Doug Pederson says free agent RB slipped through Eagles' fingers

UK_EaglesFan89

Doug Pederson says free agent RB slipped through Eagles' fingers

Doug Pederson on Wednesday morning confirmed that the Eagles at least had some interest in bringing in a veteran free agent running back this offseason. 

But the Eagles are also happy with what they have. 

"We did and we looked outside [at] free agency and some of the guys that were there,” Pederson said to Angelo Cataldi on WIP. "As you guys know, we had an opportunity to possibly grab a player and slipped through our fingers. But we’re always looking to add that depth, add that value. 

"But I am pleased with that running back room right now. And Duce (Staley) does a great job of preparing these guys. Yeah, I’m happy with that group.”

While Pederson didn’t mention a name specifically, we can probably take a guess that he’s talking about Carlos Hyde, who signed with the Seattle Seahawks. The three names linked to the Eagles were Hyde, Devonta Freeman and LeSean McCoy. Freeman and McCoy remain unsigned. 

Hyde, 29, signed a one-year deal worth $2.75 million to join the Seahawks. That was out of the Eagles’ price range. 

Hyde was seemingly a perfect complementary player for Miles Sanders. Hyde is a bigger, run-between-the-tackles type of player. And the job he took in Seattle isn’t as a feature back either; they have Chris Carson in Seattle. But the price was too much to get him to Philly. 

And it’s not lip service that the Eagles like their current group of running backs. They see Sanders as a true No. 1, they’re high on Boston Scott as a rotational player. And even after that, they still think Corey Clement is talented and just needs to stay healthy. And Elijah Holyfield and Michael Warren are two players they had draftable grades on in the last two seasons. 

But Pederson agreed with Cataldi’s assessment that Sanders is the Eagles’ feature running back in 2020. 

"You’re correct in speculating, Miles is our No. 1,” Pederson said. "He’s the guy we drafted last year and he had a tremendous rookie season and he’s ready to carry the load. But I think you have to have a second or a third guy there that can help him. That’s the one thing with running backs, keeping them healthy for 16-plus games every season.”

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/doug-pederson-says-nfl-free-agent-running-back-slipped-through-eagles-fingers

No surprises there. Adam Caplan said the team were looking to add a veteran RB to give us some depth and experience. They still may and I think they still need to.

I'm wondering if that was a subtle shot at Howie. Interesting choice of words that Doug used "slip through our fingers".  That implies that we had a chance to get it done, but failed.

2 hours ago, CaliEagle said:

I'm wondering if that was a subtle shot at Howie. Interesting choice of words that Doug used "slip through our fingers".  That implies that we had a chance to get it done, but failed.

Doug hasn't exactly been known for his choice of wording over the years.  I wouldn't assume that was any kind of shot at Howie.  

Eagles just missed out on Duvernay and Bredeson in the draft too. Thanks Ravens.

4 hours ago, time2rock said:

Doug hasn't exactly been known for his choice of wording over the years.  I wouldn't assume that was any kind of shot at Howie.  

I don't think there was malice behind it. Maybe it was just that another team gave a better deal. We're strapped for cash so I don't think it was necessarily a jab at Howie

• Like 1

I just don't think Doug has any say on who he wants on this team. " I want Groh back" Fired the next day. If you saw Doug's face live when they drafted Hurts in the 2nd round, he looked shocked. Then of course during the interview on ESPN he was smiling but his first reaction was not that. Even during the Eagles podcast interview they just did not look like they were on the same page. Doug says one thing, Howie does something else. Doug was brought in to be a "yes" man. He fits the role well but sometimes his real views pop out, lol.