Pre-Combine Mock

Slade

First off thank you Eagles for an amazing run that ended with an unfortunate defensive second half collapse in the Super Bowl. So close. The future of this team is extremely bright from top to bottom they've got their collective sh.. together. This off-season Howie more than ever has to find a way to keep the team competitive with a lot of free agents set to be, we shall all see how it shakes out. The best thing coming out of 2022 and post-season is that we have a talented franchise QB in Hurts that is a true team leader, his future is extremely bright as is the Eagles.

Retirement:

1. Jason Kelce OC - The legend hangs up the cleats after a long and glorious career, Post June 1st cut designation. 1.5 million cap savings

Cuts:

1. Brandon Graham Edge - Eagles use post June 1st cut designation. 1.5 million cap savings.

Re-Signings: 9+/- million in cap space

1. Jalen Hurts QB 5 years 248 million with 4/5 years of it guaranteed along with a signing bonus of over 35 million, 5 million 2023 cap hit.

2. Chauncy Gardner-Johnson FS - 5 years 70 million 8 million 2023 cap hit.

3. Darius Slay CB - 2 year extension 24 million which frees up 13 million 2023 cap savings

4. Lane Johnson RT - Restructures his deal yet again freeing up 10 million for 2023.

5. Brandon Graham DE - After cutting him agrees to come back for home town discount to finish his career. 1 year 5 million.

6. Lindel Joseph DT - 1 year 3 million.

7. Josh Pascal WR - 2 years 4 million.

Free Agency: Small contracts that fill needed depth but doesn't effect 2024 comp picks.

1. Nasir Adderley FS - Depth is a must and it's in Nasir bestt interest since he'll get a true shot to win the starter spot. 1 year 3 million

2. Samaje Perine RB - I think Howie saw enough of a finesse style of running Sanders brought and remembers what power backs looked behind an elite line just a few years ago.1 year 2.5 million

Draft: Eagles own (#10 & #30)

Trade! Seattle went defense with their first pick but a QB is slipping and the Seahawks offer up #20, #37, #151 and a 2024 4th for #10

1.(#20) O'Cyrus Torrence OG - Howie is rebuilding the lines and losing two starters pushes this need higher especially after paying Hurts. O'cyrus dominated at the senior bowl, he is an absolutely ridiculous guard prospect coming in 6'5 347 lbs. and a wingspan of 84" he is a monster. He's special in the run game opening up massive lanes for the runner to bounce through, defenders are just tossed around like nothing as he dominates them. Even not as strong in pass protection he's never given up a sack even after playing over 3000 snaps, he keeps his QB clean! Shinning at the senior bowl almost guarantees he's caught Howie's eye. 

Trade! Chicago will have plenty of picks when they trade out of #1 to Indy and have a target within reach. They offer #54, #64, #105 for #30

2.(#37) BJ Ojulari Edge - Finally some attention to the defense, I get it! BJ is an explosive threat off the edge having dominated in generating pressure on the QB year over year, he forces OC to shift protection to account for him. Said to have an exceptionally high football IQ commanding the respect of all those around him. He'll be the next team leader that the team currently lacks long term and with Graham taking him under his wing the sky is the limit. His pursuit and closing speed is outstanding with exceptional range with way above average back pedal and coverage skills. Over his career he's shown amazing production generating overall pressure 50 times, hurrying QB's 28 times, 13 QB hits, and 9 sacks just in 2022!

2.(#54) Kayshon Boutte WR - It's clear as day that receivers are Brown, Smith and.......Watkins who is a 4/5 option, the offense needs a slot receiver. Kayshon is probably the most athletically gifted receiver IMO in the draft, good size 6'0 205 lbs with very good speed. A QB will fall in love with precise route running, toughness in traffic, and his RAC ability. He's a savvy natural pass catcher with reliable hands and focus, he knows how to stack his routes. He is a big play threat in open space with the ability take the top off a defense if allowed to get by a defender. His ability to generate she will give defenses nightmares in who to cover. 

