Jalen Hurts discussion (Part 2) - see new topic for contract extension

VaBeach_Eagle

1 hour ago, EazyEaglez said:

So just curious when Hurts went down he was the front runner for MVP. Do we just claim he is the MVP like so many beanbaggers have about Wentz even to this day as well or does that only work for Wentz? 😂🤣😂

Actually, it is quite the opposite.  It was not a discussion point at the time, of Wentz injury, as folks were rallying behind Nick Foles and anticipating home field advantage and a potential Super Bowl run.  2017 was about the team, and no one even really discussed or cared about Wentz injury costing him the MVP award. 

It actually only came up years later when people tried to dismiss Carson Wentz impact on the Super Bowl season, and we had to remind some folks that he was right there in the conversation, and some even said he was the leader at the time of his injury.

Now, with the race over, and everyone acknowledging Hurts was right there with Mahomes, you still have people running around calling Hurts the MVP, when that is not the case.  It is quite clear at this point that there is several posters, you included, that you care more about individual players more than the team.

If you try to say that is not the case with me, I will point out now that is false, as I have been in lock step with you all the way that you do not play Hurts early and potentially jeopardize the Eagles goal of winning a Super Bowl.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Oh.  Look at that, multiple hurts guys coming at me.  Hmmm, it’s like a clique.  

The only people who are saying, coaching wasn’t an issue are some in this thread.  So yeah, I’ll go with coaching was an issue.  

The all 22 was pretty clear.

31 minutes ago, jsb235 said:

I am guessing you don't know the difference between a read option and an rpo. Also, the all 22 clearly showed open guys, so the idea we shouldn't have been passing the ball is based solely on the fact that our qb played poorly, not because the play calling was flawed. 

You don’t pass more than twice as much as you run when you are facing the #2 pass defense, who is #5 in sacks, when they are 23rd against the run.

You especially don’t do it without the best RT in football.  I don’t care what team it is and who the QB’s are, that is just poor coaching.

4 minutes ago, downundermike said:

If you try to say that is not the case with me, I will point out now that is false, as I have been in lock step with you all the way that you do not play Hurts early and potentially jeopardize the Eagles goal of winning a Super Bowl.

You have to get to the Super Bowl before you can jeopardize winning it. The easiest path to the Super Bowl is getting the #1 seed, the first round bye, and home field advantage. The sooner you do that, the sooner you can stop exposing all your key players to "injury risk." Unfortunately, we are now playing our 3rd consecutive game trying to accomplish that because we chose to be cautious with one player. Since the decision to "protect Hurts'" we now have Lane Johnson putting off surgery, Maddox week to week, and Sweat having taken an ambulance ride to a hospital and one more game we have to expose everybody in --- two if we somehow lose this one and end up a wildcard team. 

Just now, downundermike said:

You don’t pass more than twice as much as you run when you are facing the #2 pass defense, who is #5 in sacks, when they are 23rd against the run.

You especially don’t do it without the best RT in football.  I don’t care what team it is and who the QB’s are, that is just poor coaching.

You do when your wide receivers are getting open. That's pretty basic. How were the coaches supposed to know Minshew would play so poorly? Obviously they adjusted when they realized it wasn't his day, but at the start of the game you can't fault them for trusting a guy who last year was demanding to be the starter. 

47 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

Gotta love a poster who only wants to have conversations with himself. Any opposing opinions are blocked. Some message board that makes. But yeah, alleged "cliques” are the problem.

image.gif.0d5d62480ce4284993014ab74fc4a7b0.gif

Nice gif :roll: 

Dan Graziano on ESPN just said he has gotten the sense from the Eagles that Hurts will not play this week. 😳

11 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

Dan Graziano on ESPN just said he has gotten the sense from the Eagles that Hurts will not play this week. 😳

What in the actual F is going on ? 

Just now, downundermike said:

What in the actual F is going on ? 

The most epic collapse in our franchise's history...

47 minutes ago, jsb235 said:

You do when your wide receivers are getting open. That's pretty basic. How were the coaches supposed to know Minshew would play so poorly? Obviously they adjusted when they realized it wasn't his day, but at the start of the game you can't fault them for trusting a guy who last year was demanding to be the starter. 

1 hour ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Oh.  Look at that, multiple hurts guys coming at me.  Hmmm, it’s like a clique.  

The only people who are saying, coaching wasn’t an issue are some in this thread.  So yeah, I’ll go with coaching was an issue.  

Look at the post above, former Eagles players saying the same thing, but what do they know, they only played in the league, for the team in question.

8 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Yeah it’s the strangest thing. Lurie loves him some passing, even though the teams over the years have been designed to be run first. You gotta imagine some of the directive comes from him 

46 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

What show was that on, trying to find it.

11 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

Yeah it’s the strangest thing. Lurie loves him some passing, even though the teams over the years have been designed to be run first. You gotta imagine some of the directive comes from him 

He definitely has an influence on it. He hired a QB coach as the HC who then evolved into the game’s most notorious offender, and then proceeded to hire said QB Coach’s QB coach and protégé as the HC for another 5 years of it

8 minutes ago, downundermike said:

What show was that on, trying to find it.

Timestamped.

