The W

D.Smith

No injuries 

Scars

Driscoll 

Lack of killer instinct

.......Slay.... ?

• Like 1

The playcalling was a still a bit bizarre, particularly for knowing the defense knows Hurts won’t be scrambling much

1 minute ago, Aerolithe_Lion said:

The playcalling was a still a bit bizarre, particularly for knowing the defense knows Hurts won’t be scrambling much

I'm not sure what was going on with the play calling. Very pre season like.  Maybe a few RPO's, a couple play action...  I think they figured they would just roll over the giants so went at it with a very basic game plan.  

1 minute ago, Captain F said:

I'm not sure what was going on with the play calling. Very pre season like.  Maybe a few RPO's, a couple play action...  I think they figured they would just roll over the giants so went at it with a very basic game plan.  

I have no major issues with what happens in the first quarter. That is all scripted plays they planned on before the game started, and if those don’t end up working, teams rarely deviate that early. 

But once we had a multiple score lead in the second half against a struggling offense, we should have ran the ball 20 consecutive times. Their score at the end only happened because the game was 5 minutes longer than it should have been.

• Like 2

Stars: Jake Elliott & most of the special teams.

Congrats to AJ Brown and Devonte Smith for their records.

No major injuries

Locked up top seed after an amazing 14-3 season.

Scars: Hurts taking too many unnecessary hits.  

- Blitz pickup/plays made (not made) when getting blitzed.  (Minshew was having similar issues last week.) They need to design better plays/options (and execution) to counter blitzing. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Aerolithe_Lion said:

The playcalling was all vanilla. I wouldn’t worry about that. 

It's hard to sit through "cautious." It was like watching a Pro Bowl where everybody was supposed to let up so no one gets hurt. 

All that matters is we have the #1 seed and have a couple weeks to prepare for the next game. This win didn't have to be pretty. 

Some people here expected a 50 burger. Was 1 step higher than a vanilla offense. It was pretty much the Minshew playbook. 

• Like 3

It was watching a team that was trying not to pick up injuries Brown in particular has looked like he was half assing some plays for a couple of weeks now, I just hope he can turn the tap back on when the big game comes, they got the job done against a lot of players who were playing to put themselves on people's radar for roster spots next year.

Driscoll was left to sink or swim on his own way too much considering who we had at QB and the blitz pick up was awful, Scott let a free rusher go right by him on 3rd and goal on the final field goal drive that he had to pick up, because I can't believe even Steichen is stupid enough to call a play where he doesn't in the 4th quarter of the last game with all the starters in.

The O-Line had an up and down day, some really brilliant stuff along with another stupid player downfield penalty chalking off a TD.

The pass rush was negated by the Giants getting the ball out quickly and never being called by the refs for anything, they had one big play where the refs could have flagged holding on either tackle or OPI on the receiver and we got neither.

I'm getting heartily tired of watching Slay smiling and shaking his head after getting toasted.

So yeah all in all, we showed enough to get the job done, but there's a lot to clean up and I hope to god that Gannon has a plan to stop us getting dinked and dunked out of a game that he's saving for the divisional round.

• Like 2

It seemed like they played "not to lose" instead of having an agressive killer instinct.  Also, Hurts just wasn't himelf (IMHO).

STARS 

Elliott, D.Smith, CJG, Scott (honorable mention AJ Brown)

SCARS

Steichen, Driscoll, Kern, Slay

SCAR MVP - Steichen’s failure to balance run and pass throughout the game is frustrating. His lackluster effort in scheming against the blitz heavy Gints was disappointing. 

• Like 2

Elliot was absolutely the star of this game. 

We are lucky to have him. His 61 yarder was the real start of the 2017 magic.

• Like 3

Elliot. Five FGs. That one from 54 was straight down the middle. Would have been good from 60 plus. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Uscg-green said:

Elliot. Five FGs. That one from 54 was straight down the middle. Would have been good from 60 plus. 

he hit one like that in the Green Bay game to put them on ice

On 1/9/2023 at 7:16 PM, ManchesterEagle said:

Elliot was absolutely the star of this game. 

We are lucky to have him. His 61 yarder was the real start of the 2017 magic.

I know for some that game didn’t look like they wanted to, but Elliott went out there and did his job. There was a time when he looked like that extension was a mistake, but he’s just been so solid since and what isn’t being talked about is how he lost his holder, but didn’t miss a beat. Dude has been money. 

• Like 1