EF0075 4/16/23 Mock

eaglesfan0075

With the draft approaching in 2 weeks and the Eagles making some moves in free agency, I created another mock and this time even included some trades this time.

TRADE: Raiders trade 38th overall pick and 100th overall pick to the Eagles for 30th overall pick - There is a lot of buzz surrounding Hendon Hooker still potentially going in the 1st round despite his ACL tear and being 25 years of age, and the Raiders move into the 1st round to pick up Hooker and be able to secure a 5th year option with a first round pick, leapfrogging other potentially interested teams in the early 2nd round. The Eagles get another pick in the top 100 for trading down. This is an even trade per the draft pick value chart: 30th pick (620 points) = 38th pick (520 points) + 100th pick (100 points).

TRADE: Eagles trade 38th overall pick to the Arizona Cardinals for S Budda Baker - Howie recognizes the need at safety with starters CJGJ and Marcus Epps leaving in free agency and coming away with Terrell Edmunds and Justin Evans in their place. While Reed Blankenship showed flashes as a rookie, it's safe to say that there is another starting position up for grabs alongside Edmunds. The Eagles track record of using 2nd round picks to draft safeties has not been great under Howie (Nate Allen in 2010, Jaiquawn Jarrett in 2011). Rather than drafting a safety here in a relatively weak safety class, the team acquires a 5 time Pro Bowler at the position who is still only 27 with 2 years left on his deal, under the assumption that they can negotiate a long-term extension.

Round 1 (10 via NO) - Myles Murphy DE Clemson - While there is a lot of buzz surrounding the Eagles taking Jalen Carter if he falls to 10, I think he goes off the board within the top 9 picks and someone else takes a chance on him. Murphy has the size and build to line up as a 4-3 DE in our scheme and be the eventual successor to Brandon Graham, who is likely playing his last season as an Eagle on a 1 year deal. 

Round 2 (62) - Joe Tippmann C Wisconsin - With Jason Kelce back for what is probably his final season with the Eagles, and the team likely sliding Cam Jurgens out to RG to replace Isaac Seumalo, who left in free agency, there is still a need for a long-term solution at center (or guard if Jurgens is moved back to center after Kelce retires). The Eagles reportedly had a private workout for Tippmann in Wisconsin, so it wouldn't be surprising if the team goes with another IOL in the 2nd round for the third straight year. Alternatively, the team could target a guard prospect if they feel strongly about Jurgens being the center of the future, as it looks like Landon Dickerson is locked in at LG.

Round 3 (94) - Jaquelin Roy DT LSU - After losing Javon Hargraves in free agency, and with Fletcher Cox back on a 1 year deal, potentially his last season as an Eagle, the team needs another starting DT to pair long-term with last year's 1st round pick Jordan Davis. The Eagles brought in Roy for an official visit, and while he has limited starting experience at LSU, he possesses upside as a pass rusher, with the hope that he can develop into a starter by year 2. The Eagles have had success with LSU defensive players in the past, and had a good run with former 3rd round pick Bennie Logan.

Round 3 (100 via LV comp) - Tyjae Spears RB Tulane - With Miles Sanders now with the Panthers, the Eagles now have a rotation of oft-injured Rashaad Penny, Kenny Gainwell, Boston Scott, and Trey Sermon in the backfield. Spears was extremely productive at Tulane his last season with 1581 rushing yards and 19 rushing TDs and did well at the Senior Bowl. The Eagles met with Spears at the Combine and have historically shown a tendency to draft players who did well at the Senior Bowl in the past. 

Round 7 (219) - Brodric Martin DT Western Kentucky - The Eagles run defense suffered after Jordan Davis missed time with injury as the team scrambled to sign Linval Joseph and Ndamukong Suh to fill the void. They can certainly benefit from adding another big bodied NT prospect to help the run defense in Martin, who comes in at 6'5 and 330 lbs.

