ROSTER MOVES: EAGLES SIGN FIVE PLAYERS, CUT GREEDY WILLIAMS

time2rock

ROSTER MOVES: EAGLES SIGN FIVE PLAYERS, CUT GREEDY WILLIAMS

August 19, 2023
Eagles

The Eagles have made a flurry of roster moves ahead of Saturday’s practice.

Per the team, Philadelphia has released CB Greedy Williams and P Ty Zentner, amongst other moves.

image.thumb.png.e06cb0e80f5113adba1a811d1916882c.png

Williams signed a one-year, $3.5M deal with the Eagles in free agency but failed to separate himself throughout the summer. The former Browns corner is owed just $600k fully guaranteed of his salary.

With Ty Zentner’s release, Arryn Siposs appears to have won the punter competition. Siposs graded out as one of the worst punters in 2022; I expect Howie Roseman to see who else is available around the league.

CB Zech McPhearson and WR Tyrie Cleveland were both injured in Thursday night’s game against the Browns and have been waived with injury designations, along with DT Noah Ellis. If any players clear waivers, they can revert back to IR. McPhearson suffered a torn Achilles and will miss the 2023 season.

To fill roster space, the Eagles signed the following players:

• DT Robert Cooper
  • DT Marvin Wilson
  • DT Caleb Sanders
  • LB Tyreek Maddox-Williams
  • LB Quinton Bell

image.png.80673464fc30429d1d623e66e25921c2.png

https://thelibertyline.com/2023/08/19/eagles-cut-greedy-williams/

So when it says wavered for Cleveland and McPhearson what does that actually mean? As in they’ve been released off the roster and could sign elsewhere? Would be a shame but I get it.

On 8/22/2023 at 3:14 PM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

So when it says wavered for Cleveland and McPhearson what does that actually mean? As in they’ve been released off the roster and could sign elsewhere? Would be a shame but I get it.

Waived means any other team (in order of waiver priority) can claim them and pick up their current contract as is. Players with 3 or less seasons in the NFL get waived, only players with 4 or more years get released I.e. free to sign with whatever team they want)

Certain times of the year (I think after the trade deadline) all players have to go through waivers even including the 4+ year veterans.

When waived with an injury designation if the player goes unclaimed he reverts to the original teams Injured Reserve. It gives a little more future transactional flexibility than simply placing the waived / injured player directly on Injured Reserve (at the Risk of some other team actually claiming the players rights)

• Like 1