Hogwarts Legacy

BirdsFanBill

Anyone buying this?

As a millennial Harry Potter is a giant part of my childhood, so of course the return to that world in an open RPG type game is appealing. Reviews finally out today give it solid marks it seems. 

3 hours ago, BirdsFanBill said:

Anyone buying this?

As a millennial Harry Potter is a giant part of my childhood, so of course the return to that world in an open RPG type game is appealing. Reviews finally out today give it solid marks it seems. 

My daughter is big into Harry Potter and is excited to play this - will get it for her when it comes out for the Switch.  

Do you get to go to the sorting hat to get your house assignment? 

I am downloading. I was in Atlanta the past 5 days for a work Expo thing. 

• Like 1

Played about two hours yesterday. Didn’t even start the main quests really just spent an hour running around Hogwarts exploring. Really cool so far

• Like 1

On 2/8/2023 at 7:32 PM, Gannan said:

Do you get to go to the sorting hat to get your house assignment? 

indeed

• Like 1

It loaded my info from the interwebz so I’m assuming it auto-suggested Slytherin at the hat ceremony because of that. I spent 95% of my time so far just exploring the castle and grounds. Zero missions yet. Then I was get sleepy so I took a long nap. 

52 minutes ago, BirdsFanBill said:

Got my wand at olivanders. Game is the ish. 

Game gives me the option to go to charms and defense against the dark arts I think. I haven’t done either yet, but maybe hogsmede is after those? 

3 hours ago, mikemack8 said:

https://www.foxnews.com/media/tech-site-trashed-after-giving-harry-potter-game-rock-bottom-review-score-j-k-rowlings-views

A trans writer gave the game the lowest possible rating because she's butthurt about JK Rowling :roll: 

Didn't read the article but I've heard that JK Rollings wasn't even part of the game. Plus there's a trans character in it and you can easily create trans characters

So that's odd as hell

Game is really nice. So much to do. I really like that you can make the gear invisible and keep the stats

Not a fan of the inventory space. Although that's more because I roamed around a lot and did side quests collecting gear and items before really starting the main quests

Speaking of trans or whatever, I've noticed that EVERY person in the game is referred to as "they" -- doesn't both me but the fact that there hasn't been a single "he" or "she" in hours of gameplay and tons of dialog was at least noticed by myself. Also Hogwarts became the most diverse school ever as like half the students and half the staff seem to be non-British, which is a decent departure from the films. Seems even less likely for that diversity to be the case in the 1800s.

On 2/17/2023 at 4:57 PM, Agent23 said:

Speaking of trans or whatever, I've noticed that EVERY person in the game is referred to as "they" -- doesn't both me but the fact that there hasn't been a single "he" or "she" in hours of gameplay and tons of dialog was at least noticed by myself. Also Hogwarts became the most diverse school ever as like half the students and half the staff seem to be non-British, which is a decent departure from the films. Seems even less likely for that diversity to be the case in the 1800s.

I never noticed it. It's kind of funny because there were only 2 options in the create a character. Witch and Wizard

But you could make a character look trans

5 hours ago, Mike030270 said:

I never noticed it. It's kind of funny because there were only 2 options in the create a character. Witch and Wizard

But you could make a character look trans

I created a male character (if I replay, I think I am making a Witch names Hermoine Danger who answer's every question rudely, by lying, or asking "what do I get in return?"), but I noticed it still seemed to have female-like hair options? If there was anything beyond that, I hadn't noticed. 

The owner of the bar in Hogsmede 100% seems like a Trans though. Like its a woman character and name but has a super masculine voice IMO and one of the quests where you interact with "them", they say something about living with a family in the summers and them "accepting me" or something along those lines that gave off that vibe. Maybe me reading into more than what is there.

Side note. I was struggling so hard to buy supplies to grow plants, brew potions, or buy a broom that are all early-game items. I had opened zero bouncy eyeball chests because I couldn't and assumed it would require some spell or ability unlocked later in the game. Not sure if I just missed it all together, but if you use the Disillusionment charm to make yourself invisible, then you can "sneak" up to those chests (found out by googling how to earn money in the game). Once I learned that, my bank account went from Ron Weasley to Harry Potter in minutes! 

12 minutes ago, Agent23 said:

I created a male character (if I replay, I think I am making a Witch names Hermoine Danger who answer's every question rudely, by lying, or asking "what do I get in return?"), but I noticed it still seemed to have female-like hair options? If there was anything beyond that, I hadn't noticed. 

The owner of the bar in Hogsmede 100% seems like a Trans though. Like its a woman character and name but has a super masculine voice IMO and one of the quests where you interact with "them", they say something about living with a family in the summers and them "accepting me" or something along those lines that gave off that vibe. Maybe me reading into more than what is there.

Side note. I was struggling so hard to buy supplies to grow plants, brew potions, or buy a broom that are all early-game items. I had opened zero bouncy eyeball chests because I couldn't and assumed it would require some spell or ability unlocked later in the game. Not sure if I just missed it all together, but if you use the Disillusionment charm to make yourself invisible, then you can "sneak" up to those chests (found out by googling how to earn money in the game). Once I learned that, my bank account went from Ron Weasley to Harry Potter in minutes! 

I think the bar tender is the trans character that was added. Definitely seemed like it

You can easily make a character look male but have a females voice and vice versa. I was disappointed with the selection of voices. Even if the characters are high school age there should be a wide range of voices available

I had to look up how to open those and just waited until I got the spell

I haven't bought anything except a broom but I'm only level 16 I think

I was curious about the dialogue as well. There are relationship stats so I was hoping that being an a-hole wouldn't remove quests and rewards. Also even though I was planning on going the evil route I felt like being nice is fine because every evil guy needs a following lol

1 minute ago, Mike030270 said:

I think the bar tender is the trans character that was added. Definitely seemed like it

You can easily make a character look male but have a females voice and vice versa. I was disappointed with the selection of voices. Even if the characters are high school age there should be a wide range of voices available

I had to look up how to open those and just waited until I got the spell

I haven't bought anything except a broom but I'm only level 16 I think

I was curious about the dialogue as well. There are relationship stats so I was hoping that being an a-hole wouldn't remove quests and rewards. Also even though I was planning on going the evil route I felt like being nice is fine because every evil guy needs a following lol

I have pretty much been polite/nice in every interaction so far (maybe 1 or 2 unintentional slipups) and I read months ago that there is NOT a good/evil meter (side note: infamous games were fun to play as both paths), so I think the end result occurs. You can lie when you collect/have certain items, so not sure if you choose that route if you just don't give it to the person but the mission/sidequest still "completes", or if you do the "what's in it for me?" if you can collect extra money from people? I'll probably do a 2nd play whether it be at the conclusion of my current one or in the future where I just be a complete d-bag.

I'm LVL28 maybe, but it's mainly been sidequests. I have main story that recomends being like LVL8 or something and I got one of my sidequest branches up to recommending LVL30, so I'm still decently early in the main story. I think the most meaningful thing I have reached is a point where you can capture (allegedly "save") animals out in the wild. (Side note - looks like I'm what would be Main Quest 9 -- some have like 5-6 parts that make them up -- and there maybe are 13 main quests from this list I just looked up... so I might be close to 75% even though I'm only at like 28hrs played -- a lot of exploring that I had to double and triple back on since every spell you learn or item you gain allows you to access areas you couldn't reach before).