Pre Eagles Playoffs Mock

Slade

What a season!

I truly believe anything less than another Super Bowl victory would be a let down, and for this off-season I have the Eagles winning it all. With the achievement brings challenges like how much of the assistant coaches get plucked I'm assuming that both coordinators go and they take a bunch assistants with them.

Retirement:

1. Jason Kelce OC - The legend decides to go out on top after winning his 2nd ring and he decides to take a coaching position with the team. 1.5 million cap savings

Cuts/Let Walk:

1. Fletcher Cox DT - Post June 1st cut. He's been a monster and his play during the Super Bowl was impressive designation 1.5 million cap savings.

2. Darius Slay CB - Post June 1st cut. He's 32 and his play has clearly declined as the season went on, and I believe the drop will be even worse next year. 17.5 million cap savings.

3. Javon Hargrave DT - He's been the most competent pass rusher in the middle but I believe in investing in players have more future with a rebuilding defense. 4th round compensation.

4. Andre Dillard LT - Now that he has shown some versatility his value increases and someone will pony up for a potential long term stater. 5th round compensation

5. T.J. Edwards ILB - Smart player with great instincts some team will way over pay for his services. He signs a huge deal somewhere else. 3rd round compensation

6. Miles Sanders RB - Miles has been a stud when used properly but his injury concerns are an issue and he's soft IMO. Someone will overpay for his services. 5th round compensation.

7. Kyzir White WLB - Howie continues to go cheap at LB where Dean is the future. 5th round compensation.

8. Issac Seumalo RG - He gets an impressive deal for a team looking to rebuild their line. 4th round compensation.

Re-Sign: 33 million +/-

1. Lane Johnson RT - The offensive line is the heart of this team and keeping the best RT in the league happy and locked in with guaranteed money. 3 years extension 50 million. 13 million cap savings for 2023.

2. Jalen Hurts QB - The leader of the team, Jalen has proven he has the talent and desire to be the best and I only he will continue to grow becoming the face of the franchise for years to come. 6 years 265 million, no 2023 cap hit.

3. James Bradberry CB - He's been good all year even though the turnovers have dropped his coverage skills is top notch and is the younger more consistent corner. 3 years 51 million, 10 million cap hit for 2023.

4. Chauncy Gardner-Johnson FS - He brings an edge to the secondary with an knack of firing up everyone around him, plus his versatility and play making ability is top notch. 3 years 23 million 6 million cap hit 2023.

5. Brandon Graham Edge - Still showing he's still got plenty left in the tank, but he will be brought back in a rotational role and will get compensated as such. 2 years 14 million. 4 million impact for 2023 cap

6. Marcus Epps SS - The kid has proven he belongs and has become a solid tackler with good instincts. 3 years 14 million, 4 million cap for 2023

7. Josh Pascal WR - He doesn't light up the stat sheet but does the dirty work that helps drive the offense. 2 years 5 million

8. Sua Opeta OG - Solid backup. 1 year 2 million

Free Agency isn't a reality maybe some back ups here and there but not much.

Draft: (Eagles own #10 and #31)

Trade! The Eagles will be in a perfect spot looking for one of the top QBs. In this case Washington comes calling with the offer of #16, #47 & #98

1.(#16) Paris Johnson Jr. OT/OG - The offensive line is the life blood of the team, but the line has been and is still in transition. With Lane being out of the line-up the last few seasons and his replacements coming up short the need is real for both a short term swing tackle and a future starter. In this scenario the line loses Seumalo at RG, Paris is very versatile and can plug into the starting line while keeping an eye on the future which is Lane's replacement maybe as early as 2024 or he becomes at stud at RG either way its a massive win. 

Trade! Chicago flush with a projected trade with Indy sees someone they're targeting fall to the back end of the first and pounce. They offer #35, #102, & #138 for #31

2.(#35) Jahmyr Gibbs RB - Sanders when healthy has proven that he can be a dynamic weapon and forces defenses to respect the RPO and overall run game. Jahmyr provides that and even more being a legit threat as a receiver that will stress defenses even more. What he's not a the power back everyone wants including me, but Gibbs is a game changer who would take quite a bit off of Hurts's shoulders. His speed and elusiveness is truly elite he almost also makes the first and second guy miss, they literally slip right by him.

