Patrick Queen (OLB, Ravens) -- SIGNED WITH PITTSBURGH

Cheesteakitis

most think we could still use some help at LB queen even as a 1 year rental would be a solid addition.

1 hour ago, Cheesteakitis said:

most think we could still use some help at LB queen even as a 1 year rental would be a solid addition.

Fallen out of favor in Baltimore? 

54 minutes ago, NJWolverEagle11 said:

Fallen out of favor in Baltimore? 

They just declined his 5th year option today.. After giving Smith the contract they did the writing has been on the wall that Queen could be traded. They also just drafted another LB with the same skills in round 3. here is some information.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/05/01/ravens-decline-fifth-year-option-on-patrick-queen/amp/

I'm not sure he makes the team. That LB room is pretty loaded

We definitely need help at inside LB.  Maybe even two guys.  But I don't see the need to give up future resources.  There's a long time between now and the start of the season.  There will be options that don't require a trade.

• Like 2

Makes sense. Talented guy who’s perhaps not quite hit the heights they’d have hoped but would be better than our current options here. Wouldn’t take much to get him I don’t think and even as a one year rental it could work.

7 hours ago, ilikepargo said:

We definitely need help at inside LB.  Maybe even two guys.  But I don't see the need to give up future resources.  There's a long time between now and the start of the season.  There will be options that don't require a trade.

we have 4 5th round picks next year i think he would definitely be worth that… if he works out maybe you’re able to sign him and if not hopefully he nets you some type of comp pick in 2025 

2 hours ago, Cheesteakitis said:

we have 4 5th round picks next year i think he would definitely be worth that… if he works out maybe you’re able to sign him and if not hopefully he nets you some type of comp pick in 2025 

Last weekend we had no picks in the middle rounds.  So in order to draft players that Howie wanted, we had to look toward next year's draft.  That didn't hurt us too badly, because we had a couple of extra picks.  But we used several of those.  If we keep using next years picks now, then when next year's draft gets here, we won't have those picks available.  And we'll have to look toward the 2025 draft picks.  We'll end up on a merry-go-round of using the next year's picks.  And because, on draft day, a future pick is worth less than a current pick, we'll end up overpaying.  It's a bad pattern to get into.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ilikepargo said:

Last weekend we had no picks in the middle rounds.  So in order to draft players that Howie wanted, we had to look toward next year's draft.  That didn't hurt us too badly, because we had a couple of extra picks.  But we used several of those.  If we keep using next years picks now, then when next year's draft gets here, we won't have those picks available.  And we'll have to look toward the 2025 draft picks.  We'll end up on a merry-go-round of using the next year's picks.  And because, on draft day, a future pick is worth less than a current pick, we'll end up overpaying.  It's a bad pattern to get into.

They are all bets. This year they bet that Ringo  had better odds of success than who they could get with a 3 next year. Inevitably people will play what if when next years draft comes and if Ringo hasn’t done much than they’ll whine. 

That said with Ringo you got a 20yr old who you can develop a year in advance of next year. Trading for a guy on the last year of his deal is a different calculus though with potential comp picks if you lose him it still could make sense 

I think the Birds just wait it out and someone who can help the LB unit eventually breaks free and we sign on the cheap. The organization simply does not value the LB position enough to spend cap space on it. 

I don't see it. Eagles won't trade a high pick and won't pay a big salary.  And I don't see how a throw away late pick is enticing to the Ravens

On 5/3/2023 at 9:00 AM, Rey said:

I think the Birds just wait it out and someone who can help the LB unit eventually breaks free and we sign on the cheap. The organization simply does not value the LB position enough to spend cap space on it. 

the only cap space would be if they ended up signing him to a long term deal he only counts 2.2 million ha the cap this year.

On 5/3/2023 at 9:47 AM, pgcd3 said:

I don't see it. Eagles won't trade a high pick and won't pay a big salary.  And I don't see how a throw away late pick is enticing to the Ravens

i’ve seen a number of different trades suggested  one of which was a 2nd rounder for queen and a 4th…. don’t know if it’s my cup of tea but if howie makes it work i would say queen would be a nice piece to add

I have a feeling the Eagles may be looking to phase out your traditional LB roles except for maybe MLB. Maybe using tweener CB/S with emphasis on coverage instead of your traditional outside LB'ers. Pass rush and cover ... if you are at least average at defending the run it's a win. Hopefully our Offense builds leads where opposing teams have to give up on the run by half and play into our strengths. I think they would have more interest in Simmons from Arizona.

1 hour ago, Rey said:

I have a feeling the Eagles may be looking to phase out your traditional LB roles except for maybe MLB. Maybe using tweener CB/S with emphasis on coverage instead of your traditional outside LB'ers. Pass rush and cover ... if you are at least average at defending the run it's a win. Hopefully our Offense builds leads where opposing teams have to give up on the run by half and play into our strengths. I think they would have more interest in Simmons from Arizona.

That kind of makes sense provided they don't get gashed by the run game. Key is to get out to big leads I suppose.

I can’t imagine Morrow is in the starting lineup opening day. 

He's another player a lot of fans wanted in the 2020 draft where they took Reagor.  

I don't put it past Howie to make a move like this, but with LB they typically go for cheaper veterans or mid to late round picks at the position.  However they know they're all in for a Super Bowl in the next 2 year window so I could see Howie getting more aggressive.  

2024 draft picks:

1 - Eagles’ own pick
2 - Eagles’ own pick
2 - from New Orleans Saints
(3 - Projected compensatory pick for losing Javon Hargrave)
5 - from Minnesota Vikings (can elevate to 4th if Jalen Reagor stat thresholds met)
5 - from Tampa Bay Buccaneers
(5 - Projected compensatory pick for losing Isaac Seumalo)
(5 - Projected compensatory pick for losing Andre Dillard)
6 - Eagles’ own pick OR from Tennessee Titans (the more favorable selection)
(6 - Projected compensatory pick for losing C.J. Gardner-Johnson)

At this time we have 6 picks with an additional 4 projected compensatory picks bringing that total up to 10 picks. If the Eagles could pull off a trade with one of their 5th round picks for Queen, it would be worth it given our comp pick projections and the possibility of getting a 2025 comp pick if he walks in free agency.

Of course, this is assuming the Ravens are willing to trade him for a 5th round pick in the first place. I have a feeling they are going to want more in a trade, either a higher pick or perhaps a player to go with that 5th rounder?

On 5/2/2023 at 7:10 PM, ilikepargo said:

We are gearing up for a SB run. A little future compensation to plug the hole at LB is OK by me.

• 8 months later...

Makes too much sense

Makes too much sense to all of us but he's going to cost and we know Howie isn't going to invest in the position.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/30/2024 at 5:03 AM, Breeze 44 said:

he can take Bards salary

Wonder if he follows McDonald to Seattle

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Godfather said:

Wonder if he follows McDonald to Seattle

I think he definetly will