Siri deviated from the formula and it cost us

Swimm

You don't go for it on your own 32 yard line in that spot. Without the 20/20 hindsight of the bad punt and even worse punt coverage nobody is saying this. Siri might not be the play caller but the offense is basically his and the defense is the other moron. The offense put up 35 friggin points. The defense gave up 31 and played a pathetically vanilla ore-season type defense and never adjusted at all in the second half when the Chiefs scored TD's on 3 out of 3 drives and would have on 4 out of 4 had they wanted to. Not only that, the entire game the players in the secondary were clearly not on the same page about who was supposed to be where several times. The middle of the field was as wide open as it was for us against the Vikings. The Eagles lost for a lot of reasons but BY FAR and away the biggest reason was the DC who got outcoached by Reid/Bienemy like he was prison raped in the shower.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Eagles_ftw said:

This is literally why the Eagles lost that game.  That's a historically bad performance.  Hell, take the defense off the field entirely and the Eagles might have had a better chance of winning because the Chiefs would've scored a lot faster, leaving the Eagles offense (the only ones who showed up to the game) more time to possess the ball. 

Right.  The Offense had to also play defense with long drives.  Why was Gannon playing zone between the 20s and man in the RZ so much?  Shouldn't that be reversed, using the sidelines and the endzone for spacing in the RZ.  Fangio should return the consulting fee he was paid for the last 2 weeks.  That was a hot mess out there.

• Like 2

On 2/13/2023 at 3:04 AM, Utebird said:

I don't know about that, Siri was pretty aggressive going for it multiple times in 4th down.

I blame the late FG more on time management, it was 3rd and 6 that turned into 3rd 11 with the delay of game.

They then run a super conservative crossing route to gainwell well short of the first.

If they avoid that delay of game they have a better shot of converting it making the 4th down another QB sneak decision, as is it was a longer 4th down conversion so they took the points.

As for the punt, that was I pretty deep eagles territory and it wasn't a gimme distance on 4th down, that punt though was just horrible.

I was yelling at the TV and Sipposs and my 6 year old daughter said to me, he tried his best.

Sadly she wasn't wrong that's his best he's trash.

Yep.  I don’t really fault him for not going for it on 4th down in that situation.  The offense was "off” prior to the 4th down.  They weren’t "clicking” or "flowing” - which is what you want to see prior to going for it on 4th.   If there were several close plays prior to the 4th down then yes - go for it - like they did several other times.  

Maybe call a timeout there, regroup prior to making a decision but "just going for it” there didn’t make a lot of sense to me because the offense didn’t look good in the previous several plays. 

• Like 2

On 2/13/2023 at 9:09 AM, Swimm said:

Also.  Not being prepared for the awful field  conditions.  The chiefs weren't slipping nearly as much cause they knew about the field. Another dud from Siri. 

Agree but to be fair though, it appears the Chiefs were tipped off about the field conditions and the Eagles weren't.  I can blame the Eagles for the coaching mistakes, but I can't blame them for expecting a multi-billion dollar organization to provide a respectable field to play on for the biggest sporting event of the year. 

• Like 1

On 2/13/2023 at 7:45 PM, cmd227 said:

Right.  The Offense had to also play defense with long drives.  Why was Gannon playing zone between the 20s and man in the RZ so much?  Shouldn't that be reversed, using the sidelines and the endzone for spacing in the RZ.  Fangio should return the consulting fee he was paid for the last 2 weeks.  That was a hot mess out there.

Top 3 defense during regular season.

Well regarded DC who is a candidate for HC job.

And for some reason they lay the worst defensive performance in Eagles history.

Almost seems like it was planned...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

What I find most incongruous is how Sirianni values aggressiveness in game management and offensive playcalling but then settles for some passive "play not to lose" defense.  I hope that gets fixed this off-season.

