Minnesota Writer Thinks Vikings May Pursue Trade for Eagles QB

UK_EaglesFan89

Minnesota Writer Thinks Vikings May Pursue Trade for Eagles QB

l

It’s quiet out there as teams prepare to begin training camp on July 28. Perhaps a little too quiet.

The conspiracy theorists are working overtime on free-agent fits and crazy trade scenarios. This one may take the cake, with all the icing on top. Chris Schad of Zone Coverage — a blog and podcast dedicated to covering Minnesota sports — has proposed the idea of the Vikings trading for Carson Wentz in 2022. He cited a decrease in performance, plus his extended injury history, as reasons for the move. (It’s not true: Wentz enjoyed one of his best statistical seasons and set numerous records in 2019 while throwing to a bunch of practice-squad players).

Meanwhile, Kirk Cousins recently signed a ridiculous $66 million contract extension and he’s under Vikings team control through 2022. He’s the face of the franchise who is coming off his first playoff win in 2019. Why would Minnesota even consider trading him? Schad points out that Cousins’ cap hit balloons to $44 million in 2022, an absurd number that may cause the Vikings to either restructure his contract or look at moving him.

Enter Wentz. The Eagles starting quarterback has a potential out in 2022 on the $128 million he inked in 2019. His dead cap hit would be $24.5 million, per Spotrac. Remember, Wentz grew up cheering for the Vikings in his native North Dakota as they were the closest NFL franchise. Many in his home town are conflicted about whom to support when the Eagles and Vikings clash.

Let’s be clear: this trade isn’t happening. The Eagles are fully committed to Wentz for the foreseeable future and made that known with the contract they handed him. They also invested in a plethora of shiny new receivers this offseason. Still, it’s interesting to read the rumors from around the country. Here is some of what Schad wrote:

Instead of just trying to accommodate Wentz in the draft (outside of drafting wide receiver Jalen Reagor in the first round), the Eagles may have tipped their hand by selecting Oklahoma quarterback Jalen Hurts in the second round. If the Eagles had drafted a quarterback later, nobody would blink at this, but for them to take one this early in the draft may have been a warning sign.

An extended injury history and a decrease in performance could make Wentz available, and with an opt-out in 2022 that would save Philadelphia $22 million with a post-June 1 designation on a trade or release, the Eagles could turn to Hurts if his development goes well. 

https://heavy.com/sports/2020/06/eagles-carson-wentz-vikings-trade-rumor/

My initial reaction was that this is just utter nonsense. And I think it is pretty ridiculous but not as ridiculous as I first thought. I mean given the Hurts pick I think there's a small tiny chance that Wentz could eventually end up being traded. Now of course that'll depend on a lot of factors. 

Obviously a super slow time in the NFL right now ... the only reason someone decides to write a piece on this topic then includes "Let’s be clear: this trade isn’t happening" to acknowledge this is ridiculous (but still write it anyway).  

• Like 2

Another loon interrupting my off season slumber. Well, back to sleep.

Back To Bed GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Like 2

10 first round picks, 4 second round picks and every Eagles fan that didn't attend the Super Bowl gets to visit the stadium and rip out a seat (or other piece of the stadium) as a souvenir.

Added to that, they have to paint the Philly Special endzone with a mural of the Philly Special, for the next 50 years. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Is Sam Bradford a free agent? I’d happily sign him to a 1 year deal them ship him to Minnesota for a 1st and fourth round picks again. 

• Like 1

Not even wasting my time reading that.