Trade! Eagles see a gem drop within their reach and pounce, they offer the Saints #47 & #95 for #40

2.(#40) Devon Witherspoon CB - It's been far overdue for the Eagles to invest an early pick to address the corner position and this kid can lock down his side of the field. Devon is a student of the game a person who studies the tape and strives to improve his game and is a natural leader. Being a bit undersized doesn't impede his willingness to take on and take down the ball carrier. In coverage he is nothing short of a stud and brings that swagger with him boasting one of the lowest completion % allowed.

2.(#63) Mike Morris Edge - A big strong end who's power, strength and long arms is quite impressive, but he's a bit raw only starting one year. Mike is a monster in the run game bringing down RB's with prejudice, his pass rush is decent but quickly developing. The Eagles believe in using a heavy rotation of guys to wear down and with a bull like this guy that won't take too long to achieve. He's also very versatile being able to both play outside and inside.

3.(#98) DeMarvion Overshown LB - With likely departure of Edwards to free agency there will be a glaring hole in the middle of the defense and linebacker corp that is frightening thin. DeMarvion is big, fast with long arms and exceptional in coverage being a former defensive back. With amazing sideline to sideline capabilities he's got the range and speed to track receivers. His major is his run defense and tackling which cam be improved with the right coaching.

4.(#102) Hendon Hooker QB - Howie loves to role the dice for a QB and without anyone backing up Hurts and limited cap space it's only a matter of time.

5.(#138) Tyler Scott WR - A speedy WR who's gotten better every year and would push Watkins for the slot and also provides another option in the return game.

7.(#222) Nick Herbig LB - Depth for a thin unit

Depth Chart:

QB: Hurts, Hooker, Book

WR: Brown, Smith, Watkins, Pascal, Scott

TE: Goedert, Stoll, Calcaterra

RB: Gibbs, Gainwell, Sermon

LT: Mailata, P. Johnson

LG: Dickerson, Opeta

OC: Jurgens, Dickerson

RG: P. Johnson, Driscoll

RT: Johnson, P. Johnson

Edge: Sweat, Morris, Graham, Barnett, Robinson

IDL: Davis, WIlliams, Tuipulatu

SLB: Reddick, Johnson

ILB: Overshown, Dean

WLB: Dean, Bradley, Herbig

CB: Bradberry, McPhearson, Witherspoon, Jobe

Slot: Maddox, Scott

FS: Gardner-Johnson, Blakenship

SS: Epps, Wallace

KR/PR: Covey, Scott

K: Elliott

P: Siposs

Overview:

Offense:

The offensive line loses significant experience and talent in Kelce and Seumalo, but the future is bright with young blue chip players in Jurgens and P. Johnson. Hurts will have a line that is young and talented to protect him for years with 4/5 being under the age of 25. The rushing attack would receive a huge upgrade in talent with a player with Gibbs talents I can only imagine the screens and options he brings to an already explosive offense. The receivers and tight ends remain relatively the same with the exception of Scott who has the speed and home-run threat that can only help make the team more explosive. Then it comes down to the quarterback will Hurts continue to progress as a passer with a new OC? I believe he will as I see him taking another significant leap forward next season regardless of what happens in the play-offs.

Defense:

Significant change is in store for this side of the ball with the loss of a ton of veteran experience, but with a new DC more than likely coming in I expect it will take some time to see who fits and who doesn't. The defensive line will also feature four highly talented but young starters in Sweat, Davis, Williams, and Morris all being under 25, with a ton of upside. The linebackers get immense change with the loss of Edwards and White, but with Dean, Overshown and the veteran sack master Reddick they should be set up strong for the future. The secondary loses a stud in Slay, but that's the only real loss to the secondary, someone will have to emerge opposite of Bradberry.

The 2024 draft is going to give the Birds a lot picks with significant assets coming from comp picks. The defense under a new DC will have a year to figure out who works and who won't in a new system and with the ammo to restock it.

• Like 1

@Slade only issue I see is if Kelce retires, his contract was set up for a post June 1 retirement , and you can only have two, so can’t do it with Slay.

And Lane is under contract through 2025.

If the Eagles win the Super Bowl after going 17-1 with Hurts, there’s no way they start a re-tooling that heavy. Losing  8 starters and trying to replace them with rookies would be a disastrous off-season.

