Question for those wanting to draft a corner with 10.

ManchesterEagle

Serious question if we take a corner, with 10 (or certainly top 15) how do you see them getting playing time? We are pretty much tied to three pretty highly paid CBs for the next 2 years. When we took Sheppard and Brown, at least the nickel spot was open for them to get playing time.

I know you shouldn't draft for the now, but with a top 10 pick and all the corners who have had success as rookies, it seems a bit of a waste to me, while we still have Kelce, Johnson, Graham etc as well as Hurts with a low cap hit.

• Like 1

If Eagles get big leads like they did last year, they can pull one of or both Slay/Bradberry so they can keep fresh legs. Also if one of them goes down, I’ll feel way more comfortable with having a highly drafted rookie there. We had incredible luck when it came to health this year, it’s likely the same doesn’t happen again.

Also, RB/LB/S are all our main positions of need but we know Howie won’t address any of those positions in the first round. Every other position is a depth issue. DL is likely to be only position where we can see some impact from a rookie, even then I doubt it’ll be much. So no matter what, whoever we take at 10/30 will likely be a backup for the next year or two. I think we as a fan base just need to accept that, and I think it’s a good problem to have

CB, much like WR, is paper thin outside of the starters.  McPherson, Jobe, Josiah Scott, etc. are all major question marks.  Greedy Williams is a nice pickup, but he's a one-year deal lottery ticket.  Maddox is solid but he's strictly a slot player.

I don't necessarily need our first-rounder to have an immediate impact this year.  I need to have a viable backup plan if/when Slay or Bradberry start dropping off.  Especially if one of them has to become a casualty of Hurts' upcoming mega deal. 

I'd be happy with DL at 10.  I could handle OL there too if Stoutland picks out a particular player he likes.  But I think CB is the move right now. 

I just want the best player, a top blue chip prospect. They normally don't pick this high. A player that will be a 10 year key player.

If that's a corner, they basically have no depth right now so he'd see time & take over when Slay is gone. 

They haven't drafted a CB in the 1st in over 20 years. Their 1st round picks are usually linemen or a WR. So might not be likely anyway.

• Like 3

I wanted a CB because I didn't think we would keep both starters. I realize there's a need for a future QB, but not a pressing need for that guy right now. So I'd actually like to see us attempt to trade #30 in exchange for a #1 next year. I'd rather load up on picks next year as we'll be closer to needing that youth movement. 

People have argued that a team wouldn't make that trade, but I believe a team that likes a player that's there at 30 and would also like that 5th year option, if they believe they will be a playoff team next season, would indeed make the trade. It's just unusual for the team trading the pick not to get immediate compensation. 

Because of how free agency played out, I would just rather have two #1s next year instead of this year.

I think it comes down to drafting BPA and not for need. We don’t need to draft a CB but if we think one of them is by far the best on the board then take them. Slay and Bradberry are now in their 30s and Maddox has struggled to stay healthy. If you mix in that we need help at Safety maybe they could draft a CB and play them in the slot year 1?

Your question is flawed, I'm not sure why you think the guy they pick at 10 couldn't displace Maddox, Maddox is a perfectly ordinary player, he's in the gameday squad not because he's an elite talent, but because he's a better slot guy than the other back up corners, you draft a corner at 10, I expect him to be better than Avonte Maddox AND he can learn the ropes at NFL outside corner from 2 experienced old heads who are well above average starters.

That said I don't expect Corner at 10.

7 hours ago, brkmsn said:

I wanted a CB because I didn't think we would keep both starters. I realize there's a need for a future QB, but not a pressing need for that guy right now. So I'd actually like to see us attempt to trade #30 in exchange for a #1 next year. I'd rather load up on picks next year as we'll be closer to needing that youth movement. 

People have argued that a team wouldn't make that trade, but I believe a team that likes a player that's there at 30 and would also like that 5th year option, if they believe they will be a playoff team next season, would indeed make the trade. It's just unusual for the team trading the pick not to get immediate compensation. 

Because of how free agency played out, I would just rather have two #1s next year instead of this year.

