NFL Games and/or Plays with nicknames

VaBeach_Eagle

Let's have a listing of games and/or plays that have been given nicknames that are pretty well universally known/used around the league. Not only for our own interest (if you find it interesting), but also for Google search results that help the board to grow :angel

Just do one game or play per post, so that each one has it's own posting. If there's a Wikipedia page for the play or game, give the link and maybe a paragraph or two from the article. It can be any play or game for any team.

I'll start with the greatest play in Super Bowl/NFL history:

The Philly Special:

The Philly Special (also known as Philly Philly) was an American football trick play between Philadelphia Eagles players Corey Clement, Trey Burton and Nick Foles on fourth-down-and-goal toward the end of the second quarter of Super Bowl LII on February 4, 2018.

On the play, quarterback Foles moved up to behind his offensive line and Jason Kelce snapped the ball directly to running back Clement. Clement went on to pitch the ball to Burton, who passed the ball to a wide open Foles to score a touchdown; Foles thereby became the first player in Super Bowl history to both throw and catch a touchdown pass.

Eagles coach Doug Pederson's decision to attempt to score a touchdown rather than attempt a field goal on the play helped put the Eagles in a better position to defeat the New England Patriots, which they subsequently did, 41–33. The victory was the Eagles' first championship in 57 years. Many analysts have since called the play one of the gutsiest play-calls in Super Bowl history.

It was described by NFL Films as "a play that the Eagles had never called before, run on 4th down by an undrafted rookie running back pitching the football to a third-string tight end who had never attempted an NFL pass before, throwing to a backup quarterback who had never caught an NFL (or college) pass before, on the biggest stage for football."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philly_Special

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miracle_at_the_Meadowlands

The Miracle at the Meadowlands was a fumble recovery by cornerback Herman Edwards of the Philadelphia Eagles that he returned for a touchdown at the end of a November 19, 1978, National Football League (NFL) game against the New York Giants in Giants Stadium. It is considered miraculous because the Giants were ahead 17–12 and could easily have run out the final seconds, since they had the ball and the Eagles had no timeouts left.

Flashback Friday: Eagles sign UDFA Herm Edwards in 1977

The end around. 

It’s when a player on one side of the field goes in motion toward the QB, takes a handoff, and then emerges on the other side of the field with that ball. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Peter_Schmuck said:

The end around. 

It’s when a player on one side of the field goes in motion toward the QB, takes a handoff, and then emerges on the other side of the field with that ball. 

Not really what I had in mind, that's the name of a play, but I'm speaking of a specific play from a specific game that made that play or game famous in NFL lore. 

Like the Ghost to the Post, for instance:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghost_to_the_Post

Ghost to the Post is a significant play in NFL history. It refers to a 42-yard pass from Ken Stabler to Dave Casper, nicknamed "The Ghost" after Casper the Friendly Ghost, that set up a game-tying field goal in the final seconds of regulation in a double-overtime AFC divisional playoff game played between Casper's Oakland Raiders and the then-Baltimore Colts on December 24, 1977. Casper also caught the last pass of the game, a 10-yard touchdown pass. The game is currently the fifth-longest in NFL history, and has become synonymous with the play that made it famous.

The Immaculate Reception happened 50 years ago.

The Immaculate Reception is one of the most famous plays in the history of American football. It occurred in the AFC divisional playoff game of the National Football League (NFL), between the Pittsburgh Steelers and the Oakland Raiders (now Las Vegas Raiders) at Three Rivers Stadium in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania on December 23, 1972. With the Steelers trailing 7-6, on fourth down with 22 seconds left in the game, Pittsburgh quarterback Terry Bradshaw threw a pass targeting John Fuqua. The ball bounced off the helmet of Raiders safety Jack Tatum. Steelers fullback Franco Harris caught it just before it hit the ground and ran for a game-winning touchdown. The play has been a source of some controversy and speculation ever since, with a few people[who?] contending that the ball touched only Fuqua (and did not in any way touch Oakland's Jack Tatum) or that it hit the ground before Harris caught it, either of which would have resulted in an incomplete pass by the rules at the time. Kevin Cook's The Last Headbangers cites the play as the beginning of a bitter rivalry between Pittsburgh and Oakland that fueled a historically brutal Raiders team during the NFL's most controversially physical era.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immaculate_Reception

