Do we have any trade bait?

Rob331

If we need another linebacker or a safety how can they be acquired?

Guys who make a difference won't be cut at the end of training camp so any acquisition that improves the team will have to come via trade. 

If it's a trade it will have to be draft picks, players, or a combination of the two. 

We have plenty of draft picks but lets look at players who potentially could be moved. 

• RB - I think everyone but Swift could be used as currency
  • WR  - Quez Watkins just might be the most attractive player we could consider as a movable asset. (If he goes I think Howie would sign Landry, Jones, or Hilton for a year)
  • TE - no one but Goedert is untouchable but none of the others have any value. 
  • OL - after the top 7 only Opeta is the only possible target for another team. 
  • DE - this one is interesting. Both Jenkins and Barnett could be on someones radar. 
  • DT - another one where we have depth. Tuipolotu and Street could both have so value albeit limited.
  • LB - the cupboard is bare. 
  • CB - take your pick after the starters. McPhereson, Scott and al the new guys could be moved. 
  • S - another bare cupboard. 

So - what's the point? Let's consider 2 potential acquisitions. Patrick Queen at linebacker and Budda Baker at safety are both in the last year of their deals. Baker has asked to be moved and the Ravens have declined the 5th year option on Queen.

• Would Arizona take Watkins and Blankenship for Baker?
  • Would Baltimore take Jenkins and Street for Queen?

• Haha 2

Are you proposing a trade with an NFL team or an orangutang?

The trades you suggest would only appeal to the latter...if lucky 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

22 hours ago, RunItBAck said:

I guess that's your answer - we don't have any trade bait

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So, this thread probably doesn't belong in the 411. 

At this point it's more probable that we fill gaps with August camp cuts than trades, I imagine. 

On 5/11/2023 at 3:16 PM, RunItBAck said:

By the way you spelled that, I can guesstimate your age. Late 30’s early 40’s?

You have to give something to get something. The only viable assets the Eagles have that they might be willing to get rid of is draft picks. These guys mentioned are basically just add ons to open up a roster spot. Sometimes guys like this might get traded before roster cuts but it’s not very often. 

21 hours ago, Erie said:

So, this thread probably doesn't belong in the 411. 

You're right  - I should have put it into TATE - my bad

Who is Jenkins (DE)? Why would people trade for players we signed rather than just signing them themselves without giving up draft picks? What?

If Minshew didnt suck last year he would have been great trade bait. Oh well.

Maybe Gainwel? I would say right now he is someone who built up more value than his draft pos.

• Confused 2

Not really, we let them all go in FA so we have four comp picks - that’s enough. We’ll sign a LB after cuts. 

• Like 1

Because all the cuts this year will have to made on the same day August 29. Teams are not under pressure to cut early, and at the same time there will be a Jerry McGuire type of flood of cutbacks. It will be interesting to watch. By the law of Averages someone will be available. If not then you will find Howie willing to overpay in order to secure chance at SB. We are getting another LB ….. one way or another. So everyone chillax .

On 5/12/2023 at 3:19 PM, Aerolithe_Lion said:

By the way you spelled that, I can guesstimate your age. Late 30’s early 40’s?

the-benchwarmers-i-am12.gif

• Haha 2

Baker wants to be the highest paid player at safety in the league.  I don't see any realistic way he's coming here and I wish people would stop talking about it.  It's not going to happen.

On 5/11/2023 at 9:16 PM, RunItBAck said:

If we're trading with an orangutan, surely we could just offer peanuts?

The defense will be fine. 

Some fans seem to forget that we had the best Eagles defense in decades last season but on the biggest stage, at the highest levels in the NFL, a great offense, with a great quarterback and with great coaching will out duel the best defenses.  It happens over and over again in the modern NFL as it did this past Super Bowl. (And as was the case in 2017.)

Our defense is still very good going into this season and should be fine against 80-90% of the league - which is what you want.  If it's good enough to get you through a 17 game season and most of the playoffs (which it should be) then we should be fine.  No reason to go ham and spend assets, etc on an already very good defense that should do just fine against most teams. 

Because at the end of the day, if we get to the Super Bowl (or close) again it will (most likely) be up to our offense to "out duel" the other offense. 

• Like 1

I think Driscoll is the most valuable player we could trade. He's on the last year of his contract and has proven to be a decent starter. Steen can be the 6th OL here.

Maybe Howie can swap him for a veteran LB or a 5th round or so?

13 hours ago, beto_eagles said:

I think Driscoll is the most valuable player we could trade. He's on the last year of his contract and has proven to be a decent starter. Steen can be the 6th OL here.

Maybe Howie can swap him for a veteran LB or a 5th round or so?

Unless he’s beaten out there’s no point in trading him for some lower end pick. Long seasons and injuries happen especially on the lines. 

On 5/13/2023 at 5:15 PM, opa-opa said:

If Minshew didnt suck last year he would have been great trade bait. Oh well.

Maybe Gainwel? I would say right now he is someone who built up more value than his draft pos.

Minshew left from the Eagles as a free agent so there was no way he would have been trade bait, but I have two questions. First is how did Minshew not suck last year? The second is what is this market you mentioned that Minshew had? I mean when he actually had good numbers with the Jags they only got a 6th for the guy. You really think teams would have given the Eagles better after he put up these numbers? 

C24F9B04-F6BD-4F0A-9A46-4F41DDCC575F.jpeg

• Like 1

Sigh the old "lets trade our garbage for quality" thread is alive and well.

Rumors have the Eagles trading Quez Watkins to the Falcons. 😂