Super Bowl Mock

Infam

So, we do have a good roster and are heading to the SB, as I hoped and predicted before the season. Now obviously Roseman did a great job to put this all together and there are a few lessons on how he usually operates that can give us a hint on what we might continue to do in the future given the success we had. That means we will use a lot of high draft picks on offense again and try to find free agents on defense. Now obviously in the first round the targets are different, as the Eagles have tried for quite some time to find a top 10 corner to build on. Usually the top targets were gone by the time the Eagles were on the clock and it is entirely possible that that will be the case this time as well. If so, the Eagles will almost certainly pick a DL player. Actually if for some reason Carter was to drop in striking distance they may drop everything else and go for it but in general I expect them to plan with Hargrave and Davis as the starters for the future.

That said I expect a realistic best case scenario to pick a corner, even over DE - if that corner is Witherspoon.

Hurts has established himself as the franchise (as expected) and he will be extended this offseason for a lot of money. Now what many people seem to not understand is that this does not mean we can't keep many people and we are short of money because given that it's an extension we still get Hurts to play super cheap for one more year. That means that we will try to keep the three key players that need to be kept: Bradberry, CJGJ and Hargrave. Expect all three of them to get new deals with a lot of money backloaded as usual.

I know at this point I might count as a Sanders hater and he sure is proving me wrong this year but I don't think giving him a huge contract is a smart move moving forward.

Other players we will try to keep if the money is right: BG, Suh, Edwards, Epps, White, Seumalo, Scott, Pascal. Kelce if he wants another year.

So let's take a look at the offense of the future. Hurts, Brown, Smith, Goedert, Mailata, Dickerson, Jurgens are young players that we will keep for the future for sure.

That leaves RG and RT (only RT if you think Seumalo is the starter) and you would want your RT to be a swing tackle backup as long as Lane plays. You also could use a star receiver in the slot (just saying..) as Watkins is a good #4 but imo more of a Robin. And that's fine, you want to have two good Robins like Watkins and Pascal at #4 and #5. Last but not least we would need another RB if we let Sanders walk. Preferably one that is good catching the ball but will block for you.

Let's talk about ideal fits for the four positions on offense in the draft:

RG - A great fit here both in terms of size and skill is Andrew Vorhees. With 6'6 as big as Dickerson and excellent mindset.

RT - Blake Freeland. He has been from first round to fourth round and seems to be hard to predict so let's see at the combine. I will say I hope he could be a third round pick and I don't think he could be had any lower. He's 6'8 with all the usual pros and cons that brings with it though with above average athleticism and room to grow in the teaching department. He did play two years at RT before switching to LT so he does bring the swing.

WR - Jaxon Smith-Njigba. Daniel Jeremiah picked him for us at #31 and that sounds like a good place to pick him. He is a really good underestimated receiver and would be a big time weapon in the slot.

RB - Jahmyr Gibbs. He is as explosive as they come and has excellent hands. Usually the second RB off the board (in this case after Robinson) falls to the late second round and at that point he would be huge given that he is half receiver.

And now let's check out the current starters on defense.

Up front we got Davis and hopefully Hargrave, in rotation is Williams. Plus whomever of Cox, Suh, Joseph wants to play for cheap.

Then at Edge we got Sweat and Reddick, probably BG.

Linebackers would still be Edwards and White plus Dean, though to be honest it is possible to patch up things at LB.

Then we got Slay, Bradberry and Maddox + McPhearson, and CJGJ, Epps, Blankenship.

I understand I did not leave out everyone old like I did on offense - that is because I think it's strategy to build offense through the draft first. But still where do we need to upgrade on the defense first and foremost? I would say first is corner if you can upgrade there with a top prospect. With Maddox getting hurt a lot he should get his feet wet early plus you get to rebuild after the aging corners. Then we want a DE to build on (shame Barnett is not that guy) and probably are attracted to DT if a top prospect can be had there.

Lastly there is safety. With a backfield of Slay, Bradberry and CJGJ a top safety could be the biggest piece here. But given that both Epps and Blankenship looked good and that we just don't draft safety early I will assume that safety is still a matter for FA.

So let's take a look at prospects for the three defense positions:

CB - Devon Witherspoon. He is only 6'0, 180 - but don't let that fool you. He is a total ball hawk and willing tackler. The best corner in the draft and well worth our top10 pick if we were so lucky.

DT - Jalen Carter. Beast of a DT and probably a top 5 pick. But you never know what happens and if he comes close I expect him to be our pick.

DE - Miles Murphy. More of a fall back to choice for me he was Jeremiah's pick for #10. Solid pass rusher but I am scared he may be another Barnett.

I am too lazy to sort out a complete offseason with contract money and signings so I will just assume we kept the guys we wanted or found adequate replacement.

So here comes my draft:

1- Devon Witherspoon, CB  After missing out the last times, this year we get the best corner in the draft.

2- Andrew Vorhees, G           Every year another second rounder to build the line of the future.

2- Jahmyr Gibbs, RB            Pass catching RB that will make you forget Sanders pretty fast.

3- Blake Freeland, OT           Underrated swing tackle, other teams might pass on him because of his 6'8 size. First round talent.

4- Ji'Ayir Brown, S                Toughness, tackling, production. He will be useful either way.   

The #31 pick (fingers crossed) traded down a bit for later picks.

So once more draft / trade for offense and throw money at the defense. With the exception of the early first round where you just want the top talent - in this draft that probably means defense. 

Remaining for future picks: DL, another corner, slot receiver and maybe RT.

Good thoughtful presentation and as always, it's a crapshoot when it comes to drafting. I don't follow college much (except for PS) so a lot more knowledgeable posters will sort out the good or not so good players to draft. Regarding Davis at DT watched Georgia in the play-offs and after the draft did some background checking on his college career. A big guy who can clog the middle but limited in lateral movements. Looked to me like a so-so player but seems GM's see a big guy who can be taught to be much better in the pros. Have my doubts. Rookie year incomplete.

• Like 1

On 2/5/2023 at 6:21 AM, Infam said:

RG - A great fit here both in terms of size and skill is Andrew Vorhees. With 6'6 as big as Dickerson and excellent mindset.

On 2/5/2023 at 6:21 AM, Infam said:

CB - Devon Witherspoon. He is only 6'0, 180 - but don't let that fool you. He is a total ball hawk and willing tackler. The best corner in the draft and well worth our top10 pick if we were so lucky.

Completely agree with Vorhees - great call!

Would rather trade the Saints pick for a lower 1 and a 2. Then a corner with that 1 which would ideally be around #16. Porter, Gonzales, or Witherspoon all would suit me. 

Then trade the 30/31 pick for a 2 and a 3. 

With the 3 seconds we could get a RB (Charbonnet?), Vorhees (from your lips to God's ear) and a DT. 

Then trere are 2 picks in the third - need a DE and I'd be ok with Freeland also. 

Ja'Ayir would be a nice 4th round pickbut I don't think we have one. 

Great read - thanks

• Like 1