Grade the Eagles Offense - position by position.

ManchesterEagle

I'll set up another thread for the D shortly.

QB - B +  Wentz is a top 10 QB with top 5 upside. He showed a lot at the end of last year with next to nothing at wide receiver. He still doesn't always play to his massive potential and health is still a question mark, but hopefully an improved supporting cast will help in 2020. There are big question marks over the back-up. Sudfeld hasn't shown anything yet and it's unlikely Hurts will be ready to be the number 2 at the start of next season.

RB - B  Sanders is a great multi-purpose back and hopefully will develop. The depth is pretty poor though. Scott showed flashes last year, but the Eagles really missed opportunities to upgrade the position in the draft/free agency. Hopefully Clement can somehow recapture that 2017 form.

WR - C  I know a lot of people will grade this lower and there are huge question marks, but there is a fair amount of potential and talent in this group. Jackson and Jeffery have both shown they are legitimate starters still, although age/injuries are catching up to them. Ward looked pretty good last year and had chemistry with Wentz. JJAW may well surprise people. We invested a lot in a WR heavy draft and the hope is at least Reagor can meaningfully contribute in 2020. I'm not sold on Goodwin, but he is at least another option. Could actually be a position of strength or a car crash next year. But I think the position has a lot more talent than some of the other areas (As you will see from my grades on D)

TE - A + We have the best TE situation in the league. Ertz is a top 3 TE and Goedert is a top 10 TE already with potential to be top 3 as well. There are question marks over TE3, but not enough to bring the grade down.

OL - B   I'm factoring in the Brooks injury. If he wasn't hurt, the line would be A/A-. Johnson and Kelce are both studs. Isaac S is a solid left guard. Dillard was fine at LT last year and as a first rounder who has reportedly been adding needed muscle, there are reasons to be optimistic here. The Brooks injury along with depth questions keep this from going higher than a B. Still intrigued by Mailata if he can sort out his injury issues.

• Like 1

I'd possibly upgrade QB to an A- but not a huge change really. 

We know Wentz is special when he's on his game and healthy. With more weapons this year, and with increased leadership responsibility, I think we will see a big year from Wentz. Behind him I think Hurts could potentially be a weapon and a decent back up. 

OL is a concern for me. I don't disagree with a B as its solid enough but this OL has the potential to be a soft spot for us. Likewise there's potential it could be an A if Dillard lives up to his first round hope and we find a solid replacement for Brooks. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I'd possibly upgrade QB to an A- but not a huge change really. 

We know Wentz is special when he's on his game and healthy. With more weapons this year, and with increased leadership responsibility, I think we will see a big year from Wentz. Behind him I think Hurts could potentially be a weapon and a decent back up. 

OL is a concern for me. I don't disagree with a B as its solid enough but this OL has the potential to be a soft spot for us. Likewise there's potential it could be an A if Dillard lives up to his first round hope and we find a solid replacement for Brooks. 

Yeah, while I am a fan of Wentz, I probably have more concerns than you do, hence my slightly lower grade. I also don't think Hurts will be ready in 2020. He could be, but we obviously don't currently have a back-up that has started and won an NFL game. 

Agreed on OL - there are definitely question marks, but having two legit all pro players in Kelce and Johnson just keeps it as a B for me, even with the Brooks injury.

• Like 3

Qb i think studfield is underrated, and i think if lauletta were thrust into a game he could hold down the fort much like aj feeley. Hurts im not sure what he is or how hes going to be used but its all about the starter and Wentz is an 

RB im not as worried about as most. How many times does a team use their 4th RB. Sanders should havec heavier load if he gets hurt pederson has shown he can utilize scott, clement is a proven commodity when healthy and i imagine between holyfield warren or killens could be just as good as darnell autrey. B

WR. Im not as down on this group as some. I think desean can still be elite i think reagor with desean will be a handful for defenses. Im not holding out much hope for JJAW. But well see. The other two rookies have some speed and could make some plays. I think goodwin is cooked jeffrey too and ward is JAG. We'll see got some hungry guys with a lot to prove and a vet in desean who always has a chip on his shoulder, i think they surprise.B-

TE Ertz isnt really a TE hes just a big WR his blocking is atrocious but as a receiver he gets open and has great hands and catch radius. Goedert is more complete as a blocker and as a receiver hes pretty good. The 3rd TE id rather have as a blocker rather than a big slow WR like perkins but whatever. Ill say TE is an A- would be A+ if Ertz could block😒

