Florida Gators to stop Gator Bait cheer/chomp..

Captain F

that is pretty sad. I feel so many things are being taken out of intended context and represented through a racial lens to sniff out every little thing that could potentially have a tie in. Clearly "Gator bait" when used with racial intent is dehumanizing, reprehensible and racist. But the origins of the chant happened 50+ years after the phrase was last used with racial intent. Furthermore the chant was created in response to a football contest. The two do not connect. Let the kids keep their chant, its pretty catchy (and this is coming from a lifelong UGA fan).

https://www.tampabay.com/opinion/2020/06/27/heres-what-ufs-historian-says-about-the-gator-bait-history-and-controversy-column/

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 6/24/2020 at 7:21 PM, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Political correctness run amok. 

It really has, and I hate to say it but I think it will only get worse.  

People today are too sensitive to anything that can (in any way) have anything racial to it.  

I hate the Cancel Culture mob with every fiber of my being.  

24 minutes ago, RebelJedi said:

People today are too sensitive ...

Can you imagine if something like All in The Family or The Jefferson's were to air today (exactly as they aired in the 70's)?

2 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Can you imagine if something like All in The Family or The Jefferson's were to air today (exactly as they aired in the 70's)?

I shudder to think.  I remember when people were not sensitive and could take watching shows without clutching their pearls over anything race-related.  For the record, I am not indifferent to racism because it is wrong, my point is too many people today make too many things about "race" when there really isn't anything race-related in the first place.