7 Philadelphia Eagles who need to step up for Carson Wentz in 2020

UK_EaglesFan89

7 Philadelphia Eagles who need to step up for Carson Wentz in 2020

The Philadelphia Eagles will enter the 2020 NFL season with championship aspirations and a quarterback on the hunt for his absolute respect around the league.

Wentz is one of the top-5 quarterbacks in the game, but all critics talk about are his eight games missed over the past three seasons including his first postseason start against the Seahawks last year.

Wentz can’t win another division title alone and in this breakdown, we’ll look at the seven Eagles who need to step up and do their part for the MVP candidate.

1.  Matt Pryor, Right Guard

Pryor spent two seasons learning the Eagles’ offense for this moment and was the Eagles’ choice to replace Brandon Brooks in the Birds Wild Card loss to the Seattle Seahawks.

Originally selected by the Eagles in the 6th round (206th overall) of the 2018 NFL Draft, Pryor actually made his first career NFL start in place of an injured Brooks in that Wild Card game vs. Seattle.

An All-Big 12 honoree at TCU, Pryor will be called upon to help the Eagles maintain the distinction of being in the top-3 annually in both pass and run blocking. Pryor won’t be able to match Brandon Brooks’s production, but he’ll definitely need to hold up in the interior so Wentz can work his magic.

2. DeSean Jackson, Wide Receiver

As you witnessed in the season opener a year ago, Jackson and Wentz have dynamic chemistry and if No. 10 can stay healthy, the Eagles star quarterback could shatter every single-season passing record the franchise has.

Jackson looks faster and stronger since his abdominal surgery and will look to cement his status in franchise history with a monster 2020 campaign.

3. Jim Schwartz, Defensive Coordinator

The Eagles defensive coordinator finally has everything he needs and could have his most complete unit since the Eagles 2017 Super Bowl team. The Eagles added Javon Hargrave, then acquired Darius Slay via trade and Nickell Robey-Coleman via free agency as well.

Add in Will Parks, the return of Jalen Mills, the drafting of K’Von Wallace and you have the recipe for a dynamic and turnover causing defense.

Legacies are built on championships and Super Bowl appearances, and Carson Wentz needs Jim Schwartz to do his part when it comes to not blowing leads or shutting down the offenses that shouldn’t be on the field with Philadelphia.

4. Press Taylor, Pass Game Coordinator

The Eagles passing game coordinator got a promotion and a huge part of that newfound responsibility will include drawing up the creative plays that allow DeSean Jackson, Jalen Reagor, Marquise Goodwin, John Hightower and others to get loose in space.

Taylor is an offensive innovator and his ability to put Wentz and the Eagles in great positions — similar to what Eric Bienemy does with Mahomes — will go a long way in deciphering just how successful Wentz can truly be.

5. Andre Dillard, Left Tackle

The Eagles picked the former first-round pick over Jason Peters and it’ll be on Dillard to protect Wentz’s blindside. Although he struggled at right tackle, Dillard was one of the top left tackle prospects entering the 2019 NFL Draft and will be called upon to continue Peters dominance at left tackle.

6. JJ Arcega-Whiteside, Wide Receiver

Alshon Jeffery is a red zone monster, but he’ll likely be unavailable at the start of the 2020 regular season. Dallas Goedert and Zach Ertz are formidable red-zone targets but Arcega-Whiteside was drafted and made a name for himself at Stanford for his ability to win jump balls and overpower his opponent.

After a disappointing rookie season, a 44 catch, 575 yards, 6 touchdown performance from Arcega-Whiteside could make 2019 a thing of the past.

7. Marquise Goodwin, Wide Receiver

Brought over from the 49ers in a draft-day trade, Goodwin would provide Wentz with another explosive player and a guy that Press Taylor and Doug Pederson could utilize in space.

Goodwin, Jackson, and Reagor all have the world-class speed that the Eagles could utilize to forge the Chiefs of the East style offense.

https://theeagleswire.usatoday.com/2020/07/02/philadelphia-eagles-nfl-carson-wentz-step-up-seven-players-desean-jackson/

Good solid OL play and receivers who can make the occasional play for Wentz rather than Wentz always needing a perfect delivery would be nice. 

