4 Philadelphia Eagles who feel like very interesting NFL trade collateral

UK_EaglesFan89

4 Philadelphia Eagles who feel like very interesting NFL trade collateral

If the Philadelphia Eagles want to bolster their roster, they have options.

None of us will ever be given the opportunity of playing the general manager role outside of our Fantasy leagues or the Franchise or MUT (Madden Ultimate Team) modes on EA Sports’ Madden game, but that won’t stop any Philadelphia Eagles fan from channeling their inner-Howie Roseman and throwing out a few redrafts or potential trade packages that Philly’s G.M. and vice president would never pay attention to.

Call it a crazy theory, but good old Howie is a little better at his job than we give him credit for being. That’s why he sits in the chair. That doesn’t mean we can’t overstate our interest in possible trades for Yannick Ngakoue or get pumped over the Jamal Adams rumors. Maybe we’re all so fired up because we can play the role of imaginary G.M. without having to worry about anyone firing us.

The 2020 regular season approaches (at least we hope so), and even though Philly addressed many of their needs in free agency and the most recent draft, it still feels like something is missing from what could be a playoff team. Could a preseason trade or another roster shakeup be on the way? If that’s something in this proud franchise’s thought process, there are guys on the roster who would serve as decent trade capital. Here are four of the more obvious choices. Be sure to forward this over to Mr. Roseman if you have his contact info.

https://insidetheiggles.com/2020/06/23/4-philadelphia-eagles-interesting-nfl-trade/2/

The list can be found within the link. 

I wouldn't trade Ertz. Just let him play out his deal.

Schwartz hates Jones, so trading him makes sense. I would also trade Rasul. But I doubt anyone is interested in them.

I would keep Gerry. If he has a good year he can get paid a modest amount. If he doesn't, he can be brought back as a cheap backup.

Barnett is interesting. I don't know how much more he gives the team than Avery or Sweat. He's due to make $10 million next year, and he is probably worth that on the open market based on what pass rushers make. But if the team restructures Graham to lower his cap hit to $8 million (which seems doable), then they could pair him with Sweat and Avery and one out of a group of Miller, Hall, Ostman and Toohill. That would save them a ton of money, probably net them a sweet comp pick and save $20 million or so on the cap, minus what it would cost to re-sign Hall and Ostman, which will be peanuts.

I know stats aren't everything, but here are numbers for Avery, Sweat and Barnett (Avery is from when he was with the Browns.)

Player 1, snaps, 70 percent, tackles, 30, sacks, 6.5, TFL, 10, QB hits, 22

Player 2, snaps, 34 percent, tackles, 21, sacks 4, TFL, 7, QB hits, 10

Player 3, snaps 60 percent, tackles 39, sacks 4.5, TFL 5, QB hits 14

I just don't see where you should play one of those guys $10 million next year when the other two cost $2 million combined. 

15 hours ago, jsb235 said:

I wouldn't trade Ertz. Just let him play out his deal.

But if the plan is to move on from him then why not get something for him in return? Why not get draft picks or a player for player trade whilst he still has value?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

But if the plan is to move on from him then why not get something for him in return? Why not get draft picks or a player for player trade whilst he still has value?

His contract provides the team with great value for money over the next two years, so I wouldn't mess with a good thing. Plus, it expires when he turns 32, so they may be able to re-sign him for less money than people think. He is also a pretty vital part of the offense right now, so I would keep him until we see how some of the younger guys pan out. I don't see the team getting anything in return that matches the value he will provide over the next two years, especially when there are a lot of question marks on offense.

But if JJ turns things around, and Reagor and Hightower (or Watkins, or someone else) turn out to be studs, or a top TE falls to them in the draft next year, the conversation is different. But right now I wouldn't move him for any player or any draft pick short of a ridiculous offer.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, jsb235 said:

His contract provides the team with great value for money over the next two years, so I wouldn't mess with a good thing. Plus, it expires when he turns 32, so they may be able to re-sign him for less money than people think. He is also a pretty vital part of the offense right now, so I would keep him until we see how some of the younger guys pan out. I don't see the team getting anything in return that matches the value he will provide over the next two years, especially when there are a lot of question marks on offense.

But if JJ turns things around, and Reagor and Hightower (or Watkins, or someone else) turn out to be studs, or a top TE falls to them in the draft next year, the conversation is different. But right now I wouldn't move him for any player or any draft pick short of a ridiculous offer.