9 minutes ago, Aerolithe_Lion said:

He definitely has an influence on it. He hired a QB coach as the HC who then evolved into the game’s most notorious offender, and then proceeded to hire said QB Coach’s QB coach and protégé as the HC for another 5 years of it

Notice Doug has zero issues running the ball in Jacksonville after him being accused of the pass happy offense in Philly. 

1 hour ago, downundermike said:

Look at the post above, former Eagles players saying the same thing, but what do they know, they only played in the league, for the team in question.

Anyone who goes through the tape can see Minshew missing wide open guys. It's easy to be critical of the coaching for not running the ball more when the qb misses the whole game. Had Minshew even played average football we would have won and no one would be complaining. 

3 minutes ago, jsb235 said:

Anyone who goes through the tape can see Minshew missing wide open guys. It's easy to be critical of the coaching for not running the ball more when the qb misses the whole game. Had Minshew even played average football we would have won and no one would be complaining. 

Well, I will take the easy route and agree with former players in the league over some rando on a message board.

The game plan should have been run the ball early, run the ball often, and the run the ball some more.

Facts.

Minshew passed 72 times to 39 RB carries in his two starts.

Saints #3 pass defense, Cowboys #9 pass defense.

Saints #5 in sacks, Cowboys #3 in sacks.

Saints #22 run defense, Cowboys #21 run defense.

6 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Well, I will take the easy route and agree with former players in the league over some rando on a message board.

The game plan should have been run the ball early, run the ball often, and the run the ball some more.

Facts.

Minshew passed 72 times to 39 RB carries in his two starts.

Saints #3 pass defense, Cowboys #9 pass defense.

Saints #5 in sacks, Cowboys #3 in sacks.

Saints #22 run defense, Cowboys #21 run defense.

It's odd you keep combining stats from two games, when no one was complaining we passed too much in the first one. 

1 minute ago, jsb235 said:

It's odd you keep combining stats from two games, when no one was complaining we passed too much in the first one. 

It is proof the Siriani and Steichen believe their system is the reason for the Eagles success, and they will run it with the back up QB and without their best offensive lineman, at home, on the road, even when playing top tier pass defenses and bottom tier run defenses.

It proves the arrogance of the coaching staff that is not willing to adjust to the situation and the personnel.

I know you think this is a Hurts / Minshew discussion, but we are way past that.  This is a coaching staff problem.

3 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

They passed the ball 40 times and ran the ball 29 times against Dallas.  Dallas passed all over our defense, so the Eagles kind of had to keep up.  Dallas possessed the ball 5 more minutes than Philly.  

They passed the ball 32 times and ran it 15 times against N.O. who doesn't have the offense Dallas has and only scored 13 points.  N.O. possessed the ball 15 more minutes than Philly.  

I know Hurts didn't play in either game, but you should still watch them.  

I watched the game and also watched the all 22 multiple times. I guess that's why we see things differently. 

6 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

So what you're saying is you think Minshew is so bad that you don't have a problem with how they ignored the running game as much as they did?  Or are you saying you have no problem with how they asked him to drop back as much as they did?  

You'd rather the team lose and offense suck, to prove a point?  Is that it?  

Not sure why you think i would want the team to lose.

2 minutes ago, jsb235 said:

Not sure why you think i would want the team to lose.

Because you will not criticize the coaching staff for not adjusting their game plan while playing top 5 pass defenses an bottom third run defenses, especially without all pro RT Lane Johnson.  You want to criticize the back up QB so you can continue the Hurts debate, and with the #1 seed now in jeopardy, we are way past that as fans of the Philadelphia Eagles.

With doubt being cast this morning about Hurts possibly not being 100%, I will be equally pissed if they do it again this weekend and put Hurts in harms way, when they could have done the right thing last week and already have the #1 seed locked up.

2 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Because you will not criticize the coaching staff for not adjusting their game plan while playing top 5 pass defenses an bottom third run defenses, especially without all pro RT Lane Johnson.

The Saints played single high man coverage most of the game, like the Cowboys did. 

You have to throw against that defense, especially with Brown and Smith. 

Minshew played poorly. Had he been as good as he was in the Cowboys game, we would have won. But he didn't and we lost. 

You being a typical fan and losing your mind over the coaching is talk radio level stuff. 

2 minutes ago, jsb235 said:

The Saints played single high man coverage most of the game, like the Cowboys did. 

You have to throw against that defense, especially with Brown and Smith. 

Minshew played poorly. Had he been as good as he was in the Cowboys game, we would have won. But he didn't and we lost. 

You being a typical fan and losing your mind over the coaching is talk radio level stuff. 

Yeah, being in agreement with former Eagles players is talk radio level stuff :roll::roll::roll::roll:

The Eagles gashed them when they ran the ball.  I watched the all 22 of the game also, they ran a 4 man front with little to no additional pressure and were winning easily.

I also watched the all 22 of the Falcons Saints game in New Orleans, Desmond Ridders first start in the NFL.

Ridder was not a threat to do anything, and the Falcons, who do not have an offensive line comparable to the Eagles, even without Lane Johnson ran the ball down their throats.

image.png.7f05f01b6f5264e9657fa8e76e686940.png

Archived