Eagles Mock Draft (03-18-2023)

Ray75

We’re just one week into FA but things have become much clearer. For all who thought the Eagles might take a corner at #10 - and I’m hoping for it for two decades now - not happening!

It’ll be an OT, a DT or an edge rusher once again.

Therefore I’ve narrowed their big board down to the following prospects;

- Broderick Jones;

- Paris Johnson Jr.;

- Bryan Bresee;

- Jalen Carter (if he slips); 

- Myles Murphy;

- Tyree Wilson;

- Nolan Smith (reach at #10 IMO but someone will fall in love).

While I do think Howie will make a couple of more moves (S and LB), I’m not so sure we’ll see CJGJ back in midnight green.

For some reason I get the feeling CJ might have burned some bridges and getting him back on a cheaper deal might cause some distraction during the season. Wouldn’t surprise me if Eagles go in another direction and sign someone like Adrian Amos or Jalen Mills instead or trade for Kevin Byard.

Byard has a base salary for 2023 as well as 2024 of 13,6 million, cap hits of respectively 19 and 17 million. If Howie trades for him he definitely needs to give him a new deal to lower those cap hits and I don’t know if they can do that financially.

Draft;

1) Bryan Bresee, DT, Clemson;

1) O'Cyrus Torrence, OG, Florida;

Trade Alert!

Eagles trade pick #62 to the New Orleans Saints for pick #71 and #115.

3) Sydney Brown, S, Illinois;

3) Jayden Reed, WR, Michigan State;

4) Dorian Thompson-Robinson, QB, UCLA;

7) Deuce Vaughn, RB, Kansas State;

7) Thomas Incoom, Edge, Central Michigan.

My thought process;

Can’t address everything in one off-season / one draft, we’ll likely sign a veteran safety and linebacker to short term deals as bandages. Next year we’ll have a boatload of draft picks and fill other holes properly like edge, RT etc.

Bresee is a no brainer cause of position and value, ideally you find a dance partner and trade back a couple of slots and still find him on the board (@Rob331 agreed?!), they need a long term answer at RG cause they drafted Jurgens to be Kelce’s heir and not to play RG, they need a longterm answer at safety (doesn’t have to be ready day one but has the tools to develop into a quality starter down the road), Reed will challenge Watkins for the No.3 spot and is a really good punt and kick returner, Thompson-Robinson would be the ideal backup QB once Mariota is outta town, Vaugh is an extremely small RB but very good in the passing and return game and Incoom a nice depth piece who could turn into a solid role player.

• Like 2

On 3/18/2023 at 3:03 AM, Ray75 said:

My thought process;

Can’t address everything in one off-season / one draft, we’ll likely sign a veteran safety and linebacker to short term deals as bandages. Next year we’ll have a boatload of draft picks and fill other holes properly like edge, RT etc.

Bresee is a no brainer cause of position and value, ideally you find a dance partner and trade back a couple of slots and still find him on the board (@Rob331 agreed?!), they need a long term answer at RG cause they drafted Jurgens to be Kelce’s heir and not to play RG, they need a longterm answer at safety (doesn’t have to be ready day one but has the tools to develop into a quality starter down the road), Reed will challenge Watkins for the No.3 spot and is a really good punt and kick returner, Thompson-Robinson would be the ideal backup QB once Mariota is outta town, Vaugh is an extremely small RB but very good in the passing and return game and Incoom a nice depth piece who could turn into a solid role player.

Completely agree. Don't think they'll make that pick at 10 - probably between 14 and 17 and get an extra 2nd round pick. I think we can fill more holes than you think.  

Breese for sure mid 1st - then S Battle  - then LB Sanders - then Avila (who I think is just as good as Torrence) then with your 71st ick - Charbonnet if he's there your WR.

I like a couple of your picks, namely Breese, Brown, and Incocm. Don't like Vaughn - no more 5'6" midgets. 

