we're in the Super Bowl mock

Eaglerick55

Hello all. Hope all are doing well. Huge congrats to the Birds for a terrific season, so far!!! One more to go!! 

Here are my thoughts ideas about 2023 draft.

A. Cap space. We have about 4.5m available, accounting for draft pick cash. We can restructure Slay and Lane. We can extend Jake Elliot. That will put us to about 30m to be available for free agents. Unfortunately, not too much, considering all of our free agents.

B. FA ideas.After next week's win, both Kelce and BG retire. We resign CJ, Sanders, Pascal, and TJ. Should give us 2-4m left over for emergencies. But we are also way short on draft picks.

C. 2024 draft capital. With all our losses in FA this year, we will get 4 compensatory picks in 2024. I predict a 3, 3, 4, 5. With our previous deals, that will give us a 1, 2, 2, 3, 3, 3, 4, 4, 5, 5, 5, 6, 7. No way Howie will keep them all for 2024. He will use some of 2024 capital to help with 2023 needs.

D. Draft trades. We trade 10 to Pitt for 17 and 49. Pitt will want to jump up to get an OT, or perhaps a CB they fall in love with.  We trade 31 to Carolina for 39 and 93. Carolina will not move up from 9,but will want to get another guy with 5th year option.  We trade 93 and 2024 #3 to Houston for 73. We trade 95 to NE for 116 and 134. We trade 2024 #4 to GB for 170. Still leaves us for the 2024 draft---1,2,2,3,3,4,5,5,6,7.  Also leaves us for 2023---17, 39, 49, 63, 73, 116, 134, 170, 200, 250.

E. 2023 draft.

17. Top CB on board. I like Christian Gonzalez from Oregon and Porter from PSU. Porter is more NFL ready, but Gonzalez has higher upside with his athleticism.

39. Andrew Voorhees OG USC. 6'6 320. Our new RG, replacing Isaac. Next student at Stoutland U

49 Zach Harrison DE Ohio St. 6'6 270. Solid against run and pass. Replaces BG in rotation.

63. Gervin Dexter. DT Florida. 6'6 310. Tough, solid DT. Strong and quick.

116. Ricky Stromberg OC Arkansas. 6'3 310. 3 yr starter at OC. Can also play guard. Backup to Beef.

134. Keeanu Benton DT Wisc. 6'4 320. Mostly a DT1, but has also played DT3. DT rotational depth

170. Tre Tucker. Slot receiver/KR. Cincy. 5'9 185. Legit low 4.3 speed Excellent slot guy and KR

200. Stetson Bennett QB Georgia. 5'11'190. Obviously excelled at Georgia in an RPO,Play-act,roll-out type of offense. Perfect for our offense

250. Dee Winters OLB TCU. 6'1 230. Depth LB and special teams

Let me know what you guys think. GO BIRDS!!

ER

• Like 1

Made a mistake here. Left out pick #73. JL Skinner Safety Boise St. 6'4 220. Will play more of an in-the-box safety. has size to cover most TE's. Not the fastest guy, but strong instincts, and a solid tackler.

Sorry for the whoops.

1 hour ago, Eaglerick55 said:

We can restructure Slay and Lane.

Not sure how you are getting that much money from the restructures.  Give me the broad strokes.

Per overthecap.com--restructure on Slay saves us 12.25m.  restructure on Lane saves us 10.6. extending Jake saves us 2.5. total is 25.35m saved. How this happens--no clue. But OTC has always been really accurate.

• Like 1

On 2/2/2023 at 5:10 PM, Eaglerick55 said:

C. 2024 draft capital. With all our losses in FA this year, we will get 4 compensatory picks in 2024. I predict a 3, 3, 4, 5. With our previous deals, that will give us a 1, 2, 2, 3, 3, 3, 4, 4, 5, 5, 5, 6, 7. No way Howie will keep them all for 2024. He will use some of 2024 capital to help with 2023 needs.

Great point!

D. Draft trades. We trade 10 to Pitt for 17 and 49. Pitt will want to jump up to get an OT, or perhaps a CB they fall in love with.  We trade 31 to Carolina for 39 and 93. Carolina will not move up from 9,but will want to get another guy with 5th year option.  We trade 93 and 2024 #3 to Houston for 73. We trade 95 to NE for 116 and 134. We trade 2024 #4 to GB for 170. Still leaves us for the 2024 draft---1,2,2,3,3,4,5,5,6,7.  Also leaves us for 2023---17, 39, 49, 63, 73, 116, 134, 170, 200, 250.

I like it. Bravo!!!

E. 2023 draft.

17. Top CB on board. I like Christian Gonzalez from Oregon and Porter from PSU. Porter is more NFL ready, but Gonzalez has higher upside with his athleticism.

39. Andrew Voorhees OG USC. 6'6 320. Our new RG, replacing Isaac. Next student at Stoutland U

49 Zach Harrison DE Ohio St. 6'6 270. Solid against run and pass. Replaces BG in rotation.

63. Gervin Dexter. DT Florida. 6'6 310. Tough, solid DT. Strong and quick.

116. Ricky Stromberg OC Arkansas. 6'3 310. 3 yr starter at OC. Can also play guard. Backup to Beef.

134. Keeanu Benton DT Wisc. 6'4 320. Mostly a DT1, but has also played DT3. DT rotational depth

170. Tre Tucker. Slot receiver/KR. Cincy. 5'9 185. Legit low 4.3 speed Excellent slot guy and KR

200. Stetson Bennett QB Georgia. 5'11'190. Obviously excelled at Georgia in an RPO,Play-act,roll-out type of offense. Perfect for our offense

250. Dee Winters OLB TCU. 6'1 230. Depth LB and special teams

One thing missing - running back. With your trade scenario, I'd probably take a RB at 49 (Charbonnet?) then a DE at 116 and a C @ 134. 

