Jeffrey Simmons (Titans DT) — SIGNED LONG-TERM DEAL

philafan4o8

We all know how much the Eagles loved Simmons in the draft the year he came out. He is a young stud. I think it may cost them the 30th pick and maybe a second or third next year. The big thing that needs to be discussed is contract. The eagles can afford the last year of his deal this year but if they extend him that almost guarantees that the Eagles will not be able to bring back Kelce, Cox and Graham the following year. They would likely have to make him the highest paid DT in nfl. I think the eagles can and should do it. Howie can make it happen

• Like 1

Go get him Howie! And if you're wondering how the Eagles could possibly extend this guy and they didn't Hargrave... he's only 25. Howie could work his magic with a multi year contract and not be concerned about him damn near 35 at the end :D

29 minutes ago, philafan4o8 said:

We all know how much the Eagles loved Simmons in the draft the year he came out. He is a young stud. I think it may cost them the 30th pick and maybe a second or third next year. The big thing that needs to be discussed is contract. The eagles can afford the last year of his deal this year but if they extend him that almost guarantees that the Eagles will not be able to bring back Kelce, Cox and Graham the following year. They would likely have to make him the highest paid DT in nfl. I think the eagles can and should do it. Howie can make it happen

They definitely have the draft capital to do it. This would be major. Plus he's better against the run than Hargrave. This is a no brainer. Only problem is the Titans may be apprehensive to work with Howie given what happened with AJ.

36 minutes ago, judunno said:

Go get him Howie! And if you're wondering how the Eagles could possibly extend this guy and they didn't Hargrave... he's only 25. Howie could work his magic with a multi year contract and not be concerned about him damn near 35 at the end :D

Completely agree. These guys do not become available often. I dont think the AJ deal will affect this if they were to talk. Howie gave them a great deal for AJ but AJ just outperformed that trade package lol. The 30th pick might be too low of a 1st rounder so now that I am thinking of it. It may cost the 30th and a 2nd and 3rd from next year. I think the Eagles would do that in a heartbeat anyways. Given we already have 2 2nds and likely 2 3rds next year

2 minutes ago, philafan4o8 said:

Completely agree. These guys do not become available often. I dont think the AJ deal will affect this if they were to talk. Howie gave them a great deal for AJ but AJ just outperformed that trade package lol. The 30th pick might be too low of a 1st rounder so now that I am thinking of it. It may cost the 30th and a 2nd and 3rd from next year. I think the Eagles would do that in a heartbeat anyways. Given we already have 2 2nds and likely 2 3rds next year

Bring in byard too. Philadelphia Crimson Titans

36 minutes ago, philafan4o8 said:

Yeah definitely worth it I just don't know if you'd have to give up that much draft capital on an expiring contract. I would think 30 and a 2nd (NOs) should do it unless there's a run up with bids.

• Like 1

Ya now that I am thinking about it. There is no way the Eagles can make this happen. Hurts cap number is going to be high. I think it is more likely the Eagles trade up for Jalen Carter than trading for Simmons for a one year rental

1 hour ago, philafan4o8 said:

Ya now that I am thinking about it. There is no way the Eagles can make this happen. Hurts cap number is going to be high. I think it is more likely the Eagles trade up for Jalen Carter than trading for Simmons for a one year rental

Simmons would be immediately extended whereever he goes. Given his beautiful youthful age Howie could lock him up if he wanted with a long term contract that's cap friendly.

9 minutes ago, judunno said:

Simmons would be immediately extended whereever he goes. Given his beautiful youthful age Howie could lock him up if he wanted with a long term contract that's cap friendly.