Round 7 (248) - Dorian Thompson-Robinson QB UCLA - While backup QB is not a pressing need this season with Marcus Mariota joining the team on a 1 year deal, it's obvious that the team now favors QBs with dual threat ability to back up Jalen Hurts after how they unsuccessfully tried to use Gardner Minshew after Hurts missed time with injury. DTR had a total of 28 rushing touchdowns during his time at UCLA and possesses the upside to be a solid QB2 as a developmental prospect. As a rookie, he can learn the playbook as a QB3 and not have to worry about being rushed into action right away.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

With the draft approaching in 2 weeks and the Eagles making some moves in free agency, I created another mock and this time even included some trades this time.

TRADE: Raiders trade 38th overall pick and 100th overall pick to the Eagles for 30th overall pick - There is a lot of buzz surrounding Hendon Hooker still potentially going in the 1st round despite his ACL tear and being 25 years of age, and the Raiders move into the 1st round to pick up Hooker and be able to secure a 5th year option with a first round pick, leapfrogging other potentially interested teams in the early 2nd round. The Eagles get another pick in the top 100 for trading down. This is an even trade per the draft pick value chart: 30th pick (620 points) = 38th pick (520 points) + 100th pick (100 points).

TRADE: Eagles trade 38th overall pick to the Arizona Cardinals for S Budda Baker - Howie recognizes the need at safety with starters CJGJ and Marcus Epps leaving in free agency and coming away with Terrell Edmunds and Justin Evans in their place. While Reed Blankenship showed flashes as a rookie, it's safe to say that there is another starting position up for grabs alongside Edmunds. The Eagles track record of using 2nd round picks to draft safeties has not been great under Howie (Nate Allen in 2010, Jaiquawn Jarrett in 2011). Rather than drafting a safety here in a relatively weak safety class, the team acquires a 5 time Pro Bowler at the position who is still only 27 with 2 years left on his deal, under the assumption that they can negotiate a long-term extension.

Round 1 (10 via NO) - Myles Murphy DE Clemson - While there is a lot of buzz surrounding the Eagles taking Jalen Carter if he falls to 10, I think he goes off the board within the top 9 picks and someone else takes a chance on him. Murphy has the size and build to line up as a 4-3 DE in our scheme and be the eventual successor to Brandon Graham, who is likely playing his last season as an Eagle on a 1 year deal. 

Round 2 (62) - Joe Tippmann C Wisconsin - With Jason Kelce back for what is probably his final season with the Eagles, and the team likely sliding Cam Jurgens out to RG to replace Isaac Seumalo, who left in free agency, there is still a need for a long-term solution at center (or guard if Jurgens is moved back to center after Kelce retires). The Eagles reportedly had a private workout for Tippmann in Wisconsin, so it wouldn't be surprising if the team goes with another IOL in the 2nd round for the third straight year. Alternatively, the team could target a guard prospect if they feel strongly about Jurgens being the center of the future, as it looks like Landon Dickerson is locked in at LG.

Round 3 (94) - Jaquelin Roy DT LSU - After losing Javon Hargraves in free agency, and with Fletcher Cox back on a 1 year deal, potentially his last season as an Eagle, the team needs another starting DT to pair long-term with last year's 1st round pick Jordan Davis. The Eagles brought in Roy for an official visit, and while he has limited starting experience at LSU, he possesses upside as a pass rusher, with the hope that he can develop into a starter by year 2. The Eagles have had success with LSU defensive players in the past, and had a good run with former 3rd round pick Bennie Logan.

Round 3 (100 via LV comp) - Tyjae Spears RB Tulane - With Miles Sanders now with the Panthers, the Eagles now have a rotation of oft-injured Rashaad Penny, Kenny Gainwell, Boston Scott, and Trey Sermon in the backfield. Spears was extremely productive at Tulane his last season with 1581 rushing yards and 19 rushing TDs and did well at the Senior Bowl. The Eagles met with Spears at the Combine and have historically shown a tendency to draft players who did well at the Senior Bowl in the past. 

Round 7 (219) - Brodric Martin DT Western Kentucky - The Eagles run defense suffered after Jordan Davis missed time with injury as the team scrambled to sign Linval Joseph and Ndamukong Suh to fill the void. They can certainly benefit from adding another big bodied NT prospect to help the run defense in Martin, who comes in at 6'5 and 330 lbs.