• Like 1

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miracle_at_the_New_Meadowlands 

The Miracle at the New Meadowlands also called "New Miracle at the New Meadowlands" and "Miracle at the Meadowlands II" was an improbable come-from-behind win by the Philadelphia Eagles over rival team the New York Giants at New Meadowlands Stadium on December 19, 2010. The game was a crucial one in the context of the season, played between two divisional rivals in Week 15 of the 2010 NFL season. With just over eight minutes to play in the fourth quarter, the Eagles trailed the Giants by 21 points. They went on to score four unanswered touchdowns in the final seven minutes and 28 seconds of play, including a punt returned for a touchdown by DeSean Jackson as time expired.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJPf4h9GZvg

My favorite part of the play was the devastating block by Jason Avant.

4th and 26.

4th and 26 was an American football play on Sunday, January 11, 2004, during the National Football League's (NFL) 2003–04 playoffs. The play occurred during the fourth quarter of a divisional playoff game between the visiting Green Bay Packers and the Philadelphia Eagles at Lincoln Financial Field in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4th_and_26

• Like 1

I'm going to add some Wikipedia stuff to some of the above posts, for the search engines to index.

3 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

I'm going to add some Wikipedia stuff to some of the above posts, for the search engines to index.

Please note I turned in all my assignments complete.

4 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Please note I turned in all my assignments complete.

lol It's all good, either way. I just want the search engines to grab as much info as possible to help direct people to the board.

The more people that come, the more people that click our Amazon link... err, I mean the more people to discuss stuff with. :huh: 

22 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

I wonder how many people will come. 🤔

I wondered the same 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EagleJoe8 said:

I don't know, but I keep hearing a disembodied voice telling me to build things so that they will come... :ph34r:

• Like 1

The Comeback

January 3, 1993

Orchard Park, NY

Buffalo Bills 41, Houston Oilers 38

The Comeback was a National Football League (NFL) game held on January 3, 1993, as part of 1992–93 NFL playoffs. The Buffalo Bills overcame a 35–3 deficit to defeat the visiting Houston Oilers 41–38 in overtime and set the then-record for largest comeback in NFL history.[1][2] Though surpassed by the Minnesota Vikings in 2022,[3] the Bills’ 32-point comeback remains the largest comeback in postseason history and the second largest overall. It was also the first time an NFL team with a lead of at least 30 points lost the game, and the only one until the aforementioned Colts/Vikings game of 2022.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Comeback_(American_football)

• Like 1

On 1/20/2023 at 3:03 PM, EagleJoe8 said:

On 1/20/2023 at 3:25 PM, Bwestbrook36 said:

I wondered the same 

Could be a lot, could be very few. We may never know, one way or the other. But I just Googled the thread title and this thread was #2 on the results list:

image.png

The Music City Miracle

The Music City Miracle was an American football play that took place on January 8, 2000, during the National Football League's (NFL) 1999–2000 playoffs. It occurred at the end of the American Football Conference (AFC) Wild Card playoff game between the Tennessee Titans and Buffalo Bills at Adelphia Coliseum in Nashville, Tennessee. After the Bills had taken a 16–15 lead on a field goal with 16 seconds remaining in the game, on the ensuing kickoff return, Titans tight end Frank Wycheck threw a lateral pass across the field to Kevin Dyson, who then ran 75 yards to score the winning touchdown to earn a 22–16 victory.

