February Mock

Rob331

I'm getting a bit depressed and here's why -

• The free agents. 4 DT's, Hargrave, Cox, Suh, and Joseph. DE - BG. LB - Edwards and White. S - Epps and CGJ. Corner  - Bradberry. RB - Sanders and Scott, G - Seumalo and Opeta. C - Kelce. WR - Pascal.  QB - Monshew, OT - Dillard. LS - Lovato. That's 7 starters on defense and 3 on offense plus a chunk of our depth. 
  • No draft picks in the 4th 5th or 6th rounds and only 6 total
  • Our cap situation. $4M available witha big deal coming for Jalen Hurts. 

All of that results in not being able to sigh many (any) of our own guys, not being able to sign other free agents, not having draft capital to replensih the roster, having to play the rookies we do draft and a down year in 2023. 

The only high note I see is getting 4 mid-round comp picks in 2024.

.Hopefully, Howie pulls off a couple of draft day trades and we have enough picks to replenish the roster while also doing cap magic. A wish isn't a plan so here goes a mock with the situation as we know it today. 

• 1 (10) - Joey Porter CB Penn State. Bradberry is going to be a very highly paid free agent and there's virtually no way he comes back.  
  • 1 (31) - Gervon Dexter DT  Florida.Like Bradberry, Hargrave will be a premium free agent and we'll have little or no ability to resign him, Howie stays true to building the lines.
  • 2 (63)  - Andrew Vorhees G Southern Cal. Almost a twin of Landon Dickerson and with Seumalo a free agent the familiar refrain of "build the lines" prevails. 
  • 3 (95) - Zach Charbonnet RB UCLA. He'll be the thunder to Gainwell's lightning. 
  • 7  - Demarco Hellams S Alabama. Although not highly rated, having one of Nick Sabin's guys strenthens the roster.
  • 7 - Clayton Tune QB Houston. We learned from the 49'ers just how valuable the back end of the roster quarterbacks are. 

• Like 1

Your first bullet shows no faith in Howie.  I fully expect him to bring back CJGJ, Hargrave (or alternatively Daron Payne), Bradberry (or an "prove it” one year CB like Bradberry was this year), and Graham.  I expect Sanders, Seumalo, Dillard, Edwards, White, and Epps all to move on to another team.

Howie will make it fit with incentive laden contracts.

I also wouldn’t be at all surprised if Kelce comes back for one more bite of the apple.  He has never played better than he did this year, and he is clearly having a ton of fun.

• Like 1

Out of all those guys, keeping the Oline intact will be Howie's priority, IMO. Thus, I believe Howie will try to sign Seumalo. 

I expect the draft will be used to replenish the defense with just about every pick. 

5 hours ago, jsdarkstar said:

Out of all those guys, keeping the Oline intact will be Howie's priority, IMO. Thus, I believe Howie will try to sign Seumalo. 

I expect the draft will be used to replenish the defense with just about every pick. 

Howie also understands succession planning.  On day one Broderick Jones will be a better RG than Seumalo, even though the ultimate destination for Jones will be RT.  Howie also knows that Stoutland will take the raw clay that Jones will be when he arrives at camp and make that clay into the continuity you covet.  Trust the Process.  

Further, even if Jones isn’t the Eagles’ selection, I suspect that Jurgens at RG provides even more upside continuity than Seumalo does.   Of course that alternative means Kelce comes back fore one more bite of the apple, which I believe he will do.

JMO

My suspicion is that Philly makes every effort to bring Edwards back they can. Dean does not strike me as a Mike.  I think they "should" make every effort to bring Scott back as well. * He's proven to be durable, excellent inside runner with burst and legit KR.  That's value to me.  CJ is priority #1 w/o a doubt.  Hurts is an extension - so he'll play under the same money next year regardless -which provides some near - term breathing room.  Can never know with Kelce.  What I do know is that OL depth will be reduced to PS and bs with the departures.

The problem for me with the DL is that as of this writing I have no freaking idea who the DC will be.  Scheme change?  We still have bodies on the edge, and legit starters.  BG could get offered a 2 year deal to finish it out here as depth.  Long term a concern.......but the immediate need is inside. I do not believe in Davis.   Because of the lack of picks, #30 is in line to be moved for a late second or third, plus mid-rounders they lack.  No way do they sit out from 4th-6th.  No way.  

Given what they currently have in draft capital, and picking at 10 - CB remains as good a value option as any position. * a very underrated need for me is QB-2. They need to find a back-up who does not drastically change the offense if #1 is unavailable.  I also think Slot needs addressing. Done with Watkins, not physical inside - not valued as deep/decoy.  Need more from WR - 3.

I absolutely love Charbonnet.  He can take some ground power pressure off Hurts -but what makes him so special to me is that he is sure handed as a receiver, and is absolutely LETHAL when he catches footballs in space.  Vision is good as well.  Thing is; I'd have no confidence he lands here given the lack of mid-round assets. I have believed for awhile now that Sermon was brought in to prepare for Miles' departure.  2 carries for 21 yards doesn't indicate a lack of faith, just a lack of need in 2022.  Anything else comes from the UDFA dumpster diving.   CB/OL/QB-2/DT/Slot/S in some order.

• Like 1

On 2/11/2023 at 6:29 PM, mattwill said:

Your first bullet shows no faith in Howie.

I think Howie is great but this year I think the odds are stacked against him and his magic.