:huh:

If the Eagles think Witherspoon or Gonzalez are better than anyone else at 10, it's a good pick. 

If any CB gets injured, the rookie is a great insurance in a premium position. If everyone's healthy (hopefully), it is still worth the pick. Slay is 32 and will be gone in 2 years. The rookie gets to learn from two really good players and is ready to make an impact when needed. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, hukdonfoniks said:

CB, much like WR, is paper thin outside of the starters.  McPherson, Jobe, Josiah Scott, etc. are all major question marks.  Greedy Williams is a nice pickup, but he's a one-year deal lottery ticket.  Maddox is solid but he's strictly a slot player.

I don't necessarily need our first-rounder to have an immediate impact this year.  I need to have a viable backup plan if/when Slay or Bradberry start dropping off.  Especially if one of them has to become a casualty of Hurts' upcoming mega deal. 

I'd be happy with DL at 10.  I could handle OL there too if Stoutland picks out a particular player he likes.  But I think CB is the move right now. 

16 hours ago, NOTW said:

I just want the best player, a top blue chip prospect. They normally don't pick this high. A player that will be a 10 year key player.

If that's a corner, they basically have no depth right now so he'd see time & take over when Slay is gone. 

They haven't drafted a CB in the 1st in over 20 years. Their 1st round picks are usually linemen or a WR. So might not be likely anyway.

I am in favour of drafting a corner, just not with 10. Williams really helps with the depth and I just want to see someone who could have an impact on this team next year. I think a lineman makes more sense.

But yeah, if a corner is the bluechip/BPA I guess I'm okay with it.

I remember when three of our back four were Sheldon Brown, Lito Sheppard and Brian Dawkins. If we can get stacked like that again, I will be very, very happy. I don't think we have had a corner like Brown since, what a monster. I loved that guy.

16 hours ago, brkmsn said:

I wanted a CB because I didn't think we would keep both starters. I realize there's a need for a future CB, but not a pressing need for that guy right now. So I'd actually like to see us attempt to trade #30 in exchange for a #1 next year. I'd rather load up on picks next year as we'll be closer to needing that youth movement. 

4 hours ago, beto_eagles said:

If the Eagles think Witherspoon or Gonzalez are better than anyone else at 10, it's a good pick. 

If any CB gets injured, the rookie is a great insurance in a premium position. If everyone's healthy (hopefully), it is still worth the pick. Slay is 32 and will be gone in 2 years. The rookie gets to learn from two really good players and is ready to make an impact when needed. 

He’d see the field for sure. And there is a sad chance he sees it a lot, corners get hurt all the time.

We got room for a good corner still.

• Like 1

In 2002 when Lito, Sheldon and Michael Lewis were all drafted Troy Vincent was 32, Bobby Taylor was 29 and both still playing at a high level. I think that worked out ok. If corner is BPA enough that they don't want to trade back then I'd be ok with it. 

23 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Your question is flawed, I'm not sure why you think the guy they pick at 10 couldn't displace Maddox, Maddox is a perfectly ordinary player, he's in the gameday squad not because he's an elite talent, but because he's a better slot guy than the other back up corners, you draft a corner at 10, I expect him to be better than Avonte Maddox AND he can learn the ropes at NFL outside corner from 2 experienced old heads who are well above average starters.

That said I don't expect Corner at 10.

Well the question isn’t flawed. It was simply how you see them getting playing time. You’ve answered with a fair point of view.

Personally I think Maddox is better than people give him credit for and it would be a shame if we had a relatively high paid good player just riding the bench.

I’m coming round to the idea of a corner at 10, but like you I still don’t expect it. A lineman is far more likely.

2 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Personally I think Maddox is better than people give him credit for and it would be a shame if we had a relatively high paid good player just riding the bench.

I think the issue with Maddox is health and not ability. He’s good player and I think most recognise that.

• Like 1

I think Howie will determine who he drafts when the draft plays out and how the eagles value certain players.....not to mention what kind of offers he gets for that 10th pick.

He's going to be wheeling and dealing.