Ertz just turned down a contract being the highest paid TE in the league. You really think hes going to take less money just because hes 2 years older??? LOL. Not going to happen. I also wouldnt call 12.4 and 12.7 "great value" For him its a decent number but not a great value.

I agree he is a big part of this offense and with the question marks at WR its a risk moving on from him. I do however feel Goedert could be better then Ertz and there is no way you can resign both Goedert and Ertz. Not just because of the money but because Goedert will want to play for a team that he will be the starter. If we keep Ertz, Goedert will be gone. i can bet the team he would go to is Dallas and then we are in even more deeper crap. 

I would trade Ertz but only for the right deal. if it was Ertz and a 2nd for Adams, Id do it in a heart beat. Sadly TEs trade value is not high, never has been. But a 2nd round value for him which is high for a TE is really good value for him. (2) seconds for Adams is great value which is what that would be in the proposed deal i put above. But will the Jets do that is the big question. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DeathByEagle said:

Ertz just turned down a contract being the highest paid TE in the league. You really think hes going to take less money just because hes 2 years older??? LOL. Not going to happen. I also wouldnt call 12.4 and 12.7 "great value" For him its a decent number but not a great value.

I agree he is a big part of this offense and with the question marks at WR its a risk moving on from him. I do however feel Goedert could be better then Ertz and there is no way you can resign both Goedert and Ertz. Not just because of the money but because Goedert will want to play for a team that he will be the starter. If we keep Ertz, Goedert will be gone. i can bet the team he would go to is Dallas and then we are in even more deeper crap. 

I would trade Ertz but only for the right deal. if it was Ertz and a 2nd for Adams, Id do it in a heart beat. Sadly TEs trade value is not high, never has been. But a 2nd round value for him which is high for a TE is really good value for him. (2) seconds for Adams is great value which is what that would be in the proposed deal i put above. But will the Jets do that is the big question. 

We aren't trading for Adams because we can't afford him. He's made it clear he wants a new contract, and we don't have the money to pay him. Plus, our safety play hasn't been the issue with our defense. Why wouldn't we just spend that money on a CB to solve the problem we actually have? 

As far as Ertz's value, he has shown he can carry the offense regardless of who the team puts out at WR or who it plays at QB. At $12 million a year for the next two seasons, he is an absolute steal.

As far as Goedert, he got 87 targets last year, which is a decent amount of looks. If he goes to Dallas, are they going to throw him 87 passes?

Obviously we will face a decision after the 2021 season. But why would we make a decision on Ertz now, and get rid of the most reliable part of our offense, all while pushing us more into trouble with the cap? And it should be noted that trading for a safety and then handing him the monster deal that he wants at a time when there is so much uncertainty about how the cap is going to look in the next two or three years isn't going to happen anyway. 

3 hours ago, jsb235 said:

His contract provides the team with great value for money over the next two years, so I wouldn't mess with a good thing. Plus, it expires when he turns 32, so they may be able to re-sign him for less money than people think. He is also a pretty vital part of the offense right now, so I would keep him until we see how some of the younger guys pan out.

That assumes that he will play under his current contract. Now don't get me wrong I don't think he's the kind of character to hold out but he could...

10 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

That assumes that he will play under his current contract. Now don't get me wrong I don't think he's the kind of character to hold out but he could...

He already turned down an extension. It's tough to demand a team renegotiate your contract when you already told them you don't want to renegotiate your contract.

13 hours ago, DeathByEagle said:

There are so few player for player trades but Ertz and a pick for Adams is interesting.  Something that both teams might find attractive.  Jets have made a mess of it and would probably move him for close to fair value.  Ertz and a 2 might do it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, weko said:

There are so few player for player trades but Ertz and a pick for Adams is interesting.  Something that both teams might find attractive.  Jets have made a mess of it and would probably move him for close to fair value.  Ertz and a 2 might do it.

Ertz and a third might get it done. I mean what do we think Ertz value is in a straight trade for picks?

6 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Ertz and a third might get it done. I mean what do we think Ertz value is in a straight trade for picks?

At best a 2nd rounder. 

History shows TEs don;t get value in trades. Best trade value for a TE ever was a late first from Hawks to the Saints for Jimmy Graham. Jimmy was younger then Ertz at the time. Tony G went for a 2nd rounder and still played at a HOF level. Most of the time you see TEs go for mid round picks, even the good ones. So with how good Ertz has been, a SB under his belt Id say good value is a 2nd rounder.

• Like 1