14th Overall Pick in 14 Team Draft

M.C.

Got the 14th overall pick in a 14 team 0.5 ppr, IDP, 17 round snake draft. Of course, having the 15th pick helps. I'm thinking about drafting Kelce w/ one of those 2 picks (He fell quite a ways last year). And considering going WR heavy in the first 4 rounds. Aside from crying, what should I do?

One last thing, QB scoring has an interesting quirk 0.5 per completion, -0.2 per incompletion.  

Edit: -1 per sack

Well, first you mock up the Top 15 guys in the draft. The good news is you are getting two of them. You're in a situation you can't control the board, so let the board work for you.

Kelce is worthy of one of those first 2 picks. But it comes at the expense of a WR slot.

11 hours ago, toolg said:

Well, first you mock up the Top 15 guys in the draft. The good news is you are getting two of them. You're in a situation you can't control the board, so let the board work for you.

Kelce is worthy of one of those first 2 picks. But it comes at the expense of a WR slot.

I'd have to agree here.

With that many teams in your league the rosters are going to be thinned out, so it would make sense to try to get a positional advantage at TE.

If Kelce makes it to you at 14, I'd take him there along with the best value pick you can make at RB/WR with the other one. 

That QB scoring is quite odd, because even the top QBs will have their fair share of incompletions. I'm curious to see how much that really does separate the tiers of QBs in your league. Have people historically drafted the top QBs within the first 2 rounds in your league?

If one of Mahomes, Allen, Hurts, or Burrow is still there when you pick in the 3rd/4th round, you should consider it. But it's way too rich to do that at the 14/15 spot.

• Like 1

I am curious about the QB stat.... Looks like you want high usage, lots of pass attempts => leads to more completions... tempered some by the negative points for incompletions, but I wouldn't worry about them so much.  You want those pass attempts up, likely to rack up more completions that way. You still want Mahomes, Burrow, Herbert... Pocket throwers like Cousins, Stafford and Goff become a little more valuable where you fade running QBs Josh Allen, Jalen Hurts, Lamar Jackson, Justin Fields, etc

• Like 2

14 is too many teams for a 17 round draft (even with the IDP). I would be shocked to see Kelce make it out of Round 1 even in 10 or 12 team leagues, so if he falls to you that is easily the best pick. While RB has quieted, your 3rd and 4th picks are going to be 42/43, so unless you can get confident TE/WR pairing at 14/15, it may be worth taking a solid RB option with a pass-catcher at 14/15 and then taking 2 more pass catchers at 42/43 unless some other decent RB falls (which at 42/43, the options outside of "upside" may not be much different than the bodies there at 70/71. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

I'd have to agree here.

With that many teams in your league the rosters are going to be thinned out, so it would make sense to try to get a positional advantage at TE.

If Kelce makes it to you at 14, I'd take him there along with the best value pick you can make at RB/WR with the other one. 

That QB scoring is quite odd, because even the top QBs will have their fair share of incompletions. I'm curious to see how much that really does separate the tiers of QBs in your league. Have people historically drafted the top QBs within the first 2 rounds in your league?

If one of Mahomes, Allen, Hurts, or Burrow is still there when you pick in the 3rd/4th round, you should consider it. But it's way too rich to do that at the 14/15 spot.

Typically Mahomes and Allen are often taken late 1st. Most of the time they don't get past 12. 

11 hours ago, toolg said:

I am curious about the QB stat.... Looks like you want high usage, lots of pass attempts => leads to more completions... tempered some by the negative points for incompletions, but I wouldn't worry about them so much.  You want those pass attempts up, likely to rack up more completions that way. You still want Mahomes, Burrow, Herbert... Pocket throwers like Cousins, Stafford and Goff become a little more valuable where you fade running QBs Josh Allen, Jalen Hurts, Lamar Jackson, Justin Fields, etc

Herbert & Fields are an interesting example of this, albeit to an extreme -

In a standard league (6pts Passing TD):

Herbert had 378 (9th), Fields had 366 (10th)

In this system (4pts Passing TD):

Herbert had 453 (5th),  Fields had 346 (12th)

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Agent23 said:

While RB has quieted, your 3rd and 4th picks are going to be 42/43, so unless you can get confident TE/WR pairing at 14/15, it may be worth taking a solid RB option with a pass-catcher at 14/15 and then taking 2 more pass catchers at 42/43 unless some other decent RB falls (which at 42/43, the options outside of "upside" may not be much different than the bodies there at 70/71. 

I feel like you have to take RB in one of the first 4 rounds. So if you don't take one 14/15, you are picking at least one at 42/43. Big gamble to wait 70/71 for both RB slots, assuming you play 2 RBs. There is nobody left if you wait any longer.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Godfather said:

Drafting defense is lame

There's some skill, targeting offenses weak OL's, running QB's; but, there's not enough scarcity.