Kelce and the Hall of Fame

Connecticut Eagle

4 years ago, before the 2019 season on the old message board, I made the argument below on why Kelce had a real shot at the HOF (I kept it in a Word doc).  Now with five All-Pros, he is a lock. 

We have been blessed to watch this guy play and be embraced by this city.

Jason Kelce and the Hall of Fame

There have been 7 centers from the Super Bowl era inducted into the NFL Hall of Fame.  All have been named to the Associated Press All-Pro First Team at least three times.

There is only one exception the 3-time rule…Forrest Blue.  Blue was a 1st-Team All-Pro Center from the San Francisco 49ers in 1971, 1972, and 1973.  He was a first-round selection from Auburn in 1968.  I followed football during that era.  I don’t remember him.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forrest_Blue

(Bruce Matthews is in the HOF and he was a 1st-Team All-Pro selection while playing center.  However, he was a 1st-Team All-Pro Guard five times and only 87 of his 293 career starts were at center.  Therefore, we will call him a Hall of Fame Guard.)

image.png.910a17516167ed95ee74a2fdd7ae1a37.png

So, what about Kelce?

Well, there are currently 8 centers with two 1st-Team All-Pro selections:

image.png.20290e9aa77a4b0e49657417e33fb2af.png

So, what does this mean?

If Kelce can garner one more selection, then his argument for induction is solid.  He has a good chance this season if he continues to play at the level he has established, and the Eagles’ offense puts up impressive numbers with Kelce part of the highlight reels.  Adding to his two Pro Bowls before he retires would also help.  (How does he not go the Pro Bowl in the two years he is 1st team All Pro?) 

Regarding competition, Maurkice Pouncy was the 2nd-Team All Pro last season.  Travis Frederick is returning from his season away.  Alex Mack is also in the picture.  Ryan Kalil and Max Unger both retired this off-season.

Conclusion:

It’s not a far-fetched concept that the guy in the Mummers suit that cursed and sang for an entire city from the steps of the Art Museum will be making another speech from Canton someday.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I figured this one made it a lock. If he plays another year and gets another All Pro then it's just him adding to his legacy

Congrats to Kelce. Awesome player and awesome individual 

• Like 4

I imagine having a 2nd Super Bowl on his resume wouldn’t hurt, so let’s go get him another ring on his way into the HOF. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Uscg-green said:

He was pretty much a lock with his 4th. Now we are talking first ballot.

Took words out of my mouth. Let's not forget he was drafted in the 6th round as well! He will be 1st ballot. Anything ectra he accomplishes until he retires is just gravy.

• Like 1

I was discussing this in the BLOG but yes, I think he has a very solid chance at getting in.  Not sure what else anyone would need to do both on the field and off it to deserve getting in. 

I think advanced stats certainly help his case....and although most HOF voters themselves likely don't consider advanced stats (yet) at least some of the voters for "All Pro" likely do.  And as he continues to win All-Pro awards, those certainly seem influence HOF voting. 

1 hour ago, Uscg-green said:

He was pretty much a lock with his 4th. Now we are talking first ballot.

There was some stat a few years ago that something like 13 centers since 1940 have made 3 all pro teams; 12 are in the hall of fame and the 13th is Jason kelce.

so 5 all pros now is just beating a dead horse. He’s been in for awhile

He’s a lock but he will have competition with pouncey and Saturday. It may not be guaranteed first ballot  considering tinglehoff had 5 all pros and had to be voted in by the senior committee just like Carmichael.  He should be tho and he should have been on the all decade team for the 2010-2019  And 2020-2029 teams as well and he probably won’t play long enough for this decade and already got screwed on the last decade.  Pouncey was very good but not great like kelce and Mack can’t even hold kelces jock strap lol I don’t even know if he made 1 all pro if he did that’s at the most he had

I agree. I thought he was already likely to make the HOF even before this season. This last all-pro locks him in IMO. And if he gets a second ring this year, he’s beyond a lock. Like a super-duper lock. 

8 hours ago, Milkman420 said:

He’s a lock but he will have competition with pouncey and Saturday. It may not be guaranteed first ballot  considering tinglehoff had 5 all pros and had to be voted in by the senior committee just like Carmichael.  He should be tho and he should have been on the all decade team for the 2010-2019  And 2020-2029 teams as well and he probably won’t play long enough for this decade and already got screwed on the last decade.  Pouncey was very good but not great like kelce and Mack can’t even hold kelces jock strap lol I don’t even know if he made 1 all pro if he did that’s at the most he had

If he gets a second ring this year it definitely puts him above Pouncey and Saturday.