The Body Bag Game.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_Bag_Game

The Body Bag Game was a Monday Night Football game that was played on November 12, 1990, between the Philadelphia Eagles and Washington Redskins at Veterans Stadium. The Eagles defeated the Redskins, 28–14. Its nickname comes from a pre-game boast from Eagles head coach Buddy Ryan, who told reporters his team would inflict a beating on Washington so bad "they'll have to be carted off in body bags".[1] Then during the game, nine Washington Redskins players left with injuries, and an Eagles player reacted to one of those injured Redskins by yelling, "Do you guys need any more body bags?"[2]

House of Pain game.

No Wikipedia that I saw.

https://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/ray-didinger-recalls-the-house-of-pain-game

Then the Gang Green defense came to town and left the Oilers' season in ruins. The Eagles won the game 13-6 but the final score doesn't reflect how thoroughly they dominated the prime-time contest. It was a total beat down.

The Catch.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Catch_(American_football)

The Catch was the game-winning touchdown reception in the 1981 NFC Championship Game played between the Dallas Cowboys and the eventual Super Bowl XVI champion San Francisco 49ers at Candlestick Park on January 10, 1982, as part of the 1981-82 NFL playoffs. With 58 seconds left in the game, the 49ers faced 3rd down and 3 yards to gain on the Cowboys' 6-yard line. San Francisco wide receiver Dwight Clark made a leaping grab in the back of the end zone to complete a 6-yard touchdown pass from quarterback Joe Montana, enabling the 49ers to defeat the Cowboys, 28–27.

Miracle at the Meadowlands 2 (1988)

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/eagles-giants-miracle-at-the-meadowlands-clyde-simmons

The Eagles make their annual trip up the NJ Turnpike to the Meadowlands this weekend to face the Giants. It may not feel like it, but the game may go a long way into who wins the mediocre (at best) NFC East this year.

As with most Philadelphia-New York rivalries, the Eagles-Giants battles are always some of the fiercest in the NFL, going back to the days of Chuck Bednarik and Frank Gifford. It’s also one of the few rivalries where the Eagles seem to always get the best of the opponent in big moments. And even better, the most memorable of those games took place right off Exit 16W.

The most famous of these, on Nov. 19, 1978, of course came to be known as the "Miracle at the Meadowlands” after Herm Edwards scooped up a botched handoff by Joe Pisarcik, as the Giants were just running out the clock, and ran it in for a TD with 20 seconds remaining to pull out a Birds 19-17 victory. It changed the way teams handled end-of-game situations and was the last game Giants offensive coordinator Bob Gibson ever coached. It’s one of the most famous plays in NFL history.

Of more recent vintage, many fans remember Oct. 10, 2003, as Brian Westbrook ran back a punt and bolted down the sideline with just over a minute to go to win it. You couldn’t believe the Giants would punt it anywhere near B-West.

Which of course leads to the dramatic scene on Dec. 19, 2010. Old Giants Stadium was gone, replaced by the modern MetLife Stadium. But it didn’t matter. Michal Vick led an unbelievable fourth-quarter comeback that culminated in DeSean Jackson returning the NFL’s first "walk-off” punt return TD. You remember everything about it. Much like Westbrook’s return, you first thought, "Did they just kick it to him?" Then Jackson fumbled it for a moment, backed up, and took off up the middle. Jason Avant laid out a Giant on a block, and then Jackson ran along the goal line to run out the clock.

All the while, Giants coach Tom Coughlin couldn’t have looked more disgusted as he sought out his punter Matt Dodge to yell at him for not kicking it out of bounds. Some called it the "Miracle at the New Meadowlands." Mike Quick, on the Eagles' radio broadcast, called it the "Miracle at the Meadowlands No. 2!"

But, I argue, the real Miracle No. 2 happened 22 years earlier, when a defensive end scored an overtime touchdown with a key block by the punter after the Eagles' kicker had his field goal attempt blocked. It’s kind of been forgotten among the other great endings between these two teams, but it’s the type of TD that has not happened since.

On Nov. 20, 1988, just about 10 years to the day of the original "Miracle at the Meadowlands," the Eagles and Giants met at Giants Stadium with first place in the NFC East in the line. The Giants were about a year and a half removed from winning their first Super Bowl, and many of the key members of that team were still around. Bill Parcells was the head coach and Bill Belichick was the defensive coordinator. The offense was led by QB Phil Simms, and the defense still had Lawrence Taylor, the most feared and disruptive player on that side of the ball for most of the '80s.

