Eagle needs 2024 draft

Rob331

• 1 - Corner, Are Jobe and Ringo the future starters?  Let's get some insurance.
  • 2 - Guard. Kelce retires, Jurgens moves to center and we need a starter.
  • 2- DL. We have young guys but will have to replace Fletchand BG
  • 3 - DL again. Lose 2 add 2.
  • 4 - Running back. Too high? Penny and Swift are in contract years. 
  • 5 - Tight end. Is Stoll really the quality backup we need?
  • 6 - T/G. Driscoll is on a contract year
  • 7 - Linebacker. one year deals abound on the current roster

Not sure we'll have additional picks but if we do - Safety and Punter will be needs 

• Like 1

While it's certainly too early to tell and a lot of this will be contingent on how the 2022-2023 draft classes contribute to the team this year, but I think it's safe to say that the team will prioritize DE early in 2024.

Brandon Graham and Derek Barnett are both free agents this upcoming offseason and the Eagles could potentially move on from them both in 2024. That would leave Josh Sweat and Tarron Jackson as the starters at DE. I can see the team convince BG to come back one more year to groom whoever they draft in the 1st round, but it's not a given.

Yes, Fletcher Cox is an impending free agent as well, but we do have a talented trio of young IDL in Jalen Carter, Jordan Davis, and Milton Williams, to keep that part of the DL a strength. Losing Cox won't sting as much as losing Graham without an adequate replacement.

We will probably continue the trend towards draft day moves, low-hanging fruit (UDFA, one year contracts) and one or two quality free agent starters, as needed.

The emphaisis will probably be towards drafting several areas where depth is critical (LB, TE, OL, DE).

• 1 month later...

I hear you but - 

On 8/15/2023 at 4:00 PM, eaglesfan0075 said:

That would leave Josh Sweat and Tarron Jackson as the starters at DE.

I consider Reddick a DE and then there's last year's #1 - Nolan Smith

On 8/16/2023 at 11:35 PM, Crazy Legs said:

The emphaisis will probably be towards drafting several areas where depth is critical (LB, TE, OL, DE).

They'llnever emphasize LB and they are pretty healthy at TE

So - here's my way too early mock - 

• 1 - CB Marcellas Dial, South Carolina 6'0"195 4.48
  • 2- G/T Xavier Truss, Georgia 6'7" 320 5.20
  • 2- DE Jack Sawyer, Ohio State 6'4" 260 4.70
  • 3- DE/DT Akheem Masidor, Miami (FL) 6'3" 280 4.99
  • 4- RB Carson Steele, UCLA 6'1" 225 4.55
  • 5- TE McCallen Castles,Tennessee 6'5" 240 4.75
  • 6- OL Javon foster, Missouri 6'5" 320 5.25
  • 7- LB Xavian Sorey Jr, Georgia 6'3" 214 4.68

• 5 weeks later...

From a strategic point of view, I would like to see the Eagles draft a quarterback on day 2 of the draft. There could be as many as a dozen quality prospects drafted on the first 3 rounds.

I was hoping we would sign Mariota in free agency last offseason...and we did. However, preseason left alot of doubt in many minds as to how well he might perfom as a backup.

Rather than repeat that path, taking into consideration the general lack of quality versus pricetag, I'd just as soon groom the next Hurts/Purdy on a rookie contract.

Of course, maybe we could luck out in later rounds like SF did last season...and just maybe we already did (Tanner).

As demonstrated in last year's NFC Championship as well as this season's injuries at QB, you do not want to be talent thin at this important roster spot.

In any event, it looks like a great year to acquire some more talented prospects at this premium spot.

• 2 weeks later...

I would rank the priorities as:

OT - need a top prospect to be Lane’s future replacement.  I expect we’ll trade a 2nd rounder to get quality in the first

DE - need Graham’s replacement unless Smith can add weight and be a true DE, not just a rush linebacker.  I expect we’ll use a 2nd rounder here, possibly using 5th rounder to move up

CB - need a quality outside back-up with upside as future starter unless one of Ricks, Jobe and Ringo can be that guy and another emerges as a quality back-up.  Could get one in the 3rd round maybe by using a 5th round pick to move up from the bottom of the 3rd round.  

