Hall of Fame Game Cancelled- HOF Enshrinement postponed

Captain F

And so it begins. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29363190/cowboys-steelers-hall-fall-game-called-enshrinement-ceremony-postponed

The Pro Football Hall of Fame will cancel the NFL's preseason-opening game next month between the Dallas Cowboys and Pittsburgh Steelers and postpone its annual enshrinement ceremony because of the coronavirus pandemic, league sources told ESPN.

The Hall of Fame Game, originally scheduled for Aug. 6 in Canton, Ohio, marks the first event on the NFL calendar canceled because of the pandemic. The league was able to conduct free agency, albeit in a different way, as well as a virtual NFL Draft. The Cowboys and Steelers are now expected to play in the 2021 Hall of Fame Game, sources said, and the enshrinement ceremony -- originally slated for Aug. 8 -- also is expected to be held next year.

The game's cancellation is anticipated to affect when the Cowboys and Steelers report to training camp. The Cowboys and Steelers were preparing to be the first two teams to report to camp in about a month but now are likely to report with the rest of the league's teams.

The majority of teams are scheduled to report to training camp July 28, but there has been no definitive word from the NFL about whether that will happen. This is a topic that is expected to be addressed in Thursday's conference call with NFL owners, sources said.

Every 17-year-old in America has been reporting to their job for three months. None of this makes sense.

I always looked at the HOF game as a bad thing for the teams that have to play in them, so of course it’s Dallas and Pittsburgh that luck out

• Like 1

Season's gonna be cancelled (or significantly delayed/curtailed). You heard it here first!

3 hours ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

Season's gonna be cancelled (or significantly delayed/curtailed). You heard it here first!

Unfortunately,  I agree.  I wouldn't be surprised by a 8-10 game season that starts in November with no fans and limited locations. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 6/26/2020 at 9:45 PM, What The F said:

Unfortunately,  I agree.  I wouldn't be surprised by a 8-10 game season that starts in November with no fans and limited locations. 

I feel like if baseball starts up then football will go ahead in September. The problem is that I'm not totally convinced baseball will actually get going, at least not in these states that are getting hammered by Covid right now (Florida, Texas, Arizona, etc). Florida seems to set a record for new positive cases every day now. 

1 hour ago, Dawkins 20 said:

I feel like if baseball starts up then football will go ahead in September. The problem is that I'm not totally convinced baseball will actually get going, at least not in these states that are getting hammered by Covid right now (Florida, Texas, Arizona, etc). Florida seems to set a record for new positive cases every day now. 

Agreed. Even if they start, how long until they stop due to infections?  1 team gets shut down, like the rangers just did, and it's game over.  

10 hours ago, What The F said:

Agreed. Even if they start, how long until they stop due to infections?  1 team gets shut down, like the rangers just did, and it's game over.  

That's my thoughts as well. Can't go through a season if you have to hold 3 or 4 players out for 2 weeks at a time or quarintine the whole team for 2 weeks. 

On 6/27/2020 at 11:50 PM, What The F said:

NFL seems to be dragging its feet here.  They should have cancelled the entire PS by now, it's simply absurd that they would jeopordize the players with that meaningles BS.  They should also be knee deep in preparation for an 8-10 game, regional season that plays every other week.  Two weeks between games should give them the proper testing in between.

Even with all that expect forfeits to happen.

It sucks that Harold has to wait an additional year to take his rightful place in the Hall, but I'd rather it be postponed until next year rather than risk anyone's health. Plus, I wasn't going to be able to go this year. Maybe I'll be able to, next year. 

On 6/27/2020 at 11:50 PM, What The F said:

Even if they start, how long until they stop due to infections? 

1 team gets shut down, like the rangers just did, and it's game over.  

Here's how this thing looks to me: American football is a true  CONTACT  sport.  By the very definition of the play-by-play you have huge men breathing heavily, slobbering, burping & farting all over themselves in close contact. That environment is the  PERFECT  place for transmission of the coronavirus.  Any comparison to the various other pro sports is specious & irrelevant b/c they are  LIMITED  contact sports. 

Unless some sort of preventative apparatus or medical intervention comes to the fore very quickly I don't see how they can proceed with any sort of season safely. Many baseball players are opting not to play this year and you have to figure many upper tier NFL players will do the same which further dilutes the 'product' on the field.

Someone, anyone, feel free to say why you think any of that is wrong and convince me otherwise.

Football is the last pro sport I really care about . . . and it ain't looking good from where I sit.