Sunday Ticket moving to YouTube TV

nipples

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2022/12/22/nfl-sunday-ticket-youtube-tv.html

Guess Google won the bidding. I was happy to see the DTV deal ending, but this doesn’t seem too much better. YTV is already approaching cable/satellite prices.

I was hoping Apple or Amazon would get it so I don’t have to pay $70 for the TV service plus whatever their Sunday Ticket add-on is going to cost. Why can’t the NFL be like every other sports league and have a stand-alone streaming packing without having to be tied to a full-blown TV service?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nipples said:

I was hoping Apple or Amazon would get it so I don’t have to pay $70 for the TV service

I mean, it is in the article you posted

image.png.1c1a03e2816b4aad223477d78634ddf8.png

26 minutes ago, downundermike said:

I mean, it is in the article you posted

image.png.1c1a03e2816b4aad223477d78634ddf8.png

Oh crap, you’re right. The link I put up was to a different article from the one I actually read :lol:

In that case, good deal. As long as they don’t price it outrageously. 

They need to break it down even more and let you subscribe to individual teams. I don't want Patriots games, or Broncos games. But I want Eagles games. 

Someone else may want all games, so have a package for them to subscribe to everything. 

But I guess that's too complicated. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

Boo!!

Apparently there will be a standalone option without needing a YouTube TV sub, which is exactly what I wanted 😆 

1 minute ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

They need to break it down even more and let you subscribe to individual teams. I don't want Patriots games, or Broncos games. But I want Eagles games. 

Someone else may want all games, so have a package for them to subscribe to everything. 

Yeah that would be nice. I know NBA and MLB both have single team packages, which is what I opt for. 

For Sunday ticket I’d probably want the full package, because I do watch a ton of other games. But be nice to have the option. 

3 minutes ago, nipples said:

Apparently there will be a standalone option without needing a YouTube TV sub, which is exactly what I wanted 😆 

Still would have preferred Amazon and not YouTube

3 minutes ago, nipples said:

Yeah that would be nice. I know NBA and MLB both have single team packages, which is what I opt for. 

For Sunday ticket I’d probably want the full package, because I do watch a ton of other games. But be nice to have the option. 

I used to not only watch other games, but I recorded every single game, every single week (for 3 or 4 years). I still have most of those games on DVD, from about 2005 to say 2009 or 2010. 

Now, I don't watch any games other than the Eagles. When they started getting political, I lost 99% of my interest. Other than the Eagles, of course. 

I essentially do subscribe to only the Eagles though, via my VPN and Fubo. I no longer get all of the Philly locals (they figured out how to block the VPN), but since I had it set up to look like I was in Philly, and I had already set the "DVR" to record all Eagles games, it still records them to my DVR list. So I can still watch the Eagles game, regardless of what's airing in my local area. I also still get NBCS Philly, even though I don't get the other local Philly channels.  

11 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

Still would have preferred Amazon and not YouTube

I wanted Apple to get it. For the longest time they were the front runner. Would have been nice to have it rolled right into the AppleTV app

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, nipples said:

I wanted Apple to get it. For the longest time they were the front runner. Would have been nice to have it rolled right into the AppleTV app

I would have been fine with Apple getting it too because there are shows and movies I like there

Bout time, Amazon pissed away their opportunity on sheety Thursday night football and screw apple. 

You know, if I'd thought about it, the EMB could have put in a bid to get it. Host all Eagles games right here, but only if all viewers click our Amazon link once per day!

• Haha 1

On 12/22/2022 at 2:56 PM, VaBeach_Eagle said:

MLB offers that.

On 12/22/2022 at 1:56 PM, VaBeach_Eagle said:

I read they’re working on that and the individual team subscription might be a possibility. Cost of Sunday Ticket will probably be around $300, individual teams will obviously be less. 

• Like 1

DirecTV has set the market price of Sunday Ticket at approximately $300. I am sure YouTube is likely to start there for a full season package. Is there anything in the contract about individual team subscriptions? Do you mean DirecTV could have offered this all along, but they decided not to? I hope some bean-counter figures out they can get more subscriptions by team to make up for the losses of full-package subscriptions.

After 28 seasons, today's the final day for the NFL Sunday Ticket on DirecTV. Looking at the list of games and the channels they're on, Gnats-Eagles is their final game.

On 1/3/2023 at 11:23 AM, toolg said:

DirecTV has set the market price of Sunday Ticket at approximately $300. I am sure YouTube is likely to start there for a full season package. Is there anything in the contract about individual team subscriptions? Do you mean DirecTV could have offered this all along, but they decided not to? I hope some bean-counter figures out they can get more subscriptions by team to make up for the losses of full-package subscriptions.

Could they?  Are there that many people who would have paid $200/season for only-Eagles but not $300/season for every team?  

DirecTV sold 1.5 million $300 Sunday Ticket subscriptions.  That's $450 Million dollars.

Let's say they offered a one team package for how much?  $200/season?  Let's say 0.5 million took that offer.  

Now they have only made $400 Million dollars.  Are you telling me that there was at least another million people out there who would have paid $200/season to watch just a single team?  I mean, $200 is still a lot of money.  I don't think there are that many people who would have jumped at a single team subscription for $200 and NOT take the $300 every team package if there was no choice.

I'm trying to envision that many people who turned down the $300 all team season with no choice of buying just one team, but would fork over $200 for just the Eagles if there was a choice.  I think the pool of people who wants to see their out of state team as a very limited amount of people.  

Let's not even pretend that it would have been offered at anything significantly lower than that.  It would just make the math that much harder to make up.

Also, the return has to be significantly more than $450 Million to make it worth anyone's while.  

What I don't understand is Google's business model here. They have around 4 million YT subscribers. They are paying $2B a year for this. If they keep it at the same rate of $300 a month, they would need a bit over 6.6 million people to subscribe to this.

Do they think they are going to hit that many people streaming the Direct Ticket because it will be easier to access? I mean there are a ton of football fans out there, but I think it will be hard to get 6 million of them to fork over $300 a month.

2 minutes ago, pallidrone said:

What I don't understand is Google's business model here. They have around 4 million YT subscribers. They are paying $2B a year for this. If they keep it at the same rate of $300 a month, they would need a bit over 6.6 million people to subscribe to this.

Do they think they are going to hit that many people streaming the Direct Ticket because it will be easier to access? I mean there are a ton of football fans out there, but I think it will be hard to get 6 million of them to fork over $300 a month.

Well, mission 1, which will take no work, is get all the Sunday Ticket subscribers to leave DTV to come to YT TV.

If you want Sunday Ticket, that is what you will have to do.

Just now, downundermike said:

Well, mission 1, which will take no work, is get all the Sunday Ticket subscribers to leave DTV to come to YT TV.

If you want Sunday Ticket, that is what you will have to do.

True. They will not convert all of them, as a lot of them negotiated it for free using different tactics, some don't want to switch and will just dump it, and others just do not want to stream anything at all. 

My thought would be that they would want to get at least 3-4 million subscribers on there and then use the platform for their own customized advertising during breaks. That is something that DTV could not do, but Google could easily accomplish.

Also, I didn't mean $300 a month; I meant per subscription.