I think they like Book enough to go 1 more year with him so I'd be surprised with DTR. 

Nicely done my friend. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Rob331 said:

Completely agree. Don't think they'll make that pick at 10 - probably between 14 and 17 and get an extra 2nd round pick. I think we can fill more holes than you think.  

Breese for sure mid 1st - then S Battle  - then LB Sanders - then Avila (who I think is just as good as Torrence) then with your 71st ick - Charbonnet if he's there your WR.

I like a couple of your picks, namely Breese, Brown, and Incocm. Don't like Vaughn - no more 5'6" midgets. 

I think they like Book enough to go 1 more year with him so I'd be surprised with DTR. 

Nicely done my friend. 

for his small size i think Vaughn fits a lot of things we do… good receiver and very good in Rpo… here are some of his junior highlights 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Cheesteakitis said:

for his small size i think Vaughn fits a lot of things we do… good receiver and very good in Rpo… here are some of his junior highlights 

Exactly! Thx man! 👊🏻

17 hours ago, Cheesteakitis said:

Just not my cup of tea

I’m thinking this might be the year the eagles finally go outside of their norm and snag someone either at safety or maybe even rb in the first round. 

do you envision either of our first round players starting immediately? A guard would either have to sit or make jerguns sit for another year. That being said I liked the players you took and can see you’re building for the future. 

I agree.  Just like financial ads - previous results may not be indicativ e of future returns

I really like this one. But honestly think Bresee is not worth #10. Or did I miss a trade down?

Bresee is a no brainer cause of position and value, ideally you find a dance partner and trade back a couple of slots and still find him on the boar

EDIT: Ah, got it. Yeah makes more sense now.

On 3/23/2023 at 12:35 PM, ibleedgreen1990 said:

I’m thinking this might be the year the eagles finally go outside of their norm and snag someone either at safety or maybe even rb in the first round. 

I think we feel that every year. Howie has his system and process and I don’t think he’s going to change that. He’s going to go trenches with our first pick.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I think we feel that every year. Howie has his system and process and I don’t think he’s going to change that. He’s going to go trenches with our first pick.

We will have to see. Jeffery Lurie just said in his press conference that offense is more important than defense. Especially with two first round picks. 

On 3/29/2023 at 1:07 PM, ibleedgreen1990 said:

We will have to see. Jeffery Lurie just said in his press conference that offense is more important than defense. Especially with two first round picks. 

Interesting. I guess maybe they will they have plugged gaps on defense? And so feel they are there or thereabouts.

I am of the belief that if you have a top 10 pick, you don't trade out of it. I think Howie is more likely to trade back with # 30, or like you did with the 2nd

Love the Vaughn pick in the 7th. 

• Like 1

On 3/20/2023 at 8:02 PM, Cheesteakitis said:

We haven't had a RB this electric since Brian Westbrook. This kid looks like a handful. Good balance. Loose hips. Hits the hole at full speed, uses his blockers, is threat to take it to the house with excellent speed and he can catch the ball. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Interesting. I guess maybe they will they have plugged gaps on defense? And so feel they are there or thereabouts.

That’s what makes it so interesting this year.. can’t wait to see what happens!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ibleedgreen1990 said:

That’s what makes it so interesting this year.. can’t wait to see what happens!

Ultimately this team is going to go as far as the offense takes them. If Hurts is as good (and hey with his work rate and gaining experience he could be better) then this team is going to be really good. Against a team like KC you need your defense to make a play here or there but you need to win the shoot out.

I'm hoping Ricky Williams, RB, Texas drops to the 10 slot.

For their late first rounder, I am thinking WR. One of the following would be a steal:

• Jalen Reagor, TCU
  • Jordan Matthews, Vandy
  • Freddie Mitchell, UCLA
  • Reggie Brown, Georgia
  • JJ Arcega-Whiteside, stanford
  • Riley Cooper, Florida
  • Something Something Hightower, Boise State

You're welcome for the insightful post.