2.(#62) Eli Ricks CB - Slay isn't getting any younger and a secondary overall needs to be addressed. Eli is a confident corner who displays very good instincts and quickness he mirrors well showing top notch cover skills. At 6'2 190 lbs he could add some more to his frame, he does play bigger than he is with a strong punch to throw off receivers. Solid in zone, man, and press to along with good speed and recovery ability. His ball skills are top notch able to track the ball very effectively Eli will generate turnovers.

3.(#64) Gervon Dextor DT - The depth of the interior d-line is always going to be a focus for the Eagles and this year it certainly is a need. Gervon would add another mountain of a man to the  d-line while providing someone who can play inside in a 4-3 or outside in a 3-4 looks. Howie looks for big athletic freaks to plug inside (Davis, Williams) and it certainly would fit the characteristic that he displays. A former 5-star and heavily recruited prospect he's a strong pass rusher who explodes off the line showing impressive burst and pursuit. Extremely strong with a solid anchor and powerful hands his upside is tremendous.

3.(#94) Blake Breeland OT - The o-line was without Johnson was clearly a liability on the right and Driscoll is a solid guard but clearly not a tackle. Blake is someone who has experience and versatility to play at either tackles spots giving the o-line depth a needed boost. Stronger in pass protection than run blocking he none the less display natural leverage, hand placement with an outstanding punch and solid strength. Johnson has 1-2 years left and it make sense to roll the dice here to see if the can get lucky again and get a stud starter and worst a long term option at swing.

4.(#105) Nick Herbig LB - The linebackers core is quite thin having lost Edwards and White and is certainly a need. Nick has the coverage skills and speed to close pursuit lanes quickly, showing impressive acceleration while displaying an excellent understanding of angles. His pass rush is nothing to take lightly either he is force coming down on the QB generating 11 sacks last year, a heavy hitter he has knack of generating fumbles.

Trade! Eagles package #151, Quez Watkins and a 2024 5th to the Patriots for #116. Trading Quez frees up 2.5 million.

4.(#116) DeWayne McBride RB - A power back that can be counted on in short yardage and goal line situations but has enough speed to break off significant chucks is a massive need. DeWayne is a violent runner requiring often multiple tacklers to bring down he's excellent at finishing runs. Even though they signed Perine I see the need to have two power back options that can grind down a defense which the offense sorely missed last season.

7.(#220) Stetson Bennett QB - Kid oozes leadership and a team first mentality a perfect back-up to Hurts.

7.(#249) Michael Turk P - After watching the punting game and field position constantly let the team down it's time to draft an upgrade and competition.

Depth Chart:

QB - Hurts, Bennett, Book

RB - Gainwell, McBride, Perine

TE - Goedert, Calcaterra, Stoll

WR - Brown, Smith, Boutte, Pascal, Covey

LT - Mailata, Breeland

LG - Dickerson, Opeta

OC - Jurgens, Dickerson

RG - Torrence, Driscoll

RT - Johnson, Breeland

DE - Sweat, Ojulari, Graham, Barnett, Robinson

DT - Davis, Williams, Dextor, Joseph, Tuipulotu

WLB - Herbig, Johnson

ILB - Dean, Bradley

SLB - Reddick, Ellis

CB - Slay, Ricks, McPhearson, Jobe

Nickel - Maddox, Scott

FS - Gardner-Johnson, Adderley

SS - Blakenship, Wallace

P - Turk

K - Elliott

KR/PR - Covey

Overview:

Offense:

Everything starts up front and it will be no shock that it will be addressed early by Howie. The o-line will take a massive step back with the experience lost from the departure of Kelce, Seumalo, and Dillard. However in this scenario I fully trust in Stoutland turning Jurgens,Torrence, and Breeland into solid replacements. Having 4/5 of the line with starters under the age of 25 with a strong swing tackle/guard options signed for years is huge! Running back will become a more reliable between the tackles bruising attack that in an RPO or traditional running concept will be more of a threat for defenses to respect. The added benefit having bigger backs is that they generally are better at protecting the QB while passing IMO. Receivers get a massive upgrade by getting a reliable vertical threat from the slot position giving Hurts the deep threat play-maker they hoped Watkins would be consistently. Tight ends stay the same albeit a lot more experience and healthy. Now the QB, I believe Jalen will do all it takes to continue to improve his game and will, his drive is unique and his command of the offense is just a treat watch his future seems limitless. With the additions I put forward the offense would be a juggernaut and damn near impossible to beat with so many weapons.