Round 7 (248) - Dorian Thompson-Robinson QB UCLA - While backup QB is not a pressing need this season with Marcus Mariota joining the team on a 1 year deal, it's obvious that the team now favors QBs with dual threat ability to back up Jalen Hurts after how they unsuccessfully tried to use Gardner Minshew after Hurts missed time with injury. DTR had a total of 28 rushing touchdowns during his time at UCLA and possesses the upside to be a solid QB2 as a developmental prospect. As a rookie, he can learn the playbook as a QB3 and not have to worry about being rushed into action right away.

the raiders trade has had a fair amount of steam here on the board for a while i find it interesting that in a recent mock nfl networks’ Chad Reuter has the eagles ——

The Eagles surrender the 30th overall pick in exchange for No. 38 (Round 2), No. 109 (Round 4), and a 2024 third-rounder. 

in order for the raiders to draft Hooker.  i think that’s a very good trade for us if it happens.

I was high on Murphy at one point now i don’t want to touch him with a ten foot pole i don’t know why i just think he is gonna be a bust.

Baker again i’m just not a fan

the rest of the picks are solid

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Cheesteakitis said:

the raiders trade has had a fair amount of steam here on the board for a while i find it interesting that in a recent mock nfl networks’ Chad Reuter has the eagles ——

The Eagles surrender the 30th overall pick in exchange for No. 38 (Round 2), No. 109 (Round 4), and a 2024 third-rounder. 

in order for the raiders to draft Hooker.  i think that’s a very good trade for us if it happens.

I was high on Murphy at one point now i don’t want to touch him with a ten foot pole i don’t know why i just think he is gonna be a bust.

Baker again i’m just not a fan

the rest of the picks are solid

I was a bit conservative with the trade projections. What I have in the Raiders trade is equal value on the draft point value chart. Of course if the Eagles can squeeze a 2024 3rd rounder out of them on top, or any additional type of compensation, that would be great.

Murphy has kind of fallen down draft boards on some mocks since the Combine, which is interesting because he was consistently a top 10 prospect beforehand. Maybe it's that he didn't rack up a lot of sacks at Clemson? 

The two guys I've been seeing mocked to the Eagles at 10 now in place of Murphy the most are Lukas Van Ness and Nolan Smith. Van Ness is an interesting prospect since he wasn't even a full time starter at Iowa but now has early 1st round buzz. I see the upside with his athleticism, but I feel like with a top 10 pick you have to try to find that balance between upside and sure thing.

Nolan Smith went from someone we could have picked at 30 to now someone mocked to us at 10 post Combine. I like him as a prospect but he's more of a rush LB like Hasson Reddick than a DL in our defense, which is a bigger need than LB.

I personally think Budda Baker would be a great addition to our defense. What is your concern, is it the contract or how his skillset fits with our defense, or both?

15 hours ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

I was a bit conservative with the trade projections. What I have in the Raiders trade is equal value on the draft point value chart. Of course if the Eagles can squeeze a 2024 3rd rounder out of them on top, or any additional type of compensation, that would be great.

Murphy has kind of fallen down draft boards on some mocks since the Combine, which is interesting because he was consistently a top 10 prospect beforehand. Maybe it's that he didn't rack up a lot of sacks at Clemson? 

The two guys I've been seeing mocked to the Eagles at 10 now in place of Murphy the most are Lukas Van Ness and Nolan Smith. Van Ness is an interesting prospect since he wasn't even a full time starter at Iowa but now has early 1st round buzz. I see the upside with his athleticism, but I feel like with a top 10 pick you have to try to find that balance between upside and sure thing.

Nolan Smith went from someone we could have picked at 30 to now someone mocked to us at 10 post Combine. I like him as a prospect but he's more of a rush LB like Hasson Reddick than a DL in our defense, which is a bigger need than LB.

I personally think Budda Baker would be a great addition to our defense. What is your concern, is it the contract or how his skillset fits with our defense, or both?

