s probably a mutually agreeable deal for both parties, but if waits till the following season then he’s betting on himself. The Eagles also could be an issue here. What if they aren’t willing to sign Jalen after one season and they need a two year prove it type thing? They also have two franchise years in their back pocket also. This situation might be a bit more complicated than Brady. 

50 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

And who would that be Minshew? 

What does Minshew have to do with that. Hurts isn't going to low-ball himself. That would be idiotic. Next man up for FA's. Every team deals with that. Fans asking players to take less money for their professional career (in a sport with short career lengths) has always been laughable to me.

On 12/5/2022 at 10:24 AM, Cochis_Calhoun said:

It's looking likely that Edwards is going to be in the All Pro conversations

tenor (1).gif

1 hour ago, EazyEaglez said:

This is a good reason why the Eagles have a top five pick with the Saints (they probably trade down and get another first or two) and their own. They can’t pay everyone, but at least they can draft some guys to fill some holes too. 

I'm am completely torn between the possibility of taking an elite defender (say there is a Bosa caliber edge rusher sitting there) and getting a handful of extra high picks with that early 1.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, time2rock said:

I'm am completely torn between the possibility of taking an elite defender (say there is a Bosa caliber edge rusher sitting there) and getting a handful of extra high picks with that early 1.  

I guess if there’s a game changing player there the Eagles will take them, but Howie does love to collect all those picks.