Eagles News: K’Von Wallace among Day 3 rookies who landed in favorable situations

UK_EaglesFan89

Eagles News: K’Von Wallace among Day 3 rookies who landed in favorable situations

2020 NFL Draft: Day 3 picks who landed in favorable situations - PFF
Pick 127: Philadelphia Eagles — S K’Von Wallace. Wallace’s main competition to take over the role left vacant by Malcolm Jenkins is much-maligned former cornerback Jalen Mills. Mills has earned coverage grades of 49.8 and 55.8 the past two seasons, and in his last season at safety back at LSU in 2014, he earned only a 70.6 coverage grade. Wallace, on the other hand, has earned coverage grades higher than that in every single year he was a starter at Clemson. This past season, he earned an 89.7 coverage grade. He has also been one of the best tacklers in the country, missing just 13 times on 159 attempts over the past three seasons.

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2020/6/28/21305925/eagles-news-kvon-wallace-day-3-rookies-landed-favorable-situations-pro-football-focus-pff-safety-nfl

I think there's real hope amongst us Eagles Fans that we've landed a potential steal here in Wallace. 

Actually his main competition is Will Parks. Eagles run a nickel big base. Parks at this point is the in the box safety in that situation just going by experience, no camp, no snaps. Wallace would def be a in the box safety in the nickel big set if he gets the nod. Now I could see Parks moving back and fighting with Mills for the SS spot. 

I see most of our sets being 6 DBs(Outsides- Slay, Jones or Mills) Nickel- Coleman, Box Safety- Wallace, Deep Safeties- McCeod, Mills/Parks) Could see Maddox and LeBlanc get in there in dime sets or to give Coleman a sub. 

I really still like Douglas but Jim just does not like this kid so I have a feeling hes trade bait come preseason. I wish they would keep him for at least the 2021 season to see how a new DC works with him since Jims contract is up and more then likely gone. 

On 6/29/2020 at 3:21 AM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2020/6/28/21305925/eagles-news-kvon-wallace-day-3-rookies-landed-favorable-situations-pro-football-focus-pff-safety-nfl

I think there's real hope amongst us Eagles Fans that we've landed a potential steal here in Wallace. 

Seattle landed some secondary gems late, so why not the Eagles 

• Like 1

I don't see Wallace making much of an impact this year, which is fine. He can play either the SS or slot corner positions in this defense, and we have two guys in front of him at each spot. However, those four guys are all FAs after this season, so I think he is a starter next year.

I can see why he dropped in the draft, as a lot of teams aren't going to be interested in a player who doesn't project as a free safety or an outside corner, as SS and slot corner types are pretty easy to find, as evidenced by the fact that we picked up Parks and Robey-Coleman on the cheap.

1 hour ago, Diehardfan said:

Seattle landed some secondary gems late, so why not the Eagles 

Absolutely! I mean if Maddox can find a long term position and Wallace turns out to be a good safety then that's 2 really good 4th round picks. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Absolutely! I mean if Maddox can find a long term position and Wallace turns out to be a good safety then that's 2 really good 4th round picks. 

What a blessing that would be. Cheap/young long term solutions. They could use some luck . 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Diehardfan said:

What a blessing that would be. Cheap/young long term solutions. They could use some luck . 

Well I guess Maddox is only cheap for another 2 years? If he plays at a high level then I guess he won't be that cheap to extend?

• Like 1

On 6/30/2020 at 11:30 AM, jsb235 said:

I don't see Wallace making much of an impact this year,

Wow! I disagree. I think the Mills experiment is a non-starter and hopefully the Eagles will see that in training camp before the regular season. Remember, they resigned him for the veteran minimum which means no one else wanted him. On a related topic I though Douglas would be a better safety than Mills, but for some reason Schwartz likes Mills and doesn't like Douglas. 

Wallace and Parks will share the second safety position. 

1 hour ago, Rob331 said:

Wow! I disagree. I think the Mills experiment is a non-starter and hopefully the Eagles will see that in training camp before the regular season. Remember, they resigned him for the veteran minimum which means no one else wanted him. On a related topic I though Douglas would be a better safety than Mills, but for some reason Schwartz likes Mills and doesn't like Douglas. 

Wallace and Parks will share the second safety position. 

I agree with you about Douglas. For some reason Schwartz refuses to use him in a way that would maximize his strengths, so at this point he would be better off on another team.

As far as Mills, his contract is for $4 million this year, so it's pretty far from the vet minimum. I think he will be given every chance to fail before they replace him. If that happens, I think Parks will get the nod before Wallace based on experience, though I agree that the best case scenario for the Eagles would be him winning the job outright.

To me, it makes more sense to keep Mills at corner and let him cover the other team's #2 receiver. He's clearly a favorite of Schwartz, and if he does well, he won't be too expensive to extend. Maddox and Jones haven't wowed anyone with their play, and if they beat him out of the job, so be it. We didn't really have any other options when they announced the move, but now Parks and Wallace make much more sense at the position, since both guys are bigger and faster than Mills.