The Eagles had not made the playoffs in seven years, but Buddy Ryan was building his own monster defense, led by the new Minister of Defense, Reggie White. The Birds entered the day one game back of New York in the NFC East. This was their opportunity to jump in the driver’s seat, since they had beaten the Giants earlier in the year at the Vet, in the game where Randall Cunningham made one of the most acrobatic plays in Monday Night Football history when he threw a TD pass to Jimmie Giles after somehow not going down on a hit by Carl Banks. This was probably the biggest game for the Eagles since that 1981 playoff game. You certainly knew it was big when Pat Summerall and John Madden were on the call.

The first half played out like an old-school, NFC East battle. The score was tied 10-10 at halftime. The Eagles' TD was set up by Seth Joyner batting a Simms pass in the air, picking it off and returning it down to the 2-yard line. Cunningham then snuck in from the 1 (or not — no replay back then) for the score. In the third, Simms found Stephen Baker for a TD, but later in the quarter he was hit by White and taken to the turf as he threw a pass, knocking him out of the game. The Giants took a seven-point lead into the fourth quarter with backup QB Jeff Hostetler at the helm.

After trading drives and turnovers in the first part of the quarter, Cunningham moved the Birds into the red zone. He then hit his leading receiver, rookie TE Keith Jackson, across the middle. Jackson was hit and fumbled just inside the 5-yard line, but WR Cris Carter fell on it in the end zone for a touchdown. Made sense — "all he did” was score touchdowns — and it wouldn’t even end up as the Eagles' most unusual TD of the day. But the Birds tied it up, and eventually went to OT tied at 17.

The Eagles won the toss but did nothing with their first possession. The Giants took over deep in their own territory, but Hostetler’s pass was picked off for the second time in the game by safety Terry Hoage around midfield. The Eagles moved the ball inside of the Giants' 15 and decided to try a game-winning field goal on third down. Usually, the reason given for kicking on third down is that, in case something goes wrong with the snap or the hold, you can just fall on it or throw it away and get another down to kick it. Turns out, there’s something else that can happen.

Clyde Simmons was the bookend opposite Reggie White on arguably the most imposing defensive line of that era. When he finished his career, he was No. 2 on the Eagles' all-time sack list (Trent Cole passed him, so Simmons is now No. 3). But he also would help block for kicks, so he was on the field as Luis Zendejas set up to try to win the game for the Eagles.

John Teltschik was the Eagles' punter, but of course was also the holder for FGs. Teltschik caught the snap, put the ball down and Zendejas’ kick was away. But the Giants were able to block it, and it hit the ground at the 15, behind the line of scrimmage.

As Simmons turned, the ball bounced right into his hands, and he took off toward the pylon with Teltschik as his lead blocker. Telstchik took out a Giant right at the goal line as Simmons broke the plane before losing the ball as he hit the ground. Chaos ensued, as the Eagles' bench ran to the end zone and started celebrating an unbelievable win, and the Giants were confused about what had just happened.

Parcells came running into the end zone and was yelling at anyone in a striped shirt that Simmons should not be allowed to advance the ball. John Madden pointed out that is the rule on fourth down, but not third down. Finally, after some discussion, the referee stood under the goal post, amidst multiple players, coaches, and even media who had come onto the field, turned on his mic and announced that since it was picked up behind the line of scrimmage, it was a touchdown.

It was a touchdown that helped catapult the Eagles to a division title. According to the NFL and Elias, it was just the second time on record the offense had scored a TD on a blocked FG in history, and it hasn’t happened since. And it was scored by a defensive end, carrying the ball and shedding tacklers like a tight end, following the punter, throwing a block like a fullback.

I’ve never understood how it is kind of lost in the shuffle of the other great Eagles endings at the Meadowlands. To me, it may have been the greatest miracle of them all.