OL Kelce and Lane are tops in the league at their position, dillard played well as a rookie at LT and should get better, aside from one game last year seumalo was solid and can play all along the line in a pinch. With brooks the o line is an A+ as he was near the top of guards in the league as well but pryor is iffy at best. He has some tools mainly size length strength but his pass pro is iffy and all the depth behind him is unproven youngsters with minimal PT. Be interesting to see who rises. Can Mailata be a swing tackle or come in on heavy packages. Is Herbig more than a guy who is just versatile, is Opeta any good? Can either of the Auburn rookies be ready in a truncated off season.? I like the potential of the bench guys id feel more comfy if vaitai was playing guard instead pryor.A-

18 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Yeah, while I am a fan of Wentz, I probably have more concerns than you do, hence my slightly lower grade. I also don't think Hurts will be ready in 2020. He could be, but we obviously don't currently have a back-up that has started and won an NFL game. 

Agreed on OL - there are definitely question marks, but having two legit all pro players in Kelce and Johnson just keeps it as a B for me, even with the Brooks injury.

You know I'm a big Wentz fan but yeah i mean I have concerns. Can he stay healthy? Can he stay consistent? Can he play at that high elite level for pretty much 16 games? And can the OL protect him enough?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Utebird said:

Qb i think studfield is underrated, and i think if lauletta were thrust into a game he could hold down the fort much like aj feeley. Hurts im not sure what he is or how hes going to be used but its all about the starter and Wentz is an 

RB im not as worried about as most. How many times does a team use their 4th RB. Sanders should havec heavier load if he gets hurt pederson has shown he can utilize scott, clement is a proven commodity when healthy and i imagine between holyfield warren or killens could be just as good as darnell autrey. B

WR. Im not as down on this group as some. I think desean can still be elite i think reagor with desean will be a handful for defenses. Im not holding out much hope for JJAW. But well see. The other two rookies have some speed and could make some plays. I think goodwin is cooked jeffrey too and ward is JAG. We'll see got some hungry guys with a lot to prove and a vet in desean who always has a chip on his shoulder, i think they surprise.B-

TE Ertz isnt really a TE hes just a big WR his blocking is atrocious but as a receiver he gets open and has great hands and catch radius. Goedert is more complete as a blocker and as a receiver hes pretty good. The 3rd TE id rather have as a blocker rather than a big slow WR like perkins but whatever. Ill say TE is an A- would be A+ if Ertz could block😒

OL Kelce and Lane are tops in the league at their position, dillard played well as a rookie at LT and should get better, aside from one game last year seumalo was solid and can play all along the line in a pinch. With brooks the o line is an A+ as he was near the top of guards in the league as well but pryor is iffy at best. He has some tools mainly size length strength but his pass pro is iffy and all the depth behind him is unproven youngsters with minimal PT. Be interesting to see who rises. Can Mailata be a swing tackle or come in on heavy packages. Is Herbig more than a guy who is just versatile, is Opeta any good? Can either of the Auburn rookies be ready in a truncated off season.? I like the potential of the bench guys id feel more comfy if vaitai was playing guard instead pryor.A-

2017 Wentz and last 4 games of 2019 Wentz was an A/A+. Unfortunately his play in between hasn't been up to that standard (although injuries to himself and his teammates haven't helped). And also unfortunately with Wentz you can't just say that's it about the starter due to his injury issues. He's only played about 5 minutes of the 6 playoff games the Eagles have been in since he's got here. The backups have to factor into the grade.

1 hour ago, ManchesterEagle said:

2017 Wentz and last 4 games of 2019 Wentz was an A/A+. Unfortunately his play in between hasn't been up to that standard (although injuries to himself and his teammates haven't helped). And also unfortunately with Wentz you can't just say that's it about the starter due to his injury issues. He's only played about 5 minutes of the 6 playoff games the Eagles have been in since he's got here. The backups have to factor into the grade.

Fair enough and im not sure most other teams in the league have a situation any better at backup qb.

I based my grades off other teams rosters.

Not too many teams have solid backups some dont even have solid starters.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

QB - B +  Wentz is a top 10 QB with top 5 upside. He showed a lot at the end of last year with next to nothing at wide receiver. He still doesn't always play to his massive potential and health is still a question mark, but hopefully an improved supporting cast will help in 2020. There are big question marks over the back-up. Sudfeld hasn't shown anything yet and it's unlikely Hurts will be ready to be the number 2 at the start of next season.

RB - B  Sanders is a great multi-purpose back and hopefully will develop. The depth is pretty poor though. Scott showed flashes last year, but the Eagles really missed opportunities to upgrade the position in the draft/free agency. Hopefully Clement can somehow recapture that 2017 form.