Not sure if these were listed in order of importance ... if so Dillard should be much higher than #5.  And I wound't include Goodwin on this list at all (good chance he doesn't even make the roster).  You could easily include the emergence of one of our rookie WR draft picks in that 7th spot.  Or the play of Slay on the back end of the defense.  Or McLeod or Mills.  

• Like 1

This list is somewhat off to me. Pryor played well last year in relief. If we get that level of play from him, we are fine. DJax got hurt, so he just needs that not to happen again. My list would be like this,

1. Dillard. Didn't play great last year. Needed to add strength and apparently did that.

2. Reagor. The Eagles need a young receiver to break out like other teams had last year, and Hill did for the Chiefs a while ago.

3. JJAW. If everyone is healthy, I see him only getting 30-40 percent of the snaps, but he needs to make them count.

That's it for players. If we get the same level of play from the other olinemen, Ertz and Goedert and the running backs, we are fine on offense. So if I had to fill out the list, I would just list the offensive coaches.

On defense I would list:

1. Fletcher Cox. Down year last year, but I expect big things.

2. Derek Barnett. Needs a big year to get a big contract.

3. Maddox/Jones. Needs to definitively win the CB2 job.

4. Mills. Needs to fill Jenkins' shoes.

5. Gerry. Needs to get better at tackling/shedding blocks.

6. Edwards. Needs to show he isn't just a role player, but a decent starter.

The rest, Slay, Graham, Hargrave, Jackson, Robey-Coleman, Sweat, Parks and McLeod, just need to play like they did last year/before they got hurt, and we should be fine. I personally would like to see Parks start at SS, but I realize Schwartz loves Mills, so I didn't put him on the list as needing to step up, since I see him primarily subbing for a LB on passing downs, which he should be fine at.

not so sure Goodwin belongs on the list. There's a real chance he won't even make the roster. 

• Like 1

I'm going with 10 guys...the rest of the Offense to be precise.

On 7/3/2020 at 12:28 PM, time2rock said:

Not sure if these were listed in order of importance ... if so Dillard should be much higher than #5.  And I wound't include Goodwin on this list at all (good chance he doesn't even make the roster).  You could easily include the emergence of one of our rookie WR draft picks in that 7th spot.  Or the play of Slay on the back end of the defense.  Or McLeod or Mills.  

On 7/3/2020 at 3:42 PM, Rob331 said:

not so sure Goodwin belongs on the list. There's a real chance he won't even make the roster. 

Yeah- he is a flyer - nothing more. A speed receiver with terrible hands with a lengthy injury history including chronic knee issues.

Doug is the biggest one of all that needs to step up for Wentz in 2020 and hes not even on the list?. If he has the same play design, game planning, play calling etc as he has, this offense will be the same as it has been in 16,18,19 which is below avg. Time to use your entire coaching staff and stop being bull headed. Go back to what made you successful in 17.

Wentz himself also needs to step up. I’m not buying the top 5 QB yet. He certainly has that potential, but need to see more consistency.

'One of the Top 5 QB's in the game' is properly absurd unless he means in terms of salary at this point. I get people think a few of the old sacred cows are fading with age but I could name 5 QB's I'd take over Carson if we were talking about this year right now.

10 hours ago, DeathByEagle said:

Doug is the biggest one of all that needs to step up for Wentz in 2020 and hes not even on the list?. If he has the same play design, game planning, play calling etc as he has, this offense will be the same as it has been in 16,18,19 which is below avg. Time to use your entire coaching staff and stop being bull headed. Go back to what made you successful in 17.

I would like to think the hires of Scangarello, Mornhinweg, and Breiner means the offense is going to look quite a bit different (**knock on wood**).  

• Like 2

18 hours ago, time2rock said:

I would like to think the hires of Scangarello, Mornhinweg, and Breiner means the offense is going to look quite a bit different (**knock on wood**).  

Hopefully. If it doesn't then what were those coaching changes and additions about? They have to input new looks and wrinkles in to this offense. They have to get creative. 

3 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

They have to input new looks and wrinkles in to this offense. They have to get creative. 

Without a doubt.  Offense became a bit too stale and predictable over the past couple of seasons.  

• Like 1