Defense:

Just with the offense everything starts up front, and it too will be addressed early, bank on it. Bringing back the charismatic leader Graham will help bridge the gap for newbies Ojulari, and Dextor showing them the Eagles way better than anyone. The edge rush should be upgraded with a talent Ojulari who teamed up with Sweat will give the DC personnel that can rush from multiple formations. The middle of the defense will be filled with bunch of unknowns outside of Reddick who should still be a stud regardless, but it will be time to see how Dean steps up, and if White's replacement can be an upgrade in Herbig. The secondary will take a big step back losing Bradberry, but will still be solid with Slay and Gardner-Johnson providing veteran leadership. McPhearson IMO can be a solid CB2, but an infusion of young talent is needed and in this scenario Ricks is the other long term option for CB1. Not to be fooled the defense regardless with be at least an unknown and more than likely a liability. This off-season I see Howie filling some needed holes to at least compete, but next year will be the year to finish the rebuild since the offense should be set already long term.

2023 Prediction: 11-6 and NFCE Champions, 2nd seed behind the 49ers.

The Eagles will have a dominate offense having the young talent that nobody in the NFC can challenge. Hurts like last year will have the weapons to continue his progression, with an upgrade of the skill positions I see him winning the MVP even facing a tougher schedule and a weaker defense. They will be true contenders again, but going into year three of the five year rebuild this team will have a step back due to the loss of player talent, coordinators and coaches.

2024 Draft Capital 1 (own), 2 (Saints),2 (own), 3 (own), 3 (Hargraves comp), 4 (Seahawks), 4 (own), 4, 4, 4 (Bradberry, Seumalo and Edwards comps), 5 (Vikings), 6 (own) = 12 picks which IMO will be used to acquire studs for the defense setting the team up for a dynasty type run.

• Like 1

Very realist approach. Could really see something along these lines happening.

Goog job, man! 👊🏻

• Like 1

On 3/1/2023 at 9:54 AM, Slade said:

1.(#20) O'Cyrus Torrence OG - Howie is rebuilding the lines and losing two starters pushes this need higher especially after paying Hurts. O'cyrus dominated at the senior bowl, he is an absolutely ridiculous guard prospect coming in 6'5 347 lbs. and a wingspan of 84" he is a monster. He's special in the run game opening up massive lanes for the runner to bounce through, defenders just tossed around like nothing he dominates. Even not as strong in pass protection he's never given up a sack even after playing over 3000 snaps, he keeps his QB clean! Shinning at the senior bowl almost guarantees he's caught Howie's eye. 

I think corner and DT are bigger priorities but I'm ok with a decade of Dickerson and Torrnence at guard

Trade! Chicago will have plenty of picks when they trade out of #1 to Indy and have a target within reach. They offer #54, #64, #105 for #30

2.(#37) BJ Ojulari Edge - Finally some attention to the defense, I get it! BJ is an explosive threat off the edge having dominated in generating pressure on the QB year over year, he makes them account for him. Said to have an exceptionally high football IQ commanding the respect of all those around him. He'll be the next team leader the team currently lacks long term and with Graham taking him under his wing the sky is the limit. His pursuit and closing speed is outstanding with exceptional range with way above average back pedal and coverage skills. Over his career he's shown amazing production generating overall pressure 50 times, hurrying QB's 28 times, 13 QB hits, and 9 sacks just in 2022!

Don't like Ojulari - If we go edge here I'd rather Nolan Smith, Still no corner or DT.

2.(#54) Kayshon Boutte WR - It's clear as day that receivers are Brown, Smith and.......Watkins who is a 4/5 option, the offense needs a slot receiver. Kayshon is probably the most athletically gifted receiver IMO in the draft, good size 6'0 205 lbs with very good speed. A QB will fall in love with precise route running, toughness in traffic, and his RAC ability. He's a savvy natural pass catcher with reliable hands and focus, he knows how to stack his routes. He is a big play threat in open space with the ability take the top off a defense if allowed to get by a defender, he will give defenses nightmares in who to cover. 