BUT, if he takes a top CB early, he'll get some playing time giving Slay/Bradberry a breather, when they have a minor injury or when they have a big lead.  There will be opportunities for a kid to get some experience behind Slay or Bradberry.

There are quite a few positions where a player drafted (at 10 or otherwise) would not be penciled in as immediate starters (CB is one, OT is another, edge rusher yet another, etc.).  The positions where a player would likely be an immediate "starter" would probably include RB, LB, S, and DT ... 3 of those are not positions we typically value enough to spend a high (top 10) pick on.  Edge rusher and DT would almost certainly be part of a rotation and get a decent amount of play time.  CB could get time playing in dime packages and spelling starters when they get nicked up but have to figure the number of snaps they see would be considerably less than any DL.  And OT, unless you start him at OG for a couple of years is only seeing the field when Johnson or Mailata get injured.  My money is on DT or edge rusher being the pick.  

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, time2rock said:

There are quite a few positions where a player drafted (at 10 or otherwise) would not be penciled in as immediate starters (CB is one, OT is another, edge rusher yet another, etc.).  The positions where a player would likely be an immediate "starter" would probably include RB, LB, S, and DT ... 3 of those are not positions we typically value enough to spend a high (top 10) pick on.  Edge rusher and DT would almost certainly be part of a rotation and get a decent amount of play time.  CB could get time playing in dime packages and spelling starters when they get nicked up but have to figure the number of snaps they see would be considerably less than any DL.  And OT, unless you start him at OG for a couple of years is only seeing the field when Johnson or Mailata get injured.  My money is on DT or edge rusher being the pick.  

You're right about the potential for starting.  I think fans need to let go of the drafting for immediate need and being a day 1 starter.  Sometimes a 1st rounder starts right away (DaVonta Smith), sometimes they sit a year (Jordan Davis).  

What matters most is taking advantage of the opportunity to get the best players for long term, and especially picking high which thankfully is rare (only this year because of having the Saints pick). 2 or 3 years from now you want to have a top player at his position not just a guy who was able to start as a rookie and is a decent player.  

Some positions that fans like in this draft are DE and OT where they would be groomed to replace Graham or Johnson.  If they take DE, OT, CB, they will see playing time in rotation and provide instant quality depth for injury and gain experience to take over.  Heck, Graham could see his playing time reduce to keep him fresh and rotate pass rushers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

They need to take the BPA as long as it's not a QB. They're in a rare position where they have a top 10 pick and were in the SB.

I think when the Steelers had sustained success it was because they managed to nail their draft picks and a lot of it was through picking the best available rather than a position of immediate need. If you can get a stud CB which is a premium position you take it even if you don't need them right away. In years 2 and 3 it pays off when Slay/Bradberry are gone and you can slide someone in on a rookie contract with 3 years remaining.  

You then try and fill those immediate needs through FA and trades which is what Howie has been great at

On 4/17/2023 at 4:55 AM, time2rock said:

:huh:

lol. I thought the same thing when I read that 

Eagles literally bought themselves some time on the corner front. They likely grab a high ceiling guy that fits the system though just not in the 1st.

Really, what’s the difference between drafting a CB or drafting an OT with that first pick.  Either way the player won’t be starting at his projected position for 2 (maybe 3) years.  An OT could potentially play RG until then.  Or Jurgens can do so until Kelce retires (I’d argue that experience playing between Kelce and Johnson would serve him extremely well) in which case the player would serve primarily as depth during that time.  A CB could play in dime packages (or simply serve as depth as well).  

Don’t know what we’re going to do but maybe just drafting the most talented player (outside of a few obvious positions like QB) would be the smartest strategy.  

On 4/16/2023 at 3:46 PM, ManchesterEagle said:

Serious question if we take a corner, with 10 (or certainly top 15) how do you see them getting playing time?

There are several very good DBs to be had in rounds 2 or later such as Rejzohn Wright, Jakorian Bennett, DJ Turner, Starling Thomas, and others, just as long as they don't ignore the need altogether they'll be fine.  REJZOHN WRIGHT  REJZOHN WRIGHT CB  REJZOHN WRIGHT CB