• Like 3

Even average special teams would give us a situation with time left the way Siri was planning it out. Even the putrid Gannon scheme may have given us some time, even if they still throw that flag. As long as that punt doesn’t end up being the total disaster it was.

If the punt is even average they still give us the ball back with under a minute to go and at least a TO. The "can’t beat Mahomes in a shootout” narrative would have died.

Siri made plenty of mistakes but also the least amount of them compared to ST and D. His formula was fine and was working all game.

35 minutes ago, Kwahu said:

Even average special teams would give us a situation with time left the way Siri was planning it out. Even the putrid Gannon scheme may have given us some time, even if they still throw that flag. As long as that punt doesn’t end up being the total disaster it was.

If the punt is even average they still give us the ball back with under a minute to go and at least a TO. The "can’t beat Mahomes in a shootout” narrative would have died.

Siri made plenty of mistakes but also the least amount of them compared to ST and D. His formula was fine and was working all game.

I made a post before the game they should have stuck with the backup punter who actually did very well in the NFCCG. Siposs always sucked.

• Like 1

On 2/13/2023 at 2:57 AM, Swimm said:

Plenty of blame to go around. But. He went for that  FG when we know FGs weren't gonna cut it.

The  worst offender  was that  4th and 2 punt. When 99% of the time you would have gone for it. Take into account  the Defense is a complete joke at this point and wasn't gonna make a stop. Or that our punter just  absolutely blows. So instead of going for it we get a 30 yard punt( WTF does this guy do in practice all day?) with a huge return.

Siri waited until the biggest game of his career to turn into a chicken and go against what the Eagles have done all season. It cost the eagles.

Siri let the team down as much as the defense did.

The decision was sound, the special teams play was not.  The biggest bugaboo was by Seumalo.  That false start literally cost the Eagles the game IMO.

• Like 1

If he'd gone for the 4th and 2 and missed it, he'd have been crucified by every NFL talking head in the world for years. 

Siposs hasn't been a stellar punter but no one could predict he'd pull out that stinker in the biggest game, and the Special Teams coverage has been iffy all season, I maintain there were at least a couple blocks in the back in there but the coverage still has to be better.

The entire defense pulled out it's worst half of football all season, the coverage on the last two touchdowns was sub high school level.

Then they get a penalty on a ball Smith Schuster was never catching unless he's been hiding the power of teleportation waiting for just that moment.

• Like 1

On 2/13/2023 at 7:09 AM, Swimm said:

Also.  Not being prepared for the awful field  conditions.  The chiefs weren't slipping nearly as much cause they knew about the field. Another dud from Siri. 

Their DE didn't get pressure either and their DL strength was from the inside, so that's a bad take. Rushing up the middle is a power move vs speed and agility, which doesn't work well in slippery conditions. That's why they didn't have issues. Mahomes fell a few times as well.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/13/2023 at 2:57 AM, Swimm said:

Plenty of blame to go around. But. He went for that  FG when we know FGs weren't gonna cut it.

The  worst offender  was that  4th and 2 punt. When 99% of the time you would have gone for it. Take into account  the Defense is a complete joke at this point and wasn't gonna make a stop. Or that our punter just  absolutely blows. So instead of going for it we get a 30 yard punt( WTF does this guy do in practice all day?) with a huge return.

Siri waited until the biggest game of his career to turn into a chicken and go against what the Eagles have done all season. It cost the eagles.

Siri let the team down as much as the defense did. 

Game Over.jpg

On 2/13/2023 at 3:52 AM, Aerolithe_Lion said:

Wasn’t that inside our own 30? That would have been stupid as hell to go for it

It actually wouldn't have been all that stupid. I think the difference was a 1 point game at the time. Worst case it would have put the Eagles behind by 8 (one possession with 2pt conversion). I think they probably should have stayed aggressive the entire game. There were times earlier in the 1st half where I was thinking no way they go for it and they did. Got conservative in the 2nd half with poor time management and the defense wasn't stopping anyone. Can't let the defense get back on the field.