Moving on from Nigel Bradham deemed the Eagles riskiest offseason move

UK_EaglesFan89

Moving on from Nigel Bradham deemed the Eagles riskiest offseason move

In a cost-cutting move that would allow younger players to take his place, the Philadelphia Eagles allowed linebacker Nigel Bradham to walk in free agency despite having no one on the roster with his in-game experience.

Bradham started 58 games for the Eagles over the last four years and now after the Eagles allowed him to test free agency, Bleacher Report deemed moving on from the linebacker as the Birds riskiest offseason move.

The Eagles return the athletic and talented Nathan Gerry and have high hopes for 2019 undrafted free agent T.J. Edwards. Jatavis Brown was signed in free agency as well, but none of those players combined have Bradham’s in-game experience.

It’ll be interesting to see how the competition plays out and rookie Davion Taylor could be a name to watch as well.

https://theeagleswire.usatoday.com/2020/07/03/philadelphia-eagles-nfl-nigel-bradham-free-agency-riskiest-offseason-move/

I definitely think it's a risk without that experienced player at the position. Bradham’s performances had dropped but I'd still take him over Gerry.

Bradham was terrible last year and Edwards won't be a downgrade. Also, the team apparently really likes Riley, and I would be fine in giving him a chance to see if he has corrected the mistakes he was making in Atlanta. I also think Singleton should get a shot this year to see what he can do. He looked good in preseason last year, and I think he would have been an upgrade over Bradham/KGH.

Also, the riskiest move to me is whatever happens at SS. I don't think Mills will be able to replace Jenkins since he's 15 pounds lighter, and Jenkins was already too light for the position. But he did make some plays from that spot, so whomever we put there needs to produce. If we are looking for a Jenkins clone, Parks seems much more suited for it, plus he played there in Denver.

If anything, Mills should be in the running to replace McLeod or just leave him at corner. 

• Like 1

I agree completely with jsb above. Bradham just didn't show up last year and it'll be hard to do worse than that. I love  the Patriots mode of letting guys go a year too early instead of a year too late and I wish the Eagles would do much more of it. So - even if Bradham has something left I'm glad he's gone. 

While I do not necessarily disagree with it, heading into the draft with zero additions at WR was, by far, the riskiest offseason "move."

The move that seems to carry the most risk is putting the blindside protection for our franchise QB in the hands of a complete unknown.  Granted Peters isn't what he used to be, but you knew what to expect following years of building chemistry in the system and he kept the QB clean for the most part.  We have zero idea of what to expect with Dillard.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, time2rock said:

The move that seems to carry the most risk is putting the blindside protection for our franchise QB in the hands of a complete unknown.  Granted Peters isn't what he used to be, but you knew what to expect following years of building chemistry in the system and he kept the QB clean for the most part.  We have zero idea of what to expect with Dillard.  

Well let's wait and see. It may be that they end up bringing him back...

Just now, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Well let's wait and see. It may be that they end up bringing him back...

I was about to say he's still on the street I thought. 

2 minutes ago, Diehardfan said:

I was about to say he's still on the street I thought. 

Yeah he is though I think bringing him back does create other potential issues. 

1 minute ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Yeah he is though I think bringing him back does create other potential issues. 

Oh? I'd love some more depth there. 

1 hour ago, Diehardfan said:

Oh? I'd love some more depth there. 

What does it say about their confidence in Dillard?

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

What does it say about their confidence in Dillard?

What? LB?

10 hours ago, time2rock said:

Dillard will be fine.  If he's not, I'll eat crow, but he was way above average at LT when he replaced Peters last season.  I think the media painted a very bad picture of Dillard out of nowhere this offseason.  Until that happened, everyone agreed we had a steal and the future at LT.  

Just now, hputenis said:

Dillard will be fine.  If he's not, I'll eat crow, but he was way above average at LT when he replaced Peters last season.  I think the media painted a very bad picture of Dillard out of nowhere this offseason.  Until that happened, everyone agreed we had a steal and the future at LT.  