TE - need a quality back-up who can starter in a year or two. Could get one in the 3rd round maybe by using a 5th round pick to move up from the bottom of the 3rd round.

RB and LB - not a need but it would be good to get one of each with potential upside as we are thin at quality starters or could find in free agency.  Likely a 5th round pick for one. 

Other than that, depth at OL, DT and QB can be opportunistic

• 1 month later...

To me the Eagles needs are 

Safety
LB
DE
CB
OG
OT

• Like 1

In no particular order---

Offense--RB, OG, Backup OC, WR

Defense--DE, LB, CB, Safety

Priority overall IMO---CB, Safety, OG, LB, RB, DE, OC, WR

ER

On 1/9/2024 at 10:55 AM, Eaglerick55 said:

Priority overall IMO---CB, Safety, OG, LB, RB, DE, OC, WR

We're pretty much on th same page except for corner. I think Slay will be back and that he'll be better than this year. The knee was likely an issue for longer than we know about. Bradberry won't be back, but we have too many promising youngsters to draft a corner inthe 1st and let them wilt on the vine. 

I'd move WR up there a bit - we just don't have a #3. not only aren't OZ and Watkins what we need they're both free agents. 

You can't always get what you want (Jagger).

We have multiple needs and our limited resources (cap room and high picks) will be a hindrance.

Hopefully, we can retain a few veteran FA on team-friendly signingis prior to developing a serious draft strategy.

What's truly needed is a flexible approach - address the most serious needs with NFL-ready talent - then do your level best to select young talent with upside.

Keep in mind we only have about 2 or 3 quality draft picks before it becomes a guessing game in the draft.

My preliminary priorities would be a WR, CB and LB - each of whom could contribute in their rookie season. Of course, if a really talented OT/DE/QB/S were to unexpectedly fall to our pick, by all means grab him. 

I think you have to go with either OT or DE in the first round, whichever one yields better value. I think it's 50/50 on whether Lane Johnson comes back another season but I do anticipate Brandon Graham, Fletcher Cox, and Jason Kelce all to retire/not be resigned. 

The Eagles don't draft true LBs in the 1st round under this FO but they have done it in the 2nd round before (Mychal Kendricks in 2012) so that's probably our best bet. Jeremiah Trotter Jr?

I would love a 1st round CB/S under most circumstances, but Howie missed his opportunity the past few drafts when the needs were not as many. Now we are going to have to compensate for the loss of multiple linemen on both sides of the ball and that will take up much of our draft capital in 2024.

I'd expect something like this at best:

Round 1 - OT

Round 2 - DE

Round 2 - LB

Round 3 - RB

Round 4 - DT

Round 5 - OG

Round 6 - TE

Round 7 - LB

My present sentiments are that our best value day 1 pick will be a DB or WR. There should be plentiful talent available late-first. They should be able to contribute early-on and he might in all probability need to do so.

I will consider our day 2 picks to be a sucess if they fill a need, have high ceilings and can contribute anywhere by mid-season regardless of position.

To my knowledge we do not have picks in rounds 3 or 4 - other than a supplemental (#97). 

Once we resume picking in round 5, we will be looking at prospective backups/practice squad and/or special teams players.

So, hopefully, we retain several in-house FA, sign some JAGs and discover some longshot UDFAs.

With all their needs I'm starting to lean towards trading down a couple of times. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Rob331 said:

With all their needs I'm starting to lean towards trading down a couple of times. 

Absolutely.

There will still be great defensive players available into the 2nd round.

Eagles need everything and have bad picks. Sirianni is back. We are doomed!

• Sad 1

On 1/17/2024 at 10:09 PM, wrestlevessel said:

Eagles need everything and have bad picks. Sirianni is back. We are doomed!

I don't agree - Sirianni had a bad half year with two new coordinators, a new QB coach, a new LB coach, new DB coaches, and a ton of injuries in the secondary. 

Look for a return to the division title next year. 

Here's the recipe for success - 

• Replace Desai/Patricia with an experienced and successful DC. 
  • Draft a 3rd wide out
  • Draft or FA a starting safety
  • Draft a starting LB

Our picks aren't really bad - 22nd inthe 1st, 2 second round picks, a comp in the 3rd which = a 4th, and likely 3 picks inthe 5th. 

All that being said - I fell your pain