Delaware

xzmattzx

This can be an ongoing and open-ended thread for all things Delaware.

Any other Delawareans?

Anyone coming to Delaware that has questions?

I was born in Wilmington. Does that count?

What is everyone's favorite hole-in-the-wall or under-the-radar restaurant?  I like the Mayne Dish on Kirkwood Highway across the street from the BJ's near Elsmere.  It's a great Jamaican restaurant with good lunch prices.

• 3 weeks later...

No sales tax!!

That’s probably the extent of my knowledge about Delaware.  A friend of mine from high school had a beach house in Rehoboth.  I also drove through it from Philly once to go down to Ocean City, MD.  Beautiful 1 mile stretch!  That’s all I got!  

I used to like the Charcoal Pit.  Just for a simple cheeseburger and a really good old fashioned shake.  Is it still there?

• Like 1

On 7/4/2020 at 11:12 AM, xzmattzx said:

What is everyone's favorite hole-in-the-wall or under-the-radar restaurant? 

Down at the beach...

Woody's in Dewey Beach has the best crabcakes. I've eaten at all the best places in Baltimore, this one is right on par with them.

Taco Reho is a taco truck that sits out on Rt. 1, just outside of Rehoboth between the outlets. I don't even have a recommendation, everything they make is really good. They have to put something extra in the taco shells to make you crave them.

• Like 1

On 7/21/2020 at 9:46 AM, DrPhilly said:

I used to like the Charcoal Pit.  Just for a simple cheeseburger and a really good old fashioned shake.  Is it still there?

The original one on Concord Pike from 1954 is still there.  The one in Pike Creek burned down about a decade ago.  There's a Charcoal Pit sports bar on Kirkwood Highway, too.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

80036_A1_C_D594_48_FB_BC22_CE9895696_E73

I miss the Kahuna. I puked there once during a black crows concert after drinking "the bucket". Good times. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/25/2020 at 9:56 AM, Gannan said:

80036_A1_C_D594_48_FB_BC22_CE9895696_E73

I miss the Kahuna. I puked there once during a black crows concert after drinking "the bucket". Good times. 

The Riverfront is continuing to come along.  But good bars are still somewhat lacking.

Total Wine Namaans Road....

my "im over the bridge so F it im going to total wine to stock up tax free" stop then hit the circle K across the street for some POLAR POP ACTION

• 3 weeks later...

Lived in DE pretty much my whole life. Bear, Pike Creek, Newark, and now in North Wilmington. 

Two hour drive to the beaches, two hour drive to the Poconos, hour and a half train ride to NYC (where my In Laws are located). I am happy here. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Yeah. Asians own it, but the burgers are still the bomb. I'm down in Greenville fishing on all the private ponds. The DuPont, Carpenter, Hobbs families all live down there and if you get to know one, you're in. Good stuff. Plus, you can sneak into Hoopes which is unfortunately now ruined by teenagers from PA. Delaware BASS Page killed it. 

Used to be in North Delaware every day. Even would go musky fishing down on the Brandywine. 

Now I don't bother. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, stinkfist said:

Yeah. Asians own it, but the burgers are still the bomb. I'm down in Greenville fishing on all the private ponds. The DuPont, Carpenter, Hobbs families all live down there and if you get to know one, you're in. Good stuff. Plus, you can sneak into Hoopes which is unfortunately now ruined by teenagers from PA. Delaware BASS Page killed it. 

Used to be in North Delaware every day. Even would go musky fishing down on the Brandywine. 

Now I don't bother. 

Yeah man.  I know that area very well.  Super nice down there.  Used to drive all those back roads there all the time.  Especially a bit further up toward PA line.  Buckleys was the prime watering hole.  Years ago though.

3 minutes ago, DrPhilly said:

Yeah man.  I know that area very well.  Super nice down there.  Used to drive all those back roads there all the time.  Especially a bit further up toward PA line.  Buckleys was the prime watering hole.  Years ago though.

Yeah, I've eaten there. $10 for a grilled cheese sandwich. LOL. I park down on Adams Dam and then sneak into Bidermann Golf Course at night to fish. Like shooting fish in a barrel. LOL. 

3 minutes ago, stinkfist said:

Yeah, I've eaten there. $10 for a grilled cheese sandwich. LOL. I park down on Adams Dam and then sneak into Bidermann Golf Course at night to fish. Like shooting fish in a barrel. LOL. 

Well yeah it ain't the cheapest place around :lol:

I didn't fish down there.  We were usually just driving around getting into trouble, hanging out down by the river, whatever.

Hated Wilmington when I lived there. Immediately missed it when I left.

Used to haunt the diner on Concord Pike, which I think is now a Dunkin Donuts. It was owned by Turks and a buddy who was Greek would always play the counter games and enter in "Turkslayer" as his name on every high score.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Lived there for years in the early '90's....worked for MBNA....f'ing hated Delaware.  Although working for MBNA did give me the opportunity to open up their west coast office in San Francisco so I guess there's that....

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/27/2021 at 7:37 AM, NYEagle said:

Lived there for years in the early '90's....worked for MBNA....f'ing hated Delaware.  Although working for MBNA did give me the opportunity to open up their west coast office in San Francisco so I guess there's that....

Did you stay at MBNA during their transition to Bank of America, NYEagle? That was some time ago, but so was MBNA. EVERYONE worked there back in the day.

Sorry ya hated DE, small states aren't for everyone. 

4 hours ago, LacesOut said:

Did you stay at MBNA during their transition to Bank of America, NYEagle? That was some time ago, but so was MBNA. EVERYONE worked there back in the day.

Sorry ya hated DE, small states aren't for everyone. 

Nah...was gone from MBNA by then.  That place WAS Delaware.  Everywhere I went, there was an MBNA person I knew.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Different owners now - it's not the same.  Places like Freddy's, Smashburger and Shake Shack have caught up. 

The Costco in Christiana for their house brand Tequila Anejo, Vodka, and other spirits