Ray Didinger on Jalen Hurts' brilliance: Eagles 'certainly have' a championship QB

time2rock

Ray Didinger on Jalen Hurts' brilliance: Eagles 'certainly have' a championship QB

image.png.f346eb7922996ae0400bd1935d52ac98.png

Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Jalen Hurts wasn't granted the opportunity to hoist the coveted Lombardi Trophy on Sunday in Arizona. His team was on the losing end of Super Bowl history, as the Kansas City Chiefs rallied to a thrilling 38-35 victory in the desert, cementing their status as the NFL's latest dynasty. But no fans or analysts can blame Hurts for Philadelphia's shortcomings once the game reached crunchtime. He certainly did his part.

In what was arguably the greatest game of his young career, Hurts performed at a historic level. Not only did he complete 27 of 38 passes for 304 yards and one touchdown, but he also rushed for 70 yards with three scores, becoming the first quarterback ever to score three times on the ground in a Super Bowl. A costly first-half fumble -- which led to a Kansas City touchdown -- will be on Hurts' permanent record, but the second-year starter elevated his game. And longtime Eagles analyst Ray Didinger was beyond impressed by his efforts.

"I definitely think you've found the guy. And I know it was a bitter pill last night because he did everything he could and more to win that game," Didinger told WIP's morning show on Monday. "And I'm sure he's living with that turnover -- the scoop and score that gave the Chiefs a touchdown. There's probably part of him that says, 'I contributed to losing that game.' No, what you contributed to was giving your team every chance to win the game...

"Three rushing touchdowns. Passes for a touchdown... I mean, that's one of the greatest performances I've seen by an Eagles quarterback over the years. When you think about the fact he's just 24 and the way he's improving year to year, future is very bright with him... It's hard to get [to the Super Bowl] again. But on the other side, I think they certainly have a championship quarterback, and that gives you a big leg up in doing it."

Hurts, who received just one first-place vote for NFL MVP honors this season, orchestrated an 11-play, 75-yard scoring drive to begin Super Bowl 57, capping it off with a 1-yard touchdown run. At the start of the second quarter, with the score tied at 7-7, Hurts connected with stud receiver A.J. Brown for a 45-yard touchdown pass in the bottom left corner of the end zone. His third and final rushing score came late in the fourth quarter, and he also converted a crucial two-point try that knotted the game at 35-35.

After the game, Eagles head coach Nick Sirianni offered rather high praise to Hurts, telling reporters that he was "in complete control" through the air and on the ground. Hurts also resembled an unquestioned leader with reporters, as he owned up to mistakes and stated that the loss will serve as motivation. In 15 regular season games, Hurts threw for a career-high 3,701 yards with 22 touchdowns, six interceptions, and 13 rushing scores on 165 attempts.

https://www.audacy.com/national/sports/ray-didinger-eagles-certainly-have-a-championship-qb

No doubt about it he's the future. Howie has his work cut out to give Hurts a team to go and contend but Hurts is the future. He gives this team a great chance to go and contend every year. 

• Like 1

We'll have to see.  It's hard to get to the big dance.  It's harder to win it. The stars were aligned for the Eagles with their coaching staff in tact, Hurts' rookie contract, favorable schedule and lack of injuries.  With the coaching departures and Hurts' contract on deck for the offseason, for sure 2023 looks to be a step back.  But there is a lot of young talent on this team, and a high pick in this draft with an extra second next year.  Overall, future looks good.

I just hope that Hurts and the offensive scheme continue to evolve.  Hurts' legs are a weapon and he uses them a lot, but can't continue to overuse it because he will inevitably get injured (again). The offense needs to evolve to where we have better passing concepts.

59 minutes ago, EaglesAddict said:

I just hope that Hurts and the offensive scheme continue to evolve.  Hurts' legs are a weapon and he uses them a lot, but can't continue to overuse it because he will inevitably get injured (again). The offense needs to evolve to where we have better passing concepts.

Would love to see an upgraded RB corp too so as to be able to filter the running game more through them (to avoid overusing Hurts in that capacity, as you eluded to).  

• Like 2