Cam Smith (South Carolina CB) -- DRAFTED BY MIAMI #51

Godfather

42 minutes ago, Godfather said:

Need a future stud at cb

Do we need a stud CB to play soft zone with safety help? Certainly can’t hurt, but make sure they have ball skills for when the other guy makes a mistake and are solid tacklers for all the underneath pitch and catch.

On 1/6/2023 at 8:32 PM, Waiting4Someday said:

Do we need a stud CB to play soft zone with safety help? Certainly can’t hurt, but make sure they have ball skills for when the other guy makes a mistake and are solid tacklers for all the underneath pitch and catch.

We need someone to take over for Slay

1 minute ago, Godfather said:

We need someone to take over for Slay

Agreed - the cliff is out there (and we are playing a CB friendly system).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Waiting4Someday said:

Agreed - the cliff is out there (and we are playing a CB friendly system).

Kinda sad to watch

21 minutes ago, hukdonfoniks said:

Smith isn't bad but I like Gonzalez and Porter Jr. better. 

On the fence - if Gannon gets a HC job and we get a DC more willing to mix zone/man coverages than Gonzalez fits the bill, if Gannon sticks I'd rather go with 2nd tier guy with good ball skills and zone play (E.Forbes). 

Gannon stays, Bradberry leaves, Slay slides, CGJ and Hargrave resigned, Epps replaced by Blankenship, both LBs walk with Dean in the wings, Seumalo returns, Kelce retires/Jurgens era begins, Miles tests the market, Fletch heads out, BG sticks, LJ buys a restaurant, Suh loses his money on crypto and plays another year, Barnett is shot into space.

Smith and Forbes are some of the best zone CBs available for Gannon’s soft but opportunistic coverage scheme, long speed concerns are allayed by consistent 2H safety help, both players will likely need to work on their tackling.

F7CD1308-0756-4A46-BE34-C256F2F4673B.jpeg

On 1/13/2023 at 8:47 AM, Waiting4Someday said:

Gannon stays, Bradberry leaves, Slay slides, CGJ and Hargrave resigned, Epps replaced by Blankenship, both LBs walk with Dean in the wings, Seumalo returns, Kelce retires/Jurgens era begins, Miles tests the market, Fletch heads out, BG sticks, LJ buys a restaurant, Suh loses his money on crypto and plays another year, Barnett is shot into space.

Smith and Forbes are some of the best zone CBs available for Gannon’s soft but opportunistic coverage scheme, long speed concerns are allayed by consistent 2H safety help, both players will likely need to work on their tackling.

F7CD1308-0756-4A46-BE34-C256F2F4673B.jpeg

I’m good with that mock though I’d like to grab a backup QB in the middle rounds somewhere. Someone with a similar skill set to Jalen that they can develop to step in if/when he misses games. 

1 hour ago, nipples said:

I’m good with that mock though I’d like to grab a backup QB in the middle rounds somewhere. Someone with a similar skill set to Jalen that they can develop to step in if/when he misses games. 

It will be interesting to see where Hendon Hooker will be drafted given the recent injury and advanced age. Cameron Ward has been pitched by @Original Sin to do exactly what you are proposing - but will likely return to school. He also likes Jake Haener, who has a Minshew profile - not great arm, but knows what to do with the ball; not big/fast but a decent athlete.

The issue many will have will this draft is that I didn’t do much to restock the OL. I figure that we won’t want to introduce two new starters next year, so finding an immediate replacement for Seumalo wasn’t necessary (as I think he’ll be resigned); but while Driscoll is an OK backup swing tackle - we might want to have more tackle depth and particularly somebody in development for RT.

• 3 months later...