Quick Draft Only Mock

GoEagles614

Just starting my yearly process. Draft only today as I have some time to kill. 

1.10. DT Calijah Kancey Pittsburgh

- If you watch him play, you’ll already know why he’s here. There’s not many interior defenders who disrupts and offense like Kancey does. He’s feet and hands are rapid, his motor is unlimited, and outside of his size, he has no downside. Lining up to Jordan Davis in a scheme where he’s assignment is rushing the passer, he’ll fit just perfectly. He has supreme athleticism, and has a variety of traditional and improvised moves to make sure he’s always in the backfield, or getting near the QB. Kancey also has the ability to play inside and out, for diverse pass rush looks, as well as going heavy on the edge if needed. Will also be versatile enough to run stunts from both the inside to outside, and outside to inside. Can also leverage a Jordan Davis slant into a stunt. He’s sudden and will be a monster on 3rd down. One of the most surprising prioritized double teams to see, because of his lack of size. Others have better size with potential, but Kancey has show he can play now, and still has room to improve. 

1.31. TE Darnell Washington Georgia

- Besides having a Dallas Goedert backup, Eagles can continue to have 2 TE schemes, with an elite blocker who’s willing and able to pull to protect edges or fill seal holes on zone runs. Most people like him simply because of his size as a receiving option, but with his ability to really give 100% in the blocking game, I think he helps our offense in multiple ways.

From the TE and Y position he’d also be able kick out and give AJ/Smitty heavy blocks for quick hit screens, and is always moving downfield to find blocks for his teammates. 

As a reciever he’s massive, as a red zone target he’s perfect, and he has the ability to fit behind zone coverage and find his spots to use his large hands to secure the ball. After the catch he’s a load to stop. He’s able to check and release to give Hurts protection and a safety check down. He’s shown tape to be able to pull, extremely well and find the extra man, but also can use this talent to leak out on play action or for TE screens. 

This is a luxury pick, but a pick that gives our offense more versatility, depth, and continue to run our run heavy offense, with more power. Besides Mayer, there’s not many TEs you’ll find like this, I feel he’s a better fit in Philly than Mayer however.  This also allows us to run less 3WR sets as Quez isn’t a good blocker, and has been somewhat of a disappointment after taking a step back from last year’s explosive season, losing 5 yards per reception, and having his lowest yards per target in his short career, even though AJ Brown and Smitty require more coverage attention. 

2.63. OT/OG Cody Mauch North Dakota State

- Uber athletic offensive tackle who uses it to be explosive and sudden in and blocking scenarios. Will kick inside to guard in Philly. Has desired length to keep control of defensive linemen, and has great ability to attack to the second level. Will also be able to use his quick light feet to pull to outside the Tackle as a lead blocker or wrap around the center. At tackle he’s used his athleticism to recover or catch up to a defender who had him beat, inside at guard we will see less of these opportunities for the defender, as they’ll be a bit slower than the ends and edge rushers he’s used to facing at tackle. While inside he’ll be able to lean on and move the line of scrimmage backwards for our running game. Lastly, his effort levels and motors are elite. There’s never a play where he doesn’t clearly want to win the rep. 

CB Deonte Banks Maryland

- 6’2 and Competitive in coverage, with an ability to mirror and learn receivers routes, Banks will give us a tall CB who takes it personally to cover one on one. He’s a willing (but not great) tackler who will struggle to fight blocks. But He’s here to cover, and that’s what he does well, first and foremost. With aging CBs, we need to inject some talented youth into the group, with the physical measures and instincts as a foundation that can develop their talent. In a deep CB draft, it’s going to be wild to see where all of the CBs end up, with several options that could possibly be day 1 starters, this might be the deepest position in the draft in a few seasons. Many outlets have him a day 2, top 100 pick. 

7.220. RB Tavion Thomas Utah

- Heavy back with quick feet that don’t quit moving. First contact means almost nothing  to this kid, as he can rip through arm tackles and his knees churn high enough to escape tackle attempts at his feet. He’s able to explode through a hole with leverage behind his pads with enough speed to get through the second level in a hurry. With Gainwell and Scott, he should provide a nice compliment to their quick burst and shiftiness. Willing pass catcher out of the backfield. He’s a back that will grind away at a defense until they decide to quit. Also able to carry a pile forward for additional yards. Will have to work on prioritizing ball security while he’s worrying through the mess. 

7.250. Edge Isaiah Land Florida A&M

- Taking a flyer on a project player, will need to add a lot of mass but also work on staying low, and using his hands and bend. He has a good motor, natural athlete, and has a great ability to dip his shoulder to avoid contact from OL. Over 19 sacks against lesser comp last season. Shows flashes and ability to go inside or outside using his speed against offensive tackles and willing to play through the whistle. 

• Like 1

I appreciate your explainations and reasoning but I woul dbe very disappointed with this draft. 

At 10 Breese would be available and later Dexter would be there. I'd prefer both to Cancey

We have absolutely no need for a TE with a premuim pick. 

