Busy Day 3

time2rock

Busy Day 3

Posted: April 29th, 2023 | Author: Tommy Lawlor | Filed under: Philadelphia Eagles | 72 Comments

The Eagles came into Day 3 with four picks, all late. Boy did that change. They traded a 2024 third rounder to get into the 4th round. Then Howie traded for veteran RB D’Andre Swift. He moved up and down in the late rounds.

Here is the final tally:

4th – CB Kelee Ringo – Georgia – 6-2, 207
6th – QB Tanner McKee – Stanford – 6-6, 231
7th – DT Moro Ojomo – Texas – 6-3, 292

via trade – RB D’Andre Swift – 5-9, 211

Added a 5th round pick in 2024

Lost

• 3rd rounder 2024
  • 4th rounder 2025

Good day.

I’ve already covered Ringo so I’ll focus on the others first.

6th – QB Tanner McKee – Stanford – 6-6, 231

Big, skilled pocket passer. Was a Top 50 recruit coming out of high school. Went to Stanford at the wrong time. Program was struggling and a poor supporting cast affected McKee’s level of play. Daniel Jeremiah pointed out that Anthony Richardson’s 2022 performance needed context because of the players around him. Same is true for McKee. He started 21 games for the Cardinal, throwing 28 TDs and 15 INTs. Those are hardly compelling numbers.

The Eagles saw good tools. McKee has a good arm. He moves around effectively, including scrambles. He isn’t going to run the ball by design. Stanford used a lot of RPOs so McKee will have a good feel for that part of the Eagles offense. Jalen Hurts is a freak on RPOs, but remember that Nick Foles ran them effectively in the Super Bowl year. You don’t have to be mobile. The option is handoff to the RB or throw the ball. The QB run element is a bonus. He can throw on the move and has okay athleticism.

I focus on accuracy and decision-making with QBs. McKee was above-average in both areas. He was willing to throw to covered receivers and tight spaces, but he didn’t do it recklessly. He was able to put the ball where it needed to be. He puts good touch on passes down the sideline, just like Hurts does. I like his toughness. Watch the Washington game and you’ll see him take a beating. He also made several impressive throws. He has pretty good pocket presence.

There is nothing special about McKee. I don’t see him as a future starter. He will have to adjust to the speed of the NFL game. There are times when he’s not going fast enough. It will help for him to have better blocking and weapons. I do agree with taking a QB late. If you hit on those guys, they have tremendous value. Just look at Brock Purdy. McKee will battle Ian Book for the third QB spot.

7th – DT Moro Ojomo – Texas – 6-3, 292

Quality DL, especially this late in the draft. Has 34.5 inch arms and knows how to use that length. Did 29 reps, which is very impressive for a player with long arms. That strength shows up on game tape. Ojomo isn’t explosive off the ball and doesn’t have great agility. Did run 5.04, which shows good speed.

Ojomo was a full-time starter in 2020 and 2021. Only started five times in 2022, but played in all 12 games. Had a career high 5.5 TFLs and 3 sacks. I need to research why the starts went down and the production went up.

The downside with Ojomo is that he doesn’t fit one role. He’s not the athlete you want for 3-tech. He’s not big enough for NT. I do think he can be a good fit as a 5-tech or 4i, which the Eagles need. Not all teams are looking for that.

You watch Ojomo use his long arms to keep the blocker off him as he moves down the LOS to help stop the run. That is something the Eagles need. Ojomo isn’t going to be a major playmaker or overly disruptive, but he can be a valuable role player on the DL. I love the fact they brought in another DT. Smart move. Ojomo will turn 22 this summer so he’s still a young player with upside.

D’Andre Swift is in the final year of his contract. The Lions drafted Jahmyr Gibbs and that made Swift expendable. The Eagles grabbed him up.

Swift is only 24 so he’s young and has plenty of tread left on the tire. He has 364 career carries. He averages 4.6 ypc and has 156 career catches. He can be a weapon out of the backfield.

Health has been a bit of an issue. Swift has played in 40 of 50 possible career games. While not ideal, that’s hardly a guy who’s injury prone. The Eagles know how talented he is. Swift was 15-144 on the ground and 3-31 as a receiver against them in the season opener last year. He’s got the kind of explosive running ability Nick Sirianni wants. Swift averaged 5.5 ypc last year. That’s outstanding.

The RB room now has Swift, Rashad Penny, Kenny Gainwell and Boston Scott. Poor Trey Sermon looks like he’ll be lost in the shuffle once again.

Back to Ringo.

4th – CB Kelee Ringo – Georgia – 6-2, 207

Ringo is 6-2, 207. He ran 4.36 at the Combine. Back in December, there was talk that he could be a Top 20 pick. He is physically gifted. Ringo was able to play at a high level at Georgia because of his size and speed. He also has good hands. He will hit and tackle. He plays hard.

The problem is projecting him to the NFL. Watch Ringo against Marvin Harrison and Cedric Tillman and you see some issues. Those guys are NFL talents. Ringo has sloppy technique and needs work. He’s not ready to start right away.

There is some thought he could move to safety. Ringo has the speed to cover the deep middle. He’s got the hands you want in a ballhawk. He will play the run. I’m guessing they focus on him at CB. The coaches, Slay and Bradberry will work with Ringo. He has the tools to be an above average starting corner. I had him rated in the 2nd round. Nick Sirianni and his staff are very good at details and coaching technique. They could turn Ringo into an outstanding player.

The Eagles should get a 3rd round comp pick next year for losing Javon Hargrave so trading their own 3rd doesn’t hurt as much. Ringo is just 20 years old so the Eagles are getting a young, talented corner they can work with for a year before expecting him to push for time. Great value. Great talent.

The Eagles didn’t add a LB or WR. They’ll need to land some UDFAs to help those areas.

I like this draft class. The Eagles brought in five guys who can be future starters. They got good athletes. A couple of the players need work, but no one is a major project.

Good weekend.

Still blows my mind that they landed Jalen Carter and Nolan Smith. It was a successful weekend by the end of Thursday night. Adding Steen, Brown, Ringo Swift and the late guys is very impressive. Great job by Howie and the scouts.

http://igglesblitz.com/2023/04/busy-day-3-2/

Ojomo may have a role at DE.  He moves really well for his size and is big for DE.  He should give us excellent run stopping there which is valuable in short yardage.  Especially since we only have 3 DEs and Graham and Sweat are small and Barnett isn't a lock to make the team.  Great 7th round pick who will make this roster.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, weko said:

Ojomo may have a role at DE.  He moves really well for his size and is big for DE.  He should give us excellent run stopping there which is valuable in short yardage.  Especially since we only have 3 DEs and Graham and Sweat are small and Barnett isn't a lock to make the team.  Great 7th round pick who will make this roster.

I think I agree with this.