What is our defensive game plan for the NFCCG?

Portyansky

Obvious answer don't let them score more than us. 🤣

IMO we play them like we played against NYG. Press man on WRs. Delete CMC in the run and pass game. Kittle, not sure our LBs can stick with him. I wanna see some blitzes. Don't wanna see him get comfortable. Purdy has been getting away with some pretty boneheaded passes. I feel we can pressure him into a few costly mistakes. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Portyansky said:

Obvious answer don't let them score more than us. 🤣

IMO we play them like we played against NYG. Press man on WRs. Delete CMC in the run and pass game. Kittle, not sure our LBs can stick with him. I wanna see some blitzes. Don't wanna see him get comfortable. Purdy has been getting away with some pretty boneheaded passes. I feel we can pressure him into a few costly mistakes. 

Put CJGJ on Kittle. 

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Make Purdy have to beat you deep.  

Yup, purdy has a weak arm and the niners don't t really have a deep threat on the outside.

The one big play to kittle down the seam, kittlle was covered by a DT...🤔

Don't cover Kittle with a DT 20 yards down field would be a good start for Gannon.

• Like 5

Stop Kittle and CMC. If Aiyuk and Deebo can beat our corners one on one, so be it.

Dominate the LOS with the front four and force the 49ers to pass to win. Pressure Purdy nonstop and the fans need to be as loud as possible all game when the 49ers have the ball. Limit the 49ers on 1st and second down as much as possible to get them into 3rd and long. Don’t let Purdy escape the pocket. Tackle, tackle, tackle. Win the turnover battle. 

• Like 8

I think you've got to try and spy McCaffrey and limit him as much as possible. SF are an offense that I think let their play makers make the big plays rather than asking Purdy to. So if we can force Purdy to need to go and try to win the game that should stand us in good stead.

• Like 2

D line has to pressure Purdy, Kittle is going to get his, he's just that good

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, olsilverhair said:

D line has to pressure Purdy, Kittle is going to get his, he's just that good

Yeah you're right there. But it's about making it a quiet high yardage game for him I think. And good secure tackling with Deebo. 

• Like 1

Everything has to start with shutting their run game down.  CMC, Mitchell and Deebo...can't let them get going and constantly getting chunks.  The biggest help will be if our offense can get us a lead early in the game.  The closer the game is, the harder it will be to control their run game and the short, controlled passing game.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, EaglesAddict said:

Everything has to start with shutting their run game down.  CMC, Mitchell and Deebo...can't let them get going and constantly getting chunks.  The biggest help will be if our offense can get us a lead early in the game.  The closer the game is, the harder it will be to control their run game and the short, controlled passing game.

That's pretty much what the Giants were with less talented players. One I noticed about SF they love the screen game. Our dline and LBs need to have contain.

• Like 2

I agree. Shut down the run. I think we definitely have the better overall team and it should show in the trenches. We also have a much better qb in my opinion. I wouldn’t mind blitzing the kid to try to get him to throw a bad pass. I’ve seen him throw multiple passes that should have been picked the last two weeks. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, EaglezMike said:

I agree. Shut down the run. I think we definitely have the better overall team and it should show in the trenches. We also have a much better qb in my opinion. I wouldn’t mind blitzing the kid to try to get him to throw a bad pass. I’ve seen him throw multiple passes that should have been picked the last two weeks. 

100%. He also runs around the backfield like a chicken with its head cut off. Our D line will have to be smart the way they chase him down.

• Like 1

Basically do what dalas did. Force purdy to have to beat them. Stop the run and get pressure on him. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The Niners have play makers in many areas.  It would be a challenge to match up and win the battle.  Kittle is obviously the key to keep in check.  This task could fall on the S, CTJT is a possibility, possibly Harris.  Blinkenship and Epps better keep them in their regular roles to cover and support.  Is Maddox ready to come back?  If so, he can help in the slot and against the Niners' receiving RBs.  The DBs will be busy in this game.

The DL has experienced DTs to stop the rushing attacks.  The LBs would contribute there.  The DEs and Reddick must get Purdy's life miserable.

• Like 1

So, here's my keys to the defense:

• Get consistent pressure with four, but send the occasional blitz with Slay or Edwards
  • Pin Bradberry on Samuel all day long, to the extent that Deebo can't get the smell of him out his nostrils
  • Spy CMC if you need to early, force them to pass more than Purdy is comfortable
  • Let slip the Dogs of War!
  • Like 4

What’s our game plan? Same game plan we have when Gannon faces a top offensive coach with top offensive players: pray a lot.

• Sad 1

Kittle worries me a bit because I do t think we do well with athletic TE who slip out of blocks and go out for passes.  That’s exactly the kind of TE he is.  He runs great routes and can find open spots,  the kind qbs improv with when getting out of pressure.  Just let’s hope Gannon doesn’t over scheme and keeps it fundamentally sound.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BornGreen said:

Kittle worries me a bit because I do t think we do well with athletic TE who slip out of blocks and go out for passes.  That’s exactly the kind of TE he is.  He runs great routes and can find open spots,  the kind qbs improv with when getting out of pressure.  Just let’s hope Gannon doesn’t over scheme and keeps it fundamentally sound.  

Yeah Kittle is going to be an issue. Our LBs are better this year than we've had for a long time but they still aren't great. TJ has had a really good year but he's not great in coverage. 

• Sad 1

Stop the run and force the rookie to pass.  Subject him to our pass rush and talented secondary.  If we can't control the run game, we will have a very hard time winning this game.

Stop the run first and foremost. Don’t let McCaffery and Deebo alignment moves confuse us… they are similar, interchangeable pieces, play Deebo in the backfield and CMC out wide the same as CMC in the backfield and Deebo out wide. Our pass rush will get home without doing anything too special.

Tackle, tackle, tackle

Sacks, disguised coverages and rattle the rookie like no other team has. Make the moment too big for the rookie. With all us fans screaming, sacks and hits piling up, the pressure of a game this big.... he gets rattled and makes mistakes. Forget Kittle and the rest- take the QB out of the game, and it's over early.

• Like 1

Step 1Get up in Purdys arse the entire game

Step 2. Get a lead and make them pass

Step 3. See Step 1

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1