With his dead money age restructure, we’d cut Slay and really still have to pay him his $ regardless of when you cut him.  It’s a 1-year deal I think they ride it out. After all of the years of awful DBs we just cut a really good one for some Cap savings? No way. Also voted team captain by hood teammates  

Hargrave is our best Defensive lineman and has shown no slowing down. He’s easily coming back unless there’s much better deal elsewhere. Probably 2 years. I feel like he’d being more value than Graham at the same price point. 

Remember after they won the last SB resigned everyone they could. 

We have plenty of draft picks this year and next, I don’t think giving away 5th year options for mid round picks is worth it, especially re-signing Hurts. 

I think this off-season would make me question the front office. Plenty of RBs in FA rather than using our (basically) second first on one. Also later rounds RBs. 

Paris Johnson will be a project. If the eagles win SB again, I think they’ll be drafting day 1 impact players with their SB window. 

Just my opinion. Thanks for the Mock very fun!

Yikes!!! Where to start.

1. max of 4 compensatory pix allowed

2. CJ--you undervalues his deal by 50%. Double it, and you're close.

3. No DT in draft. With this defense, you need 5 DT's. You have 3. Didn't you watch our defense this year?

4. You have Robinson as depth chart edge. Who is that?

5. Witherspoon not making it that far.

6. Morris?? at 63??

7. Cut Slay??? just restructure contract, keep him, and save the same dollars. 

I think that is enough for now. There's more, but enough for now

ER

Great read thanks. You obviously put a great deal of though in to this. I don't know how we resign all those guys and give Hurts the big new deal also, but you might be right and after all Howie is a magician. 

Here are some thoughts - 

• Johnson doesn't have to be resighed yet. DUM is correct. 
  • How do you give Jalen a deal and not have a cap hit. Even if it's no raise and a signing bonus, the signing bonus then gets prorated starting next year. 
  • With their dead money the Eagles are about $2M  over the cap right now. 

I believe the cap and Hurts situations will dictate that we lose most if not all of our free agents, and as a result I agree we will have to trade for more draft picks. But we don't see the draft the same way, here goes - 

• I like the Washington trade, we come out over 200 points plus on the draft chart, but I would take a defender at 16. Porter or Gonzales would be my choice. 
  • The Chicago trade favors us also so I;m good to go, but with the 35th pick I get a defensive lineman - Gervon Dexter would be my man at 35
  • At 40 we already got our corner so safety is where I go - Brandon Joseph
  • At 63 it's Sanders replacement  - Zach Charbonnet
  • Third round pick 98. I think you're way to high for Overshown. Back to the lines - G/T/C Andrew Vorhees
  • Fourth round pick 102 - unless you cound on Barnett we need a DE. How about an all name team Habukuk Baldinado
  • Round 5 - here's where I think Overshown can be had
  • Round 7. I think we have 2 picks in this round. QB Clayton Tune and WR Dontay Demus. 

Thanks again - fine read. 

On 1/23/2023 at 7:48 AM, GoEagles614 said:

If the Eagles win the Super Bowl after going 17-1 with Hurts, there’s no way they start a re-tooling that heavy. Losing  8 starters and trying to replace them with rookies would be a disastrous off-season.

The cap is going to force that.  Eagles have 4.4 in cap room next year, and have to re sign or replace a ton of guys.

The two 1st round picks are going to cost more than 6 million.

1 hour ago, downundermike said:

The cap is going to force that.  Eagles have 4.4 in cap room next year, and have to re sign or replace a ton of guys.

The two 1st round picks are going to cost more than 6 million.

Simply extending Hargrave for multiple years will add $10m to our cap room alone. Not to mention all of the restructures we’re able to attempt. 

We have another $1.5m out on Barnett as well. 

I don’t think we can say "Let’s get younger on the DL and give BG $14m at 35 and let 29 yo Hargrave Walk either. 

I’m not saying we can keep the team in tact, but this is a complete mismanaged off-season imo. From the draft picks, to the FA choices, even the trades, everything watches us get significantly worse at every position. That includes the prayers of some of there top draft talents somehow falling to day 2. I just don’t see it. 

3 minutes ago, GoEagles614 said:

Simply extending Hargrave for multiple years will add $10m to our cap room alone.

If he signed a new contract, his void years would stay in place, so it would give us 7 million in cap room, before his new signing bonus and base salary are added.

1 hour ago, downundermike said:

If he signed a new contract, his void years would stay in place, so it would give us 7 million in cap room, before his new signing bonus and base salary are added.

We shall see!