I obviously hope you are right about him but kinda hard to know exactly what you have in him without more playtime by which to make a full evaluation.  What he did in college doesn’t mean squat.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, time2rock said:

I obviously hope you are right about him but kinda hard to know exactly what you have in him without more playtime by which to make a full evaluation.  What he did in college doesn’t mean squat.

He got a good amount of playing time last year, since Peters gets hurt so much.  He was borderline awesome against the Bills.  Unless he doesn't have the mental make-up, the kid has the physical tools and should only continue to get better.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, hputenis said:

He got a good amount of playing time last year, since Peters gets hurt so much.  He was borderline awesome against the Bills.  Unless he doesn't have the mental make-up, the kid has the physical tools and should only continue to get better.  

No doubt.  My comment was more a generic one ... same argument used for all draft picks (takes a couple of seasons to really know what you have).  Definitely one to keep an eye on this upcoming season (if there is one).  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, time2rock said:

No doubt.  My comment was more a generic one ... same argument used for all draft picks (takes a couple of seasons to really know what you have).  Definitely one to keep an eye on this upcoming season (if there is one).  

I certainly think the current situation gives the Eagles an almost perfect excuse to bring him back if they want to. 

6 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I certainly think the current situation gives the Eagles an almost perfect excuse to bring him back if they want to. 

I'd prefer him to be considered more a fall back option at this point ... I want Dillard to be given every opportunity to become our permanent LT now and for the future.  I want him to make good on being selected in the 1st rd last year.  I'd hate to see another high pick underwhelm.  God I hope he pans out!  

3 minutes ago, time2rock said:

I'd prefer him to be considered more a fall back option at this point ... I want Dillard to be given every opportunity to become our permanent LT now and for the future.  I want him to make good on being selected in the 1st rd last year.  I'd hate to see another high pick underwhelm.  God I hope he pans out!  

You and me both and at some point we have to trust Dillard right? But I can just see this current situation giving the organisation an almost perfect excuse. 

2 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

You and me both and at some point we have to trust Dillard right? But I can just see this current situation giving the organisation an almost perfect excuse. 

Current situation as in the pandemic forcing them to miss a large chunk of the offseason?  Or as in Brooks being out due to injury?  If the former I don't know ... he isn't a rookie so I wouldn't expect him to be as impacted as someone like Reagor.  

10 hours ago, time2rock said:

Current situation as in the pandemic forcing them to miss a large chunk of the offseason?  Or as in Brooks being out due to injury?  If the former I don't know ... he isn't a rookie so I wouldn't expect him to be as impacted as someone like Reagor.  

I think it's a really tricky situation for a lot of our players. JJAW is another who needed an off season with a new positions coach. Jones is another. So I do think I puts some of these young players in a really difficult position. 

4 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I think it's a really tricky situation for a lot of our players. JJAW is another who needed an off season with a new positions coach. Jones is another. So I do think I puts some of these young players in a really difficult position. 

True, hadn't taken into consideration he'd be working with a new WR coach.  Plus the offense is likely to look quite a bit different so that puts these guys even further behind the 8 ball.  

16 minutes ago, time2rock said:

True, hadn't taken into consideration he'd be working with a new WR coach.  Plus the offense is likely to look quite a bit different so that puts these guys even further behind the 8 ball.  

Yeah see I think those changes to the offense will now be slightly reduced and lessened as a result of the current situation. I think the offense will be made slightly more basic especially for the first few weeks and that will probably be the case for the majority of the NFL.

LB is under used in Jim's defense. We are a nickel big defense with a sub safety at LB. You can even see it in the LBs they sign, drafted etc. Theya re small, fast safety style LBs. I liked Bradham but at some point you have to move on and get younger, cheaper players in the mix. It would not surprise me if they brought him back on the cheap. Id be fine with either. Next year will be the true test cause what will this defense scheme look like next year under a new DC with Jim's contract expired. If the FO wanted him back, he would be extended by now.