Deion Jones (Former Panthers LB) -- Released

eaglesfan0075

Deion Jones spent the first 6 seasons of his career with the Falcons as a starting LB and was a Pro Bowler in the 2017-18 season. However he was traded to the Browns last season and had a down year compared to his time with the Falcons. The Panthers brought him in this offseason, but just released him with final cuts.

Of course, that leads to wonder if the Panthers are so quick to release Jones, should teams be eager to sign him? 

I think we can get by with Zach Cunningham and Nakobe Dean as the starters at WILL and MIKE respectively with Haason Reddick as the "SAM", but the depth behind them is quite thin with our remaining LB on the roster being Christian Ellis, Patrick Johnson, and Nolan Smith (unless I missed any recent signings news). 

Smith is essentially Reddick's backup, and on certain packages perhaps they'll be on the field simultaneously, whick leaves Ellis and Johnson as our remaining options if something were to happen to Cunningham or Dean 😬

Jones might not be a bonafide starter anymore, but he's still only 28 and has valuable starting experience at a high level prior to last year. At this stage of the process, all of the available guys are going to have some red flags. I think it's worth kicking the tires on Jones for depth. 

20 hours ago, NJWolverEagle11 said:

His PFF grades the last two seasons have been pretty bad (48.3, 34.6), but his PFF scores from his rookie season in 2016 to 2020 have all been very solid:

2016: 65.8

2017: 87.6

2018: 73.7

2019: 76.6

2020: 68.7

More of an upside signing to see if he can be at least a passable starter for a period of time, in case of injury to Cunningham/Dean. Worst case scenario is he's no better than Ellis and Johnson, but best case scenario he's at least an upgrade as a backup.

2 hours ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

His PFF grades the last two seasons have been pretty bad (48.3, 34.6), but his PFF scores from his rookie season in 2016 to 2020 have all been very solid:

2016: 65.8

2017: 87.6

2018: 73.7

2019: 76.6

2020: 68.7

More of an upside signing to see if he can be at least a passable starter for a period of time, in case of injury to Cunningham/Dean. Worst case scenario is he's no better than Ellis and Johnson, but best case scenario he's at least an upgrade as a backup.

I only remember his name from those Atlanta games of the wentz/foles era. I think in the 18 opener vs us (i was there) he suffered some season ending injury iirc