C'mon man. We have holes all over the defense. And Perine isn't going to be our primary RB. My pick at 54 is Zach Charbonnet. 

2.(#62) Eli Ricks CB - Slay isn't getting any younger and a secondary overall needs to be addressed. Eli is a confident corner who displays very good instincts and quickness he mirrors well showing top notch cover skills. At 6'2 190 lbs he could add some more to his frame, he does play bigger than he is with a strong punch to throw off receivers. Solid in zone, man, and press to along with good speed and recovery ability. His ball skills are top notch able to track the ball very effectively Eli will generate turnovers.

If he lasts than long I appoligize for my comments about te 1st two picks. I'd be delighted. 

3.(#64) Gervon Dextor DT - The depth of the interior d-line is always going to be a focus for the Eagles and this year it certainly is a need. Gervon would add another mountain of a man to the  d-line while providing someone who can play inside in a 4-3 or outside in a 3-4 looks. Howie looks for big athletic freaks to plug inside (Davis, Williams) and it certainly would fit the characteristic that he displays. A former 5-star and heavily recruited prospect he's a strong pass rusher who explodes off the line showing impressive burst and pursuit. Extremely strong with a solid anchor and powerful hands his upside is tremendous.

My favorite DT in this draft - don't think he'll be there, but it'd be a great pick. 

3.(#94) Blake Breeland OT - The o-line was without Johnson was clearly a liability on the right and Driscoll is a solid guard but clearly not a tackle. Blake is someone who has experience and versatility to play at either tackles spots giving the o-line depth a needed boost. Stronger in pass protection than run blocking he none the less display natural leverage, hand placement with an outstanding punch and solid strength. Johnson has 1-2 years left and it make sense to roll the dice here to see if the can get lucky again and get a stud starter and worst a long term option at swing.

Nice pick - we need to replace Dillard 

4.(#105) Nick Herbig LB - The linebackers core is quite thin having lost Edwards and White and is certainly a need. Nick has the coverage skills and speed to close pursuit lanes quickly, showing impressive acceleration while displaying an excellent understanding of angles. His pass rush is nothing to take lightly either he is force coming down on the QB generating 11 sacks last year, a heavy hitter he has knack of generating fumbles.

Everybody likes Nate's brother - I like DEMarvin Overshown

Trade! Eagles package #151, Quez Watkins and a 2024 5th to the Patriots for #116. Trading Quez frees up 2.5 million.

4.(#116) DeWayne McBride RB - A power back that can be counted on in short yardage and goal line situations but has enough speed to break off significant chucks is a massive need. DeWayne is a violent runner requiring often multiple tacklers to bring down he's excellent at finishing runs. Even though they signed Perine I see the need to have two power back options that can grind down a defense which the offense sorely missed last season.

OK if you don' tthink Sermon fills that role. 

7.(#220) Stetson Bennett QB - Kid oozes leadership and a team first mentality a perfect back-up to Hurts.

7.(#249) Michael Turk P - After watching the punting game and field position constantly let the team down it's time to draft an upgrade and competition.

Both of these picks in the 7th are excellent

Slade - I still think we're missing a starting safety, but you're right Blankenship played well enough and we can't get everything.

Thanks again. 

1 hour ago, Rob331 said:

Slade - I still think we're missing a starting safety, but you're right Blankenship played well enough and we can't get everything.

Thanks again. 

I would've loved to added more to the secondary, but each time I came to a pick i couldn't justify the safety available over the best player also available. 2024 is going to be the draft IMO they go super heavy for specific players either through the draft or using picks for players to create a young talented and truly dominate defense.

Not to keep going on with this off-season scenario, but man I keep imagining the Eagles running game with a beefed up line and two power backs that will have so much space their YPC will be insane!

looking at your qb’s i don’t see anyone that looks like hurts and i think that’s someone we need because we taylor the offense so much to his strengths i think it hurts us if he were to get injured.

also kvon wallace is still on the team so it’s not good enough haha