With Murphy for some reason i just view him as a derek barnett, who really has failed to give us what we were hoping for. I would also say Barnett was probably viewed as a better prospect. Maybe it’s just the sour taste in my mouth. I like Van Ness upside more but like you said 10 just seems high to me.. i would be in a much better place at say 15 for him.

Baker i would say a lot of it is the contract he has 2 years left ( i guess we would likely have to give him an extension for cap reasons) wants big money form what i heard. i looked at his 2022 highlights in watching about half of this video i see a lot of tackles where he makes contact with the player but doesn’t even try and wrap them up or tackles with another player or two helping. i like his speed and his blitzing and toughness. I just can’t help but wonder does he have such good numbers because the cardinals defense sucks.

• Like 1

Thanks for the read. I like your thinking and appreciate being able to read about your logic and analyisis.

The trades were well played. It would be a Howie move to make the trade and leverage it into an all-pro. As an aside - I appreciate you using the trade value chart which is something many fold don't reference when proposing trades. 

I'd hope we'd wheel and deal a bit more to end up with more picks 

We're not as sympatico when it comes to the draft. 

Round 1 - If Carter is gone I'd hope we trade down. Maybe you figured there woudn't be a ance partner, but I'd hope Howie would go for it. I'm a Robinson fan if we can puill off a trade down. If no trade is in the offing I'd go for Bresee - DT is a bigger need than DE. 

Round 2 - I like the pick but if he's there Avila would be my preference.

Round 3 - I like Roy but as you can see I used your scenario and took Bresee already so it's a LB here. Sewell should be ther eat 62. Bythe way, I like Sanders and Campbell and would have taken one of them if the 1st round trade down had happened. 

Round 3B - I think safety is a greater need and I'd take eitherChris Smith form Georgia or Ji'Ayir Brown from Penn State

Round 7 -  we have DT depth but not a DT withthe quality needed in our 4 man rotation so I'd pass. Ideally we take the best punter - Turk or Robbins

Round 7B - I'd try to fill a hole. WR Moreno-Cooper would be my guy if he's there. Take a look at Jakadis Bonds from Hampton. He's long shot I like. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Rob331 said:

Thanks for the read. I like your thinking and appreciate being able to read about your logic and analyisis.

The trades were well played. It would be a Howie move to make the trade and leverage it into an all-pro. As an aside - I appreciate you using the trade value chart which is something many fold don't reference when proposing trades. 

I'd hope we'd wheel and deal a bit more to end up with more picks 

We're not as sympatico when it comes to the draft. 

Round 1 - If Carter is gone I'd hope we trade down. Maybe you figured there woudn't be a ance partner, but I'd hope Howie would go for it. I'm a Robinson fan if we can puill off a trade down. If no trade is in the offing I'd go for Bresee - DT is a bigger need than DE. 

Round 2 - I like the pick but if he's there Avila would be my preference.

Round 3 - I like Roy but as you can see I used your scenario and took Bresee already so it's a LB here. Sewell should be ther eat 62. Bythe way, I like Sanders and Campbell and would have taken one of them if the 1st round trade down had happened. 

Round 3B - I think safety is a greater need and I'd take eitherChris Smith form Georgia or Ji'Ayir Brown from Penn State

Round 7 -  we have DT depth but not a DT withthe quality needed in our 4 man rotation so I'd pass. Ideally we take the best punter - Turk or Robbins

Round 7B - I'd try to fill a hole. WR Moreno-Cooper would be my guy if he's there. Take a look at Jakadis Bonds from Hampton. He's long shot I like. 

Appreciate the feedback, Rob!

I think you certainly can go in a variety of directions with the draft picks. One area that I wished I could address reasonably early was LB, which I ended up missing out on in favor of going DE, IOL, and DT with the first three picks. 

Perhaps passing on DE and going DT, IOL, LB makes more strategic sense early on, I can get behind that. However I think Sanders and Campbell both go off the board in Round 2 instead of 3.

If we're trading for Baker I think we can hold off on drafting a safety for now so we can address another area on defense, but it's not unreasonable to draft one since Edmunds is only on a 1 year deal.