I like a G in the 2nd but i;d take Vorhees

We need a starter quality CB and Banks isn't it

Bottom line with all the free agents we'll be losing, Howie will have to make multiple trades to get additional premium picks. 

Thanks for the post - it was  an interesting read and sure presented a different prespective. 

Breese is probably the most inconsistent 1st round pick. He gets bullied one play, and flashes the next. For a top 10 pick I’d rather have the guy who’s showing effort and consistency, every play, every game.

Taking a fluid T/G over a pure G makes a little more sense to me, especially with Lane’s injury + chances of early(ish) retirement. But this is splitting hairs from my pov. Either would be decent. 

I think you draft BPA in any draft, unless you’re one piece away. Washington is a massive upgrade to our TE group and does allow the entire offense to improve with his presence. Almost adding an OT who can run routes and catch cleanly. We’d truly have a pick your poison offense, and actually upgrade the already great run game. I get your point of needing to replace who we’re losing, but putting more points on the board and controlling the clock helps defense massively. 

Theres going to be a lot of CBs from this starting early into next season. Not sure why you dislike Banks, but he has the attitude, body and ball skills from the position. I say he’s a steal in the 3rd. 

I figure there will be trades, I’m not mocking trades in this one though. 

• Like 1

Id really love to get Washington, I think he'd be a perfect fit on our offense with his elite ability to block. He might even be able to take our run game to another level (which would be crazy given it's already elite) and then his size as a TE2 would be great. It's not talked about much but when Goedert went down, Stoll and Calcaterra just weren't threats. Washington would give us a REAL backup to Goedert. But as you said it really would be a luxury pick because there's risk to him being taken in the 1st with his relative lack of production in college. We just haven't really seen if he has the ability to eventually become a full time starter as a receiving threat yet.

My only real fear from this draft is the lack of a high end CB. There are a lot of very talented CBs available in the 1st. Which just feels like a good fit, but would eliminate the ability to get Washington (not sure 10 is the spot for CB). It's possible we finally get to see what we have in McPhearson which tbf he's played extremely well in the snaps he has played, he's held up with Slay and Bradberry as far as on field production but thats with such a small small sample size it's hard to be sure if he's really that good or just has been fortunate in those snaps. Banks would be interesting as a backup and eventual replacement for Slay potentially but it'd be a big risk going into the year with Banks/McPhearson as the camp battle (they could always will in FA but in sticking with your specific post)

8 hours ago, Overlord said:

Id really love to get Washington, I think he'd be a perfect fit on our offense with his elite ability to block. He might even be able to take our run game to another level (which would be crazy given it's already elite) and then his size as a TE2 would be great. It's not talked about much but when Goedert went down, Stoll and Calcaterra just weren't threats. Washington would give us a REAL backup to Goedert. But as you said it really would be a luxury pick because there's risk to him being taken in the 1st with his relative lack of production in college. We just haven't really seen if he has the ability to eventually become a full time starter as a receiving threat yet.

My only real fear from this draft is the lack of a high end CB. There are a lot of very talented CBs available in the 1st. Which just feels like a good fit, but would eliminate the ability to get Washington (not sure 10 is the spot for CB). It's possible we finally get to see what we have in McPhearson which tbf he's played extremely well in the snaps he has played, he's held up with Slay and Bradberry as far as on field production but thats with such a small small sample size it's hard to be sure if he's really that good or just has been fortunate in those snaps. Banks would be interesting as a backup and eventual replacement for Slay potentially but it'd be a big risk going into the year with Banks/McPhearson as the camp battle (they could always will in FA but in sticking with your specific post)

Tariq Woolen and Jack Jones are good examples of later picks who found success from last year’s draft. I think this draft is less too heavy and has more meat in the middle than last year. It’s really a crap shoot, but I full expect a couple of these guys in the mid rounds to contribute pretty quickly and find success. I like Banks because his attitude and motor seems highly competitive, he has a great body for the position, and seems to be able to really match receivers well when his assignment is to literally cover someone. But I don’t think he’s a sure fire starter day 1, just wouldn’t surprise me if he developed into it. 

I think one thing that we miss as fans, is it’s going to take more than one season to retool this team after all of these key free agents are expiring. Next year’s draft we’re going to have 8 picks, including two 2nds. So between the trades in this draft and next years draft we’ll see a lot of positions addressed and some neglected until next season. 

I agree with you about Washington. Just an alternative way to make our offense more efficient, without spending a first on a running back. 

Breese's height + knee issue is a concern for me.  I'd prefer to stay away, but fully understand the need to address DT.

On 2/18/2023 at 8:22 AM, Greenakers2 said:

Breese's height + knee issue is a concern for me.  I'd prefer to stay away, but fully understand the need to address DT.

I don’t have him in my mock… 

Although I think it would be too early for Kancey and I don’t think we should use a first on a TE, I like this mock a lot.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ray75 said:

Although I think it would be too early for Kancey and I don’t think we should use a first on a TE, I like this mock a lot.

I think he’s the most unique at his position at that spot. He’s going to be an elite blocker, for a run heavy team, our 2TE sets would be nasty. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Nice first attempt. Some picks are questioned but still.