WR - C  I know a lot of people will grade this lower and there are huge question marks, but there is a fair amount of potential and talent in this group. Jackson and Jeffery have both shown they are legitimate starters still, although age/injuries are catching up to them. Ward looked pretty good last year and had chemistry with Wentz. JJAW may well surprise people. We invested a lot in a WR heavy draft and the hope is at least Reagor can meaningfully contribute in 2020. I'm not sold on Goodwin, but he is at least another option. Could actually be a position of strength or a car crash next year. But I think the position has a lot more talent than some of the other areas (As you will see from my grades on D)

TE - A + We have the best TE situation in the league. Ertz is a top 3 TE and Goedert is a top 10 TE already with potential to be top 3 as well. There are question marks over TE3, but not enough to bring the grade down.

OL - B   I'm factoring in the Brooks injury. If he wasn't hurt, the line would be A/A-. Johnson and Kelce are both studs. Isaac S is a solid left guard. Dillard was fine at LT last year and as a first rounder who has reportedly been adding needed muscle, there are reasons to be optimistic here. The Brooks injury along with depth questions keep this from going higher than a B. Still intrigued by Mailata if he can sort out his injury issues.

Yo Manchester - this is a really good analysis. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Utebird said:

Fair enough and im not sure most other teams in the league have a situation any better at backup qb.

I based my grades off other teams rosters.

Not too many teams have solid backups some dont even have solid starters.

To be honest the QB situation isn’t that strong across the league. You have a  number 1 in Mahomes and then Wilson, Jackson and Watson are right up there. A lot of the traditional top 5 QBs are declining (Brady/Brees/Rodgers/Big Ben etc). I wouldn’t have many teams with an A grade. 

But I just can’t put Wentz and co right up there. The Chiefs are probably an A + and the Seahawks are an A. Wentz isn’t as good as Mahomes or Wilson right now, or as durable. Couple that with two unproven back ups and that’s why I was struggling to give more than a B +

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

You have a  number 1 in Mahomes and then Wilson, Jackson and Watson are right up there.

I'd put Wentz right with Watson to be honest. And in fact I think it's too soon to declare Jackson an elite type QB. Let's see what he does during the next NFL season. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I'd put Wentz right with Watson to be honest. And in fact I think it's too soon to declare Jackson an elite type QB. Let's see what he does during the next NFL season. 

Fair enough. Watson is tough. That O-Line is brutal, but on the other hand he has had Hopkins. Let's see how he does this year.

I think Jackson's the real deal. His supporting cast was pretty poor last year and he still made the MVP. I suspect there will be some drop off, but I do think he will still be very good. Question is can he stay healthy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Fair enough. Watson is tough. That O-Line is brutal, but on the other hand he has had Hopkins. Let's see how he does this year.

I think Jackson's the real deal. His supporting cast was pretty poor last year and he still made the MVP. I suspect there will be some drop off, but I do think he will still be very good. Question is can he stay healthy.

Watson is really really good I certainly don't argue that bud. I'm a big fan of his. I just think he and Wentz are on a similar level. 

Jackson will see some drop off IF teams can figure out how to stop him. Easier said than done though. 

I would grade the offense differently, namely as the QB, the primary skill position players, the offensive line and the backups.

QB - A. I like Wentz. I would rather have him than anyone but Mahomes.

Skill position players (Sanders, Ertz, Goedert, Djax and Reagor) - B. If Djax stays healthy and Reagor is who we think he is, this can move up, or if Djax gets hurt and Reagor goes full Agholor on us, this can go down. But I think we are in the ballpark with the Cowboys, but behind the Saints and Vikings and the Falcons.

Offensive line - A+. This is dependent on Dillard being really good, but also includes Brooks. Dillard is a mystery right now, but the fact that Jason Peters remains unsigned is a good indication. And Brooks said that he has added a bunch of weight, which he needed to do to prevent being bullrushed. I think Kelce, Lane and Brooks are the best in the NFL at their positions, and when Seumalo is playing well, he is right there. If Dillard can get a little stronger this year, I don't see anyone beating him. You can't get around him with quickness, so good luck if you can't overpower him. If you want to get nitpicky, putting Pryor in for Brooks moves it down to an A-.

Backups - C. We have some guys with experience - Scott, Ward, Pryor, Goodwin and JJAW, but largely these guys are untested or haven't done well (JJAW). It's hard to tell if Reagor should be here or with the starters, but I am guessing he will see the majority of snaps week 1 if there is a training camp. Lamb and Jefferson are slated to start for their teams, so there's no reason this kid shouldn't be expected to. This grade goes up if JJAW and Pryor play really well. I think we know what we will get out of Scott and Ward.

I'd say overall that this is a solid B+ offense, with the chance of being the second best in the conference if things go our way. The floor seems to be fifth or sixth.    

