xzmattzx

What types of board games or card games do you play with your family?  I'm looking for some suggestions.  This would be adults and kids, so no Cards Against humanity or anything like that.

There's quite a few good games that we play, that can be for small groups or large groups.

Dixit (medium groups)

Apple To Apples (big groups)

Man Bites Dog (any size groups)

Bob Ross Game (any size groups)

Dutch Blitz (any size groups)

Anomia (any size groups)

chicke is huge into games and finds these  board/card games that i've never heard off but has been batting a 1000 so far in her choices:

1. settlers of catan series
  2. guillotine
  3. bohnanza

i grew up with Risk but my mother had this, great game if you can find it:

milles bornes

I love Risk, but dividing up those pieces from 10 to 3 to 1 or whatever is a big pain in the arse.  I like playing Risk online instead.  I've been playing it at conquerclub.com.

Lol first time playing Cards Against Humanity was with a bunch of adults in my family. Had no idea the dark minds of people I call family :lol:

• Haha 1

Scene It is a pretty fun game.  We've got 3 versions - Sports Scene It, Seinfeld, and Squabble.    

We also have Pictionary, Cards Against Humanity, What do you Meme (stupid), Apples to Apples, 

I play a lot of Euro games, which can be a bit pricey but the quality of the game and the artwork inside makes it worth it. 

My recommendations are largely based on age range.

For younger Families - I'd recommend Ticket To Ride (I generally recommend that game for anyone but especially those with younger kids as its fairly easy to pick up), Settlers of Catan Jr.  Both are fun as adults but fairly simple.

For teenagers and up - Settlers of Catan is great. Small World is like a fantasy version of Risk removing most of the luck.  Alhambra is fun, but the expansions make it better. Lords of Vegas is a great combination of luck and strategy. Five Tribes is a truly unique game that has massive replayability. Dominion is a great deck building game, same with Smash Up. 

For adults - Puerto Rico, Castles of Burgundy, Agricola are all great but you are getting more up there in complexity. 

Social Games: Codenames is a lot of fun. Cranium, Scattegories, Taboo, Balderdash.  Also some of the Jackbox TV games (not necessarily a board game) like Quiplash are great and a lot of fun. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 20Safety_Hazards said:

I play a lot of Euro games, which can be a bit pricey but the quality of the game and the artwork inside makes it worth it. 

For younger Families - I'd recommend Ticket To Ride (I generally recommend that game for anyone but especially those with younger kids as its fairly easy to pick up), Settlers of Catan Jr.  Both are fun as adults but fairly simple.

For teenagers and up - Settlers of Catan is great. Small World is like a fantasy version of Risk removing most of the luck.  Alhambra is fun, but the expansions make it better. Lords of Vegas is a great combination of luck and strategy. Five Tribes is a truly unique game that has massive replayability. Dominion is a great deck building game, same with Smash Up. 

For adults - Puerto Rico, Castles of Burgundy, Agricola are all great but you are getting more up there in complexity. 

Social Games: Codenames is a lot of fun. Cranium, Scattegories, Taboo, Balderdash.  Also some of the Jackbox TV games (not necessarily a board game) like Quiplash are great and a lot of fun. 

Good stuff 20! - will have to check some of them out.

Jackbox - we have them on our Fire TV and its a blast with a bunch of people playing.

Balderdash - If you are playing with the right mix of people it can be hilarious.

12 hours ago, 20Safety_Hazards said:

Thanks, I'll look some of those up!

My parents already have Ticket to Ride and Cranium.  Both are good!  My brother and his wife have quite a few good games.  Man Bites Dog, Dixit, and some Bob Ross game are all pretty fun!

I’ve see Man Bites Dog haven’t gotten around to playing it yet. I’ve played Dixit, it’s pretty good but I am not as big a fan of it as Apples to Apples or Quiplash. 

I’m pretty big into board games so I got some other examples if you are looking for suggestions. Those are just some of my favorites. If you have a general idea what you like i.e. strategy, cooperative, party, luck, card based, simple, complicated, word based, etc, I can provide some additional recs. (Now that I’ve revealed myself as a huge board game nerd)

Also there are some great cooperative games out there too, Forbidden Island, Pandemic (maybe not the best theme right now), Flashpoint are all great. There’s also another game called shadows over Camelot which is a cooperative game based on King Arthur with the added element that every player is dealt a loyalty card at the beginning of the game where it’s possible that someone at your table is a traitor and actually working against you which makes things more interesting. 

15 minutes ago, 20Safety_Hazards said:

There’s also another game called shadows over Camelot which is a cooperative game based on King Arthur with the added element that every player is dealt a loyalty card at the beginning of the game where it’s possible that someone at your table is a traitor and actually working against you which makes things more interesting. 

chickie bought that game, played it one game night....a lot to do on any given turn, if you're a fan of RPG games on CPU, this is the game for you. 

• Like 1

Yeah, the wife likes Shadows a lot. She usually doesn’t like cooperative games because she feels they get dominated by one player telling everyone what to do. Here the loyalty card protects against it Since you can’t fully trust anyone, it kinda creates an environment where everyone has to play their own game and make their own decisions.

11 minutes ago, 20Safety_Hazards said:

Yeah, the wife likes Shadows a lot. She usually doesn’t like cooperative games because she feels they get dominated by one player telling everyone what to do. Here the loyalty card protects against it Since you can’t fully trust anyone, it kinda creates an environment where everyone has to play their own game and make their own decisions.

i must profess ignorance, i was a couple extra tequilas into the game that night and do not recall a loyalty card but  given my boys were raised on risk, that would likely go right out the door after two rounds. which reminds me, chickie also introduced us to Betrayal at House on the Hill, which has some co-op game play and wasn't so bad. 

Betrayal is a great one. I don’t have it, we’re not really into horror-themed games. But I’ve seen it played and the logistics are great. 

Wil Wheaton used to do a video series on YouTube called Table Top that was excellent. He does a brief intro on how to play the game then plays it with some friends or celebrity guests (not huge names but some people you might recognize). Many, though not all, of the games I mentioned above are featured on there. There’s a hilarious episode featuring Rhett and link playing concept that is well worth the watch. Haven’t played concept yet but plan to pick it up if it’s ever on sale.

yep, watched a couple of those. especially the one with Ashley Johnson 💖

wow, there was one with John Scalzi ??!! 💗

Are the cones a metaphor? Well yes and no.

• Like 2

I’m not gonna lie, having heard they filmed that scene for four hours, I would love to see a full extended scene of Ben just explaining the rules.

• Like 1