The contract can't be cap friendly forever. There's only so many high priced guys you can pay long term

9 minutes ago, pgcd3 said:

The contract can't be cap friendly forever. There's only so many high priced guys you can pay long term

Howie can do anything!!! :D Friendly was a bad word... let's say.. .fit under the cap lol

14 minutes ago, judunno said:

Howie can do anything!!! :D Friendly was a bad word... let's say.. .fit under the cap lol

If you listened to Lurie and even Howie it's all about the offense and outscoring people. The spending will mostly be on offense

24 minutes ago, judunno said:

Cap friendly isn’t on everyone mind. Plus we have key guys that will need to be extended within the next two years mainly Devonta Smith and Landon Dickerson. I think it makes more sense for the eagles to trade up and get Jalen Carter than trade for Simmons just because of contract with Jalen Hurts contract looming

3 minutes ago, philafan4o8 said:

Cap friendly isn’t on everyone mind. Plus we have key guys that will need to be extended within the next two years mainly Devonta Smith and Landon Dickerson. I think it makes more sense for the eagles to trade up and get Jalen Carter than trade for Simmons just because of contract with Jalen Hurts contract looming

Fair

3 minutes ago, pgcd3 said:

If you listened to Lurie and even Howie it's all about the offense and outscoring people. The spending will mostly be on offense

My interpretation was that it all starts with a franchise QB. Nice chunk goes there. They already have franchise receivers and a TE. They still believe in allocating resources to the trenches on both sides of the ball. The way I see it Barnett, BG, and Cox likely will be gone within the next 2 years. They were always a huge part of the defensive front investment. There's room for a new piece in the trenches IMO. Lurie gives Howie the freedom to operate the budget like the US government... kick the can... enjoy the raised limits... spend spend spend.. kick the can again wash rinse repeat.

1 minute ago, judunno said:

My interpretation was that it all starts with a franchise QB. Nice chunk goes there. They already have franchise receivers and a TE. They still believe in allocating resources to the trenches on both sides of the ball. The way I see it Barnett, BG, and Cox likely will be gone within the next 2 years. They were always a huge part of the defensive front investment. There's room for a new piece in the trenches IMO. Lurie gives Howie the freedom to operate the budget like the US government... kick the can... enjoy the raised limits... spend spend spend.. kick the can again wash rinse repeat.

We'll see. Honestly I have no clue why TEN would trade a young star.  The odds of replacing him with even 2 1's are low

4 minutes ago, pgcd3 said:

We'll see. Honestly I have no clue why TEN would trade a young star.  The odds of replacing him with even 2 1's are low

Looks like they may be starting a total rebuild in the image of their new GM. They traded AJ, Henry on the block. Odd organization. 

1 minute ago, judunno said:

Looks like they may be starting a total rebuild in the image of their new GM. They traded AJ, Henry on the block. Odd organization. 

I get trading a 29yr old maybe 28 but younger than that is crazy.  You don't get that long to rebuild in the nfl

Just now, pgcd3 said:

I get trading a 29yr old maybe 28 but younger than that is crazy.  You don't get that long to rebuild in the nfl

Definitely weird. Guess they figured they don't have a young franchise QB yet so what's the point? 

He would immediately become our best player on D. Worth the pick and the contract he will require..

On 3/28/2023 at 8:24 PM, philafan4o8 said:

I'm against it because of what you said... extending those guys and possibly more

2 hours ago, Godfather said:

I'm against it because of what you said... extending those guys and possibly more

Eagles don't have trouble extending young guys at positions that they value. Unless your name is CJGJ and have ridiculous demands.

2 hours ago, judunno said:

Eagles don't have trouble extending young guys at positions that they value. Unless your name is CJGJ and have ridiculous demands.

They will have trouble if they trade for Simmons and have to pay him over $20 per year. Not including the 50-60M that Hurts is going to start making after this next season. I am sure Howie can figure a way to make it happen but it limits options moving forward.

1 hour ago, philafan4o8 said:

They will have trouble if they trade for Simmons and have to pay him over $20 per year. Not including the 50-60M that Hurts is going to start making after this next season. I am sure Howie can figure a way to make it happen but it limits options moving forward.

Can always count on inflation and the cap going up :) I'm never worried about cap when Howie makes moves. He always finds a way. If there's a move to be made he'll do it.