5 hours ago, jsb235 said:

If you want to get nitpicky, putting Pryor in for Brooks moves it down to an A-.

Losing a pro Bowl calibre player only moves it down to an A-? I think that's generous bud. I mean I think Pryor could be a good starter but it's still going to be quite a big drop off from Brooks.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jsb235 said:

I would grade the offense differently, namely as the QB, the primary skill position players, the offensive line and the backups.

QB - A. I like Wentz. I would rather have him than anyone but Mahomes.

Skill position players (Sanders, Ertz, Goedert, Djax and Reagor) - B. If Djax stays healthy and Reagor is who we think he is, this can move up, or if Djax gets hurt and Reagor goes full Agholor on us, this can go down. But I think we are in the ballpark with the Cowboys, but behind the Saints and Vikings and the Falcons.

Offensive line - A+. This is dependent on Dillard being really good, but also includes Brooks. Dillard is a mystery right now, but the fact that Jason Peters remains unsigned is a good indication. And Brooks said that he has added a bunch of weight, which he needed to do to prevent being bullrushed. I think Kelce, Lane and Brooks are the best in the NFL at their positions, and when Seumalo is playing well, he is right there. If Dillard can get a little stronger this year, I don't see anyone beating him. You can't get around him with quickness, so good luck if you can't overpower him. If you want to get nitpicky, putting Pryor in for Brooks moves it down to an A-.

Backups - C. We have some guys with experience - Scott, Ward, Pryor, Goodwin and JJAW, but largely these guys are untested or haven't done well (JJAW). It's hard to tell if Reagor should be here or with the starters, but I am guessing he will see the majority of snaps week 1 if there is a training camp. Lamb and Jefferson are slated to start for their teams, so there's no reason this kid shouldn't be expected to. This grade goes up if JJAW and Pryor play really well. I think we know what we will get out of Scott and Ward.

I'd say overall that this is a solid B+ offense, with the chance of being the second best in the conference if things go our way. The floor seems to be fifth or sixth.    

Look I like Wentz as well, but you would really take him over Wilson? If nothing else Wilson is Mr Durable - I'm not sure he's missed a game yet. Wentz's inconsistencies and injuries take him just below an A for me. I agree when he is playing at this peak (most of 2017, last 4 games of 2019) he is one of the best in the league though. But I just don't think you can ignore his durability issues.

Skill position players - yeah I suppose you can grade starters rather than position by position. The difficulty is that the Eagles mix and match a lot and currently Reagor is only learning the Z position (ie where Jackson is playing now). I do expect he and Jackson will both get some time in the slot to get them on the field at the same time, but I don't think you will see that package on the field together that often. 

O-Line - Brooks is out for this year! I think we have to grade accordingly. We can have cautious optimism with Dillard, but we can't just assume he will be elite. Even with Brooks I don't think we can grade this line an A + yet.

Who would you have as the number 1 in the conference? I think the ceiling is very high, but the floor is lower than 5th or 6th. Last year we were about 8th in the conference in yards and points. We had a lot of bad luck with WR play and injuries last year, but we've already lost Peters and Brooks from the line, so it's not guaranteed we will improve.

5 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Losing a pro Bowl calibre player only moves it down to an A-? I think that's generous bud. I mean I think Pryor could be a good starter but it's still going to be quite a big drop off from Brooks.

Yeah I love how he saw it as nitpicky that I counted Pryor rather than Brooks. Brooks is done for the year - won't play at all until 2021. As you say, losing somebody that good from the line has to have an impact.

As you said above, until we see consistent strong play from Dillard and Pryor, I don't see how the O-Line can be graded higher than a B (or B + at a push) at this stage. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

O-Line - Brooks is out for this year! I think we have to grade accordingly. We can have cautious optimism with Dillard, but we can't just assume he will be elite. Even with Brooks I don't think we can grade this line an A + yet.

Dillard looked like he just needed to add strength to be a top-tier NFL tackle. There are reports he did that, so I am optimistic.

As far as Pryor, he looked fine when he was in there last year, and he may not even win the job. If you look at our division, every team has issues at guard with their starters. Williams isn't very good in Dallas. Will Hernandez had a terrible second season. And Washington doesn't even have a starter at one guard spot right now.

And consider this, Brooks was the top rated guard in football last year and Seumalo was in the top ten. Pryor wasn't starting because he isn't good, he wasn't starting because the guys in front of him are the best in the league. Right now he starts for every other team in the division, and I am sure he competes for a starting job on every other team in the conference. For example, he's probably better than what NO will have at guard this year, and NO has the fifth-best ranked offensive line in football. The Cowboys are number four.

