Final rule proposals do not include prohibition on pushing ballcarrier or

Procus

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/03/23/final-rule-proposals-do-not-include-prohibition-on-pushing-ballcarrier/

Final rule proposals do not include prohibition on pushing ballcarrier

Posted by Mike Florio on March 23, 2023, 8:04 PM EDT

The rugby maul play will likely remain in place for 2023, and perhaps beyond.

The full set of proposed rule changes for next week’s annual meetings — from teams and from the Competition Committee — do not include a rule prohibiting teammates from pushing the ball carrier. Unless the owners do it on their own (and at least 24 in all agree with the move), the play will continue to fair game.

Although the rule against pushing the ballcarrier was scrapped in 2006, teams did not begin using it strategically on a widespread basis until this season. The Eagles used it on numerous occasions in Super Bowl LVII.

New Broncos coach Sean Payton has vowed to use the tactic aggressively, if the rule remains on the books.

It’s an effective tool, if the quarterback is willing and able to be squished between offensive linemen and the players who push him forward. Teams that don’t have a quarterback who can survive such an assignment can use another player for the formation, whether a Taysom Hill-type quarterback or a player who usually plays a different position.

But while it works, it’s not much to look at. For a league that is so obsessed with appearances, it’s strange that it would welcome a play that is less artistry than it is tug of war.

• Like 1

Good.  People can keep crying if they can't defend it when the Eagles do it.  They can try and do it as well themselves.

And the Eagles should definitely install more of the fakes off that look and toss to a RB for another easy 1st down.

• Like 4

I still can't believe that genuine actual football coaches think it's a couple of receivers half heartedly pushing a QB's butt that makes the difference to our sneak and not that the QB in question was a state level powerlifter that can squat 600lbs.

• Like 6

If you ever want to be right on an issue just find Peter King's cold take and go with the other side.

He has all the info and no ability to process any of it.

17 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

It'll be funny if Payton fails at replicating its success. 

The Eagles have the best O-line and the best QB for the play. Others can try it but the success will vary.

• Like 1

I had always thought that this was a rule all along and was surprised a few years ago when I saw ball carriers being assisted and no flags. Did it used to be a rule?

There were idiots in sports media- including Mike Florio and Peter King, saying "how it’s a major safety concern." This country is so full of snowflakes... its sickening. Man the F up- it's football.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, NOTW said:

Good.  People can keep crying if they can't defend it when the Eagles do it.  They can try and do it as well themselves.

And the Eagles should definitely install more of the fakes off that look and toss to a RB for another easy 1st down.

Fake Sneak Toss with a screaming fast RB should definitely be our thing. Just because it's not eliminated this season doesn't mean it won't be next season, and if we're running Fake Sneak Toss, we literally won't miss a beat.

Also. To be fair, a lot of people were saying the league will think it's a safety concern. That said, still pretty lame of them. lol

Bottom line the NFL wants offense and points. The rules lean towards the offense. So this helps give an offense the chance to stay on the field. Why stop that?

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Talonblood said:

There were idiots in sports media- including Mike Florio and Peter King, saying "how it’s a major safety concern." This country is so full of snowflakes... its sickening. Man the F up- it's football.

No the rules say (I believe) you can't pull players in, but you can push them.  OK whatever lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Can’t wait to see Payton run it every play and run himself out the league. 😂

I don’t think it was Peter King railing against it as much as it has been Mike Florio and Chris Simms driving that train. Florio is an arrogant ass that thinks too highly of himself. He has injected himself into the Rodgers and Lamar debates as well.

I think the rule for how this is currently implemented may be here to stay. It is a risk teams take when they are using it on 4th and short to prolong drives and score more points. The Eagles were highly aggressive in playcalling last season and benefitted from it. Will be interesting to see how other teams use it. Mahomes can’t run the play because of his knee. Not all QB’s can run a proper sneak. It really comes down to having the right personnel and right coaching. I can’t recall Russell Wilson’s success on sneaks, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they don’t have a 92% success rate with it like the Eagles just about had.

• Like 1

On 3/24/2023 at 5:23 PM, VaBeach_Eagle said:

I had always thought that this was a rule all along and was surprised a few years ago when I saw ball carriers being assisted and no flags. Did it used to be a rule?

Yes.  I believe it was removed as a rule in 2005

On 3/24/2023 at 8:01 PM, Talonblood said:

I think this "safety concern" is a fallacy. In fact, I would argue that it is safer than a normal QB sneak. While the QB is being squished between two forces, he is getting support on his back, which he does not usually get. I have seen Daniel Jones get bent in half on a QB sneak. I watched Patrick Mahomes dislocate his knee on a standard QB sneak because he had to go really low.

If they ban the tush push, they would then need to ban the QB sneak completely.

• Like 1

On 3/24/2023 at 6:36 AM, Cochis_Calhoun said:

I still can't believe that genuine actual football coaches think it's a couple of receivers half heartedly pushing a QB's butt that makes the difference to our sneak and not that the QB in question was a state level powerlifter that can squat 600lbs.

600 lbs a couple years ago. I’m guessing he can squat a little more now. 

15 hours ago, Dweedlebug said:

Yes.  I believe it was removed as a rule in 2005

Yeah, I thought it was. If I knew that they changed it, I completely forgot. 

If the league were to seriously consider this, they would have to enforce the same rule on any play where a pile forms. It's that simple. There's no way to say, you can't push a pile on sneaks, but if a ball carrier (on a run or pass) starts dragging a pile, then it's okay. For the people that think football has to be "aesthetically pleasing," then they need to stop showing coaches picking their noses, players launching snot rockets, and fat guys with their shirts untucked... not to mention Jerry Jones and that hideous blue star. 

My wife and I practiced the Tush Push play this past weekend. I had more fun (and success) than she did!!

Hey nowwww!!! :groovy:

• Haha 1

On 3/25/2023 at 4:14 AM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Bottom line the NFL wants offense and points. The rules lean towards the offense. So this helps give an offense the chance to stay on the field. Why stop that?

I wish they would ditch the overly-complicated "is it a catch?" formula.  

It is really stupid and slows the game down.  Doubly stupid, considering the general favoritism for the offense in the rulebook.

• Like 1

On 3/24/2023 at 4:33 PM, Mike030270 said:

It'll be funny if Payton fails at replicating its success. 

Well until they get a good center, they won't have as much success. The Broncos are building up the OL with power OL in Ben Powers and Mike McGlinchey, but center is still a problem. Cushenberry sucks and they don't have anyone else worthy at the moment. Also, Russ should start doing some squats in the weight room and less high knees.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, LacesOut said:

My wife and I practiced the Tush Push play this past weekend. I had more fun (and success) than she did!!

Hey nowwww!!! :groovy:

Leads to a score every time!!