I really like your thinking - thanks

2 hours ago, Rob331 said:

One thing missing - running back. With your trade scenario, I'd probably take a RB at 49 (Charbonnet?) then a DE at 116 and a C @ 134. 

Hey Rob. Thx for positive feedback.

I did not go RB here, because I resigned Sanders. He said before SF game that he really wanted to come back and told Howie to call him. I think we can get him for 3yrs at around 15.5m. IF---Sanders does not resign, then Charbonnet is at top of my list. I have him going in the 60-75 range. If FA does not go my way, I will figure out how to get him into the fold.

I really like the idea of Sanders, Gainwell, and Sermon. Loved Sermon coming out of school. And Brooks as RB4

ER

8 hours ago, Rob331 said:

Charbonnet is definitely a consideration, but I wonder whether Roschon Johnson from Texas doesn’t give the same strengths as Charbonnet. Johnson would be available in Day Three.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mattwill said:

Charbonnet is definitely a consideration, but I wonder whether Roschon Johnson from Texas doesn’t give the same strengths as Charbonnet. Johnson would be available in Day Three.

Charbonnet has that killer north-south ability that would pair greatly with Gainwell.

Those two could easily become the best 1-2 punch in the NFL behind this OL. Even sans Semaulo/Kelce.

Don't let Charbonnet slip past RD2.

53 minutes ago, Iggles25 said:

Charbonnet has that killer north-south ability that would pair greatly with Gainwell.

Those two could easily become the best 1-2 punch in the NFL behind this OL. Even sans Semaulo/Kelce.

Don't let Charbonnet slip past RD2.

Johnson has that as well.

20 minutes ago, mattwill said:

Johnson has that as well.

Watch the highlights.

Johnson is good.

Charbonnet is great.

Let Sanders walk.

• Like 1

Charbonnet is very good, but he also doesn't have breakaway/home run speed.  He is definitely not great.

• Like 1

On 2/7/2023 at 9:13 PM, mattwill said:

harbonnet is definitely a consideration, but I wonder whether Roschon Johnson from Texas doesn’t give the same strengths as Charbonnet. Johnson would be available in Day Three.

Problem!!! We don't have picks in the 4th 5th or 6th round - only 2 in the 7th

• Like 1

On 2/10/2023 at 11:49 AM, Rob331 said:

Problem!!! We don't have picks in the 4th 5th or 6th round - only 2 in the 7th

That is where Howie the trader comes in. Using the trades that TDN offered me in their Mock simulator, I ended up with the following Mock that solved that problem.  

C7760F93-BF97-44A3-9D78-24BFB9561A85.png

916839CB-57EF-4451-95AC-508D033610F0.png

22 minutes ago, mattwill said:

That is where Howie the trader comes in. Using the trades that TDN offered me in their Mock simulator, I ended up with the following Mock that solved that problem.  

C7760F93-BF97-44A3-9D78-24BFB9561A85.png

916839CB-57EF-4451-95AC-508D033610F0.png

I agree several trades are the only way we fill the voids that will be there after free agency. OK this give us more picks but the pickings look line they were very lean. 

Let's look at the most obvious problems. 

• An offensive tackle in the 1st - no way when we'll need to fill a starter role at every defensive position. 
  • 2 edge rushers back to back makes no sense wit all of the aformentioned needs. One yes - two no. 
  • A TE in the 3rd when there are 7 on the roster - no way. There's no need 
  • The corner is far too low - who is going to start in place of Bradberry?
  • 3 edges and 3 RB's - where's the guard, safety, and DT?

I like playing with the draft networks mach simulator also but would think Howie lost his mind if he brought this group home. 

2 hours ago, Rob331 said:

Let's look at the most obvious problems. 

• An offensive tackle in the 1st - no way when we'll need to fill a starter role at every defensive position. 
  • 2 edge rushers back to back makes no sense with all of the aformentioned needs. One yes - two no. 
  • A TE in the 3rd when there are 7 on the roster - no way. There's no need 
  • The corner is far too low - who is going to start in place of Bradberry?
  • 3 edges and 3 RB's - where's the guard, safety, and DT?

I like playing with the draft networks mach simulator also but would think Howie lost his mind if he brought this group home. 

In reverse order

Broderick Jones is the Guard until Lane retires.  CJGJ and Blankenship are the starting Safeties.  Hargrave or Payne with Noah Elliss, Milton Williams, Jordan Davis are the DTs with Joseph and Suh on the Ma Bell Squad (possibly Cox as well).  With the DE cupboard restocked Graham will take DT snaps as well.

Bradberry will start in place of Bradberry with Jobe showing why he was so successful at Alabama.  With Slay, Bradberry, and Maddox in front of them we really don’t have any idea how advanced McPherson and/or Jobe are.  I trust the coaches to know.

He was the BPA at that point.  We have three viable TEs not seven.  Jackson and Togai are not viable any more than Josiah Scott is.

You draft for the future, not to fill roster holes.  The successor to Lane Johnson is the most pressing succession issue on the roster.  Further, if Kelce returns as I expect him to, Jurgens and Jones can cover RG very nicely.