Report: Eagles agree to contract extension with offensive line coach Jeff Stoutland

time2rock

Report: Eagles agree to contract extension with offensive line coach Jeff Stoutland

Kempski_Headshot_2016-Final.jpg
BY JIMMY KEMPSKI
PhillyVoice Staff
Jeff_Stoutland_2_Eagles_Camp_Frese.jpgKATE FRESE/PHILLYVOICE

Jason Kelce and Jeff Stoutland

The Philadelphia Eagles have agreed to a contract extension with offensive line coach Jeff Stoutland, according to a report from ESPN. Stoutland, who will turn 61 next Friday, has been the Eagles' offensive line coach since the 2013 season. He had the title of "run game coordinator" added to his bio in 2018.

The Eagles' offensive line is regarded as the best in football. C Jason Kelce, LG Landon Dickerson, and RT Lane Johnson were all named to the Pro Bowl for their play during the 2022 season, while LT Jordan Mailata and RG Isaac Seumalo were named Pro Bowl alternates. Kelce and Johnson were also awarded First-Team All-Pro honors.

All five Eagles offensive line starters were originally drafted by the Eagles, with only Kelce having been drafted prior to Stoutland's arrival. All five linemen have grown as players under Stoutland's tutelage. 

According to the report from ESPN, Stoutland received interest from other teams around the league for offensive coordinator positions. Jeffrey Lurie no doubt opened up his purse strings a bit to retain Stoutland, and rightfully so, as Stoutland is arguably the most important assistant coach (among non-coordinators) in the NFL.

https://www.phillyvoice.com/report-eagles-sign-offensive-line-coach-jeff-stoutland-contract-extension/

I hope they compensated him really well.  Again, if I were the eagles, one of the things I would ask of Stoutland is to recognize and take under his wing are a couple of assistants that are disciples of his work. After he retires, I'd like to see Jason Peters work with Stoutland as an assistant.

Stoutland is the best in the NFL.....he's taken good players and made them great.....he's taken late rounders and made them good starters.  He created a brotherhood that strives to work together and the backups to always be ready.

Chip Kelly didn't do many things right here.....but getting Stoutland was genius.

On 2/4/2023 at 9:50 AM, birdman#12 said:

I hope they compensated him really well.  Again, if I were the eagles, one of the things I would ask of Stoutland is to recognize and take under his wing are a couple of assistants that are disciples of his work. After he retires, I'd like to see Jason Peters work with Stoutland as an assistant.

Stoutland is the best in the NFL.....he's taken good players and made them great.....he's taken late rounders and made them good starters.  He created a brotherhood that strives to work together and the backups to always be ready.

Chip Kelly didn't do many things right here.....but getting Stoutland was genius.

I’d rather see Kelce come back as a coach after retiring than JP. Peters started to lose me in the end (taking himself out of games, demanding a new contract when he had to move from guard to tackle due to injury, then signing with the POS cowboys). 

On 2/6/2023 at 5:47 AM, nipples said:

I’d rather see Kelce come back as a coach after retiring than JP. Peters started to lose me in the end (taking himself out of games, demanding a new contract when he had to move from guard to tackle due to injury, then signing with the POS cowboys). 

Those things don't bother me much, he's just having a hard time moving on from playing.

When he was here, a few young player talked about how helpful he was in the little things and mentally preparing.  Stoutland and him reportedly had a really good relationship.

But, you may be right that Kelce would be a better fit......he obviously has the respect of all the lineman and everybody else.  I wonder if he is open to coaching considering the demands of coaching.