Giving out a grade doesn't involve just looking at our team, it involves looking at what else is out there. Are the Cowboys better than us with average guys at center and guard? Are the Saints better with an average guard at one spot and a rookie at the other?

These grades are on a curve. You can't give the Eagles a bad grade without giving someone else a good one. We lost Brooks and Peters, but the Saints lost Warford and the Cowboys lost Frederick. I am simply saying that Pryor and Dillard are going to be better replacements than the ones being inserted into the lineups in Dallas and NO. And overall we are still in the upper echelon of offensive lines.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Look I like Wentz as well, but you would really take him over Wilson? If nothing else Wilson is Mr Durable - I'm not sure he's missed a game yet. Wentz's inconsistencies and injuries take him just below an A for me. I agree when he is playing at this peak (most of 2017, last 4 games of 2019) he is one of the best in the league though. But I just don't think you can ignore his durability issues.

Wilson is going to be 32 this season and relies a lot on his legs to make plays. That seems like a bad combination to me.

I would take Wentz.

7 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Yeah I love how he saw it as nitpicky that I counted Pryor rather than Brooks. Brooks is done for the year - won't play at all until 2021. As you say, losing somebody that good from the line has to have an impact.

Ultimately with Brooks and Lane that locks down the right hand side of the line. Don't need to worry about it. With Brooks gone that raises a concern on the right side. On the left there's concerns there with Dillard. Can Seumalo play at a high enough and consistent enough level to help Dillard if needed?

On 7/1/2020 at 2:36 PM, ManchesterEagle said:

On 7/1/2020 at 4:22 PM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Watson is really really good I certainly don't argue that bud. I'm a big fan of his. I just think he and Wentz are on a similar level. 

Jackson will see some drop off IF teams can figure out how to stop him. Easier said than done though. 

I still think Watson should have won that Heisman over Lamar Jackson (2016 iirc) but I've always liked Watson and would like to see him succeed (as long as it isn't at our expense) but I wonder about the longevity of Jackson. He's a different kind of talent than we've seen but his style of play historically hasn't aged well.

• Like 1

Coaching- B-

With so many coaching additions it is hard to tell. It will also depend on how Doug adjusts and if he gives away key areas of the offense to some of these coaches. I will say the RB, TE and Oline coaches are very good and only reason they get the B- rating. WR, QB, and rest of coaches are question marks at this time. If doug keeps doing what he did in 16,18,19 it drops this rating by a full grade. 

On 6/30/2020 at 1:30 PM, ManchesterEagle said:

I really couldn’t argue much with these grades, anything would be minor ... nice analysis ME.  For example, I’d give RB a C+.  Sanders is likely a stud in the making ... but both he and Scott (who I also like quite a bit as well) only did their thing for one year ... they both need to prove themselves over multiple years.  After that we really don’t know what we have yet.  

WR is really a complete unknown so it’s kinda hard to assign a grade.  Short term the grade might be lower due to the lack of a proper offseason, but long term they might be OK.  All the newly added young WRs need to show consistent reliability first.    

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

QB- B 

RB- C+

WR-D

TE- A

OLine- B-

Coaching- C+

You guys are stoned homers.   

lol - your grades are pretty close to mine and your coaching grade is close to the one guy who graded that. None of your grades are bad - but you are just slightly on the pessimistic side.

14 minutes ago, time2rock said:

I really couldn’t argue much with these grades, anything would be minor ... nice analysis ME.  For example, I’d give RB a C+.  Sanders is likely a stud in the making ... but both he and Scott (who I also like quite a bit as well) only did their thing for one year ... they both need to prove themselves over multiple years.  After that we really don’t know what we have yet.  

WR is really a complete unknown so it’s kinda hard to assign a grade.  Short term the grade might be lower due to the lack of a proper offseason, but long term they might be OK.  All the newly added young WRs need to show consistent reliability first.    

Thanks T2R - yeah if anything I was probably slightly generous with my grades. RB - I think C+ is a little harsh. Sanders showed enough to me that I believe at least he will be a good to very good running back. I agree on Scott, might be good, might have just caught bottled lightning at the right time. The lack of depth certainly is a concern at this stage.

WR - yeah a lot of uncertainty and the lack of a proper offseason won't help JJAW or the rooks. But I do think last season is clouding people's judgement on this one a little. Everything that could go wrong did go wrong. This year we have a lot of guys who could be solid to very good starters. Just need 2-3 of them to come through/stay healthy and we are in a much better position. I agree it's tough to assign a grade - that's why I went with a nervous C  but the unit